Your favourite parties and why :) (a top 3?)

Anoebis

So, this is already years ago I saw this question pass! :)

The question is simple, what were your 3 best party experiences of your life, and also... Why? :)

For me, after around 700 parties in my life, these must be my top 3 of all time :)

- Samothraki 2001! Why? This was the first festival where I could say almost ALL my favourites on this crazy amazing location... :) Man With No Name, Slinky Wizard, Kox Box, Hallucinogen, Electric Universe, Jaia, Zorba,... you name it! Lots of old school goa-trance, lots of "beginning" full on which was still great music and happening on the beach with a CRAZY atmosphere!

If you want to know what I mean, watch this movie at 10.30 (!!!!) I still remember that moment, what a frenzy!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cvj-k-bmuo

- Goa Balkan Fanatics 2014! Well... After 10 years of psy trance festivals with 1-10 hours of goa-trance and being bored most of the rest of the time, I had high expectations for this one... And my god, it was even better as expected! :) Pure underground 300 people festival, between the trees, with only the best old and new goa-trance! Lots of music I didn't hear before (I was getting bored of hearing the old stuff over and over again) and well... The best dancing moments I had in so many years! :) And what a line up! The whole Suntrip crew with the best of the rest as well! :) Here again, this movie proves how the crowd and the energy was!

And well, on the third spot probably a Belgian party (Fractal Gate) with Etnica playing his first old school set in around 10 years... I was blown into the universe like NEVER before, since that moment Maurizzio is my god... ;) No movies

No movies, as EVERYONE, all 1200 people were with their hands in the air! :D

1) My first gig... I can't remember the year now, but was 16 years old and borrowed my friend's paper to see Eat Static. They were still performing together back then. Crazy show!

2) The first pure old school goa trance party me and mates threw back in 2011... it was located in Helsinki on a small "island" (maybe 50m x 50m so really small) and around 150-200 people came there. The location was magical, the music was all 90s retro goa trance so any need to say more? Everybody smiling... even the cops who arrived to check the situation seemed to like the music hehe.

3) Is probably still to come. ;-)

Hard to say exactly, can't remember them all after 15+ years :)

But one that I still occasionally think back to with a nostalgic smile is Logic Bomb in Helsinki back in 2003 or so (after the release of Unlimited in any case IIRC). That was some massively huge burst of energy.

2) The first pure old school goa trance party me and mates threw back in 2011...

Dude, that was 2012 :)

@Anoebis: I agree Samothraki 2002 is memorable. I'd driven from Paris to Belgium in order to take the plane with Anoebis and his friends. It was just after the Psynews Summer Launch party we'd organized together, it was at a moment where strong links were drawn...Suntrip has its deeper roots in that summer and these parties (we even met Jannis, who had yet to become Filteria, for the first time there). But still, it's not in my top3, probably nr4.

1) The music festival 1998 in Paris where I first attended the Osmose Party (Total Eclipse, Xerox & Freeman, Elixir, Oforia, Hallucinogen, Space Cat, Astral Projection, and Max of Etnica) and a few hours later the next day, another daytime party on an island of the Seine river with Bamboo Forest, Psychaos and X-Dream to name a few... I literrally collapsed after that!

BTW a small anecdote about the Osmose party: Max had been playing fabulous stuff for less than one hour when one of the promoters took a microphone and announced the party was over. It was 11AM and yet people complained!!!! So he said "ok we're going to strip down the party place and we'll disconnect the sound system last!". So we could keep on dancing! Crazy times...

2) The "Ultimae" Ambient night at the Aurora 2009 festival, Greece: Asura, Aes Dana, Solar Fields, HUVA Network, Cell, and so on......Impossible to describe. I remember collapsing on the beach during the Cell live act and watching at the stars, astounded to be allowed to live such a moment...I took a nap in my tent, watched the sunrise, and came back to see CBL, Eat Static and more...just too good to be true. If you weren't there, you just missed a once in a lifetime experience.

3) Some smaaaaaaaaal party in Belgium, called "Hakuna" on Feb 6th 2004. It was a very peculiar context: back in November 2003 there had been a huge police bust during another gig where Astral Projection had played, lots of drugs had been seized, and it was very delicate to organize anything after that without having your party shut down. So on the evening of Hakuna, which only featured local DJs, word was out that the police were watching...and everyone left his "products" home. The outcome was that at 11AM the next day, e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e was still dancing with a smile on his face!! After all these years, there's still a photo of that party with us dancing arms raised in my living room.

Ah, there were others, like that goa party under the lighthouse of Portinax, Ibiza; like some Old Is Gold or Fractal Gate parties in Belgium, and you never know what the future may bring, but as of today, those above are my top 3 :)

2) The "Ultimae" Ambient night at the Aurora 2009 festival, Greece: Asura, Aes Dana, Solar Fields, HUVA Network, Cell, and so on......Impossible to describe. I remember collapsing on the beach during the Cell live act and watching at the stars, astounded to be allowed to live such a moment...I took a nap in my tent, watched the sunrise, and came back to see CBL, Eat Static and more...just too good to be true. If you weren't there, you just missed a once in a lifetime experience.

Musically, hell yeah! Carbon Based Lifeforms, Asura, Aes Dana, HUVA Network and all the others, at the highpoint of their productions, playing for 30-50 people maximum :) everyone dancing or chilling at the beach... BUT, the overal experience of those festivals were not as good as some others for me (although the best for sure around 2010!!)

3) Some smaaaaaaaaal party in Belgium, called "Hakuna" on Feb 6th 2004. It was a very peculiar context: back in November 2003 there had been a huge police bust during another gig where Astral Projection had played, lots of drugs had been seized, and it was very delicate to organize anything after that without having your party shut down. So on the evening of Hakuna, which only featured local DJs, word was out that the police were watching...and everyone left his "products" home. The outcome was that at 11AM the next day, e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e was still dancing with a smile on his face!! After all these years, there's still a photo of that party with us dancing arms raised in my living room.

hehe, I organised it with Gonzo... I remember hearing Flamycogire there the first time... :) and yes, everyone was sober, and dancing like crazy... Only that picture, it is following me too long now :P

1.) Psilosiva - Genesis Festival 2011.
Well.. before describe this party itself I must to note that year 2011 was the peak and top year of underground goa trance parties in Israel, before it became commercial and massive again towards the end of 2012, so at that period of time (2007-11) we had plenty of wonderful goa trance parties with a unique movement of people who realized the magic of this music and what supposedly created the vibe we felt back then.
Back to the party - this party organized without any permissions from the police and was totally underground what actually made a freedom feeling to the visitors, located in the south of Israeli desert fields about 20 kilometers to Egypt border, in this party Psilosiva host artists such as: Etnica dj set by Maurizio, Kox Box Live by Franke, X-Dream dj set by Jan and a 3 hours of reunion set by N.Taylor & R.Castle (Rhythmystec), all the sets were of course oldschool and unforgettable, my still favorite and top 1 set that I've ever experienced is Jan's X-Dream dj set he played top tracks of their 3 first albums and he mixed them like a master, the reunion set of Rhythmystec was also a very psychedelic they put all their old projects in this 3 hours of Australian trance story they played from 4-7 morning before Etnica which was a typical of Maurizio's great works, Franke Kob Box combined Psychopod stuff into his set as well... so we couldn't ask for something better :).
Psilosiva had more successful music programs during the years but this party highlighted on many other successes one of them are the energies and people who were there and the vibe surrounded the dancefloor.
Here is some videos from the party:

2.) Ozora Festival 2011.
Mainly because it was my first big festival out of Israel, Ozora 2011 was the last edition which organized by the old team before the revolution in 2012, so I been lucky to visit the last edition of Ozora's golden era, the line up was awesome with artists sush as: X-Dream and The Delta - which without Marcus it could to be more enjoyable sets (Marcus always played with a mixer and I hate it!!!), Filteria - which for me was the best set in Ozora and still in my top 2 of all time, he played mostly from "Daze Of Our Lives" album and closed with "Lunar Civilization Live remix" track, Gus Till, Mike Maguire, Union Jack, Tranan, Raja Ram and Simon Posford.
Chill Out dome was also with wonderfull music program, all the Ultimae artists (CBL, Asura, Aes Dana and many more...)
in this year Ozora had green fields and 2 days of rain ... so I loved it very much and of course the freedom feeling that Ozora offered to every visitor back then, without any policy and rules and "red lines".

3.) Kasha Basha 2010 - Israel.
I could to choose a lot of parties and placed them in 3rd most favorite from international big festival to Psilosiva parties but I chose to go with a small party from Kasha Basha production, and I think mainly because of the vibe that we felt, the people there were look like they just came from some Halloween or masquerade party so colorful and beautiful especially when the dancefloor decorated like a "Clown Circus" so the atmosphere was unique, happiest and funniest I've ever felt, an interesting fact is the party located 5 minutes from on of the most secret and protect placed in Israel - "a Nuclear Research Center", so we had a lot of jokes about that like "freedom against the law", "2 different underground zones" and many more in this sort :D ... the music was also very cool, they booked artist such as: Dick Travor for both Green Nuns and Dickster Live sets, Artifact303 for the first time in Israel and Afgin, so we had Suntrip music there near the Nuclear center :D, after that MFG came but at the end of his set the party has stopped by "Society for the Protection of Nature in Israel" an environmental organization who saw the trash left by the visitors around the place and told to the organizers to stop the party before they call to police, after a non unsuccessful negotiations the stopped it ... but it wasn't so bad because it was at the end so we had a lot of great moment and music until they came.

here is some picture:

http://postimg.org/image/6rz9g9xqf/

So here is my top 3 so far...but this list is still open for changes in the future :)

Arthur.

292275_3600703412756_1644196003_n.jpg?oh

This Spacehopper party in 1996, for several reasons.
The weekend before, I'd been to the "Big Love" outdoor party, by the organisers of Tribal Gathering, but it was a big let-down. It never really took off and the volume was so low that the atmosphere was ruined. Back home at Spacehopper - all my friends were there, the atmosphere and music were amazing and I got together with a lovely little lady who's now my wife. :D

Next up - Cosmo Festival 2012.
Just the best line-up. All my favourite styles of psytrance (other than Goa).

556714_3963016310352_474834274_n.jpg?oh=

547359_3963026870616_942096848_n.jpg?oh=

269274_3962975949343_656184344_n.jpg?oh=

...And I got to meet the big guy! :)

303324_3963024870566_896332219_n.jpg?oh=

Last one - Suntrip 10 years Party, Trancendance Nottingham.

Fantastic to have some proper Goa Trance back in the UK, plus I met a few people off here...

10450829_10204743450922657_6328857654207

Well there is quite a few... Top 3 could be difficult but I can try.. Not in any particular order. *Note - all of mine are from last year or the year before... Just because before that, the rest of my life I had rarely or never heard actual goa at a party! Pretty good few years.

Suntrip 10 Year Anniversary - Belgium (2014)

After whinging to my friends in Australia for years since discovering Suntrip that we would never hear any Goa, they basically all told me to piss off and go hear it for myself then, hah. Nicely though. So I have, and did, and this was the first party I got to see Filteria play live. Wow. I believe I overdid it a little bit on something but still had an amazing night and couldn't quite believe i was finally in Belgium. I remember it was actually really hot which was so weird haha. Awesome party thanks Joske and co. :)

Boom (2014)

Musically, definitely not my style for almost the whole festival but still is the biggest festival i have been to and had an incredible time. Had always been a dream of mine to go and so myself and my gf went by ourselves. Also the goa day/morning was one of the best days of my life so far I think.. hah..That was the day I became even more of a Nebula Meltdown fan... Also got to meet Jannis properly and actually hang out and drill him with questions, really made my day cheers Jannis if u read this ever.

Suntrip 10 Year Anniversary - Nottingham (2014)

After 2 years of nothing but full on and progressive parties in London/UK my ears were aching to hear some goa over there. And hear it they did. That system sounded incredible to me and such a nice vibe, met some great people from here and just generally had an all round amazing time. Was my last party on that side of the world for a while so was probably the best send off I could ask for.

Runner up:

Lost theory (2013)

• Like 1

Back in the 90's here in Melbourne most the warehouse raves had mixed genres played by the dj's. So you'd have a few Psy tracks played in a standard techno set or whatever. Of course many proper Psy/Goa parties but I was usually too lazy to drive so far to the bush.

2002 Outback Eclipse festival in South Australia was insanely hardcore. Middle of the desert, super hot all day. No one emptied the toilets so they leaked in to a huge filthy festering sandy pool that stunk. Third night I accidentally stumble in to the edge. Thank god I was wearing knee high army boots! But seeing full solar eclipse was amazing. Also taking time out on a dose of Valium and vodka watching the stars with my bro was fun.

1995 I danced all night next to Simon Posford without even knowing who he was until at sunrise he took to the stage and I was like "OMG the nerdy dude is Hallucinogen?"

1999 the one and only time I had some of Hoffman's magical liquid at sunrise watching local act Sugar play live :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=100736043312754&set=pb.100001290752503.-2207520000.1422863524.&type=3&theater

GMS 1999 Yokohama Bay Hall Tokoyo.

This one when GMS were at their best in a Japanese crowd. I didn't know what a party was "going off" meant till I went to this one. Still sends a shiver down my spine.

Hallucinogen Yokohama Bay Hall 1999

First time in Japan. Bayhall was a melted frenzy

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=100736679979357&set=pb.100001290752503.-2207520000.1422863784.&type=3&theater

Astral Projection Shibuya Tokyo 1997

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=100736386646053&set=pb.100001290752503.-2207520000.1422863792.&type=3&theater

Was the call to prayer party for me.

I haven't been to a decent party since 2000. Maybe it's about time I went back to Japan. What a place for parties.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=100736043312754&set=pb.100001290752503.-2207520000.1422863524.&type=3&theaterGMS 1999 Yokohama Bay Hall Tokoyo.This one when GMS were at their best in a Japanese crowd. I didn't know what a party was "going off" meant till I went to this one. Still sends a shiver down my spine.Hallucinogen Yokohama Bay Hall 1999First time in Japan. Bayhall was a melted frenzyhttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=100736679979357&set=pb.100001290752503.-2207520000.1422863784.&type=3&theaterAstral Projection Shibuya Tokyo 1997https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=100736386646053&set=pb.100001290752503.-2207520000.1422863792.&type=3&theaterWas the call to prayer party for me.I haven't been to a decent party since 2000. Maybe it's about time I went back to Japan. What a place for parties.

It Japan that I learnt to enjoy dark Psy with Mubali in the mountains at sunrise. He'd done an awesome set the promoter, Mubali & me watched the sunrise together. Magic.