New styles/trends in psytrance you've noticed recently

Ormion

As we all know Psy/Goa is an ever-changing, dynamic musical genre. Just in 20 years it has changed in so many ways and it has gone in many different places. The general consensus is that the last years is getting stale, but IMO there's always new trends.

3 trends/evolution of styles that I have noticed the last 2-3 years.

1. The Doof/UK Psytrance style

This is basically similar to Nano records style, but it has exploded in the last years. There are a shit-ton of albums and compilations from this genre and it's becoming more popular by the day. I call it Doof style, but I think ppl call it UK Full On or UK Psytrance.

It's basically a mix of dark full on with darkpsy elements. Many-many effects, almost no melodies at all, but slower, groovier and less experimental than Darkpsy.

2. The simpler Forest psy

This is a combination of Forest psy with the above style. It's more minimalistic and less melodic and mysterious than regular Forest, but still deep. I see a lot of forest compilations going in that style.

3. The neurotrance

This is not new, but many artists follow this style. This is basically Psykovsky style. It's very experimental, with many tempo variations and with ambient atmospheres. It's more messed up than regular darkpsy and different than Hitech which is full fx and glitches.

Any new trends that you have noticed?

huh, i always thought this was neurotrance

i.e melodic and happier progressive darkpsy. i guess psykovsky has that nice neurotrance moment in wishful sinful at 06:07 (although it disappears when the evil bagpipe enters like a bad shroom trip)

other than that, didnt think neurotrance was a real thing until now. real thing as in subgenre.

• Like 1

huh, i always thought this was neurotrance

dj searcher! i was in love with his mixtapes for a while. especially alpha centauri (which is still my definition of how darkpsy has to sound) ;)

people have called all sorts of music "neurotrance" for a long time. i've heard the term for various styles of darkpsy (in the sense you mention but equally often for hitech or psycore), for psytrance in general and even for what we call normal trance (as opposed to the extremely cheesy vocal "trance" which those people classified as normal)...

@topic

i've also noticed uk psytrance rising in popularity. seemingly it also has become a bit more like darkpsy over the years (your first example is darker than anything i remember)...

That what you call Doof here we call UK psytrance / Twilight and i love it! My favorite style after Goa, and i enjoy playing sets here and there :)

As i don't follow much other styles, no time really... i noticed Goa improved a lot! Yeah, still for most is same multilayered shit again and again but not for me.

Last few years production improved a lot imo. Mixes are more and more clean, months by months, kicks and basses are ultrafat like modern ones but melodies become more old schoolish somehow. Five years ago everything was somehow oriental with plenty of pads, now becoming more psychedelic and deeper.

Now some technics and stuff from psychedelic and progressive being used in Goa, such as FM, fart sounds, acids, noizes, drone sounds and thanks to joining old and new Goa is much bigger now, see festivals around the world, there is always some Goa trance. And people are going crazy wherever you play it. I love this improvement :)

Some examples:

Mindblowing track, always making fantastic atmoshpere and destroying people:

Probably track of the year, full of deep psychedelic background yet euforic:

So old schoolish but so modern around third minute, people love this:

From new serbian project, better known for his progressive side - Nature project... this track makes dancefloor explodes, any crowd:

Celestial Intelligence whole album!!! Their live sets are one of the best, full power psychedelic goa trance. Goa is going to be big again :)

As i don't follow much other styles, no time really... i noticed Goa improved a lot! Yeah, still for most is same multilayered shit again and again but not for me.

Last few years production improved a lot imo. Mixes are more and more clean, months by months, kicks and basses are ultrafat like modern ones but melodies become more old schoolish somehow. Five years ago everything was somehow oriental with plenty of pads, now becoming more psychedelic and deeper.

Yea! agreed. I look forward more and more to new albums and comps, as its VERY interesting to see what the pros come up with. A few years back it didnt feel that way, as you kinda already knew what the album would sound like. Kinda.

Now its alot more in the surprise area, which is awesome.

btw imba, you really ARE imbalanced. How quickly u became a very very skilled goa trance producer, just spitting out great tracks all over the place. Im very impressed :)

That what you call Doof here we call UK psytrance / Twilight and i love it! My favorite style after Goa, and i enjoy playing sets here and there :)

Now some technics and stuff from psychedelic and progressive being used in Goa, such as FM, fart sounds, acids, noizes, drone sounds and thanks to joining old and new Goa is much bigger now, see festivals around the world, there is always some Goa trance. And people are going crazy wherever you play it. I love this improvement :)

Some examples:

Very well said and described

That's what I've been noticing too for Goa productions... a swift to a fuller, more fat. sinister sound, while the previous years it has all been about the melodic happy morning style (i.e crop circles/mfg style) now I'm getting more and more tracks that remind me of Darshan, Technossomy, BotFB... I really enjoy it and it's more easily mixed with modern full-on tracks.

Every now and then I check a few things and hope that somebody created something original, but I come back disappointed every time :P Psytrance has artistically been sinking in tar for the last 10-15 years at least, people love the conventions too much to dare try to find some interesting places between genres and their own ideas.