The wonderful world of nootropics

Lemmiwinks

I'm kindof late in discovering this and pretty amazed not more people talk about it. Basically nootropics are "thought enhancers", they make you feel more sharp intellectually and agile, you're also more attentive to details (visual and sound... which makes music sound much better) and enhance memory.

The movie Limitless put nootropics in the Hollywood limelight, of course things in the movie were exaggerated but the basics are pretty real. And the icing on the cake... they are actually GOOD for your health! In theory you could take them every day until the end of your life and it won't do any harm, on the contrary apparently they have a rejuvenating effect on brain cells.

Albert Hoffman, inventor of LSD also invented an ergot-based nootropic called hydergine and he took it every day of his life until he finally died at a respectable 102 (he stopped doing lsd a long time ago) , I find it really odd that most people into the psy world are completely unaware of this...

So anyway, I've ordered some piracetam (the most basic and cheapest of nootropics and a good place to start), I just took 3600 mg in combination with some lechitin (you need to take a source of choline at the same time not to get headaches) and I already felt the effects in less than an hour. Actually I started off the day with a headache from a drinking binge last night and believe it or not about 30 minutes after taking the piracetam, all the hangover effects were gone! And everything felt a lot more sharper, I was more aware of details around me and felt an urge to interact with people (which is also why I'm writing all this ;) ). So basically it feels like a very low dose of E...

So has anyone else tried this? What are your finds?

I found this to be a good read about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracetam not sure I'd try it but seems indeed like a brain enhancer of some sort, except that they refers to test on mices more than humans, but let us know if you feel it makes you working more. The movie was very interesting but of course exaggerated on every part :)

Sounds interesting. (looks into it)

ordered some 8) I usually dont like to even take headache medicine or pills in general of anything. reading how this stuff can help blood problems, I wonder if I can also benefit for the weird thing thats been going on with my veins since September. Just recently got back with a doctor to further plans and still awaiting my phone call ;p

I've heard lots of good stuff about them too. Where are guys ordering /getting them from ? Can you get them OTC ?

I tried to get my hands on Ritlalin, heard it helps with concentration and stuff, but according to the chemist its a schedule X drug and needs a prescription along with 2 signatures from the doctor. I did try and convince my psychologist to prescribe me Ritalin instead of antidepressants but he said thats just a feel good factor and not the solution to my condition . :(

I've heard lots of good stuff about them too. Where are guys ordering /getting them from ? Can you get them OTC ?

I tried to get my hands on Ritlalin, heard it helps with concentration and stuff, but according to the chemist its a schedule X drug and needs a prescription along with 2 signatures from the doctor. I did try and convince my psychologist to prescribe me Ritalin instead of antidepressants but he said thats just a feel good factor and not the solution to my condition . :(

well I guess it depends a lot on which part of the World you're living in... in the US they are completely unregulated substances, so basically you can just buy 10 kg and no one will ask you anything, here in Europe you need a prescription though and, like you said, getting a doctor to actually prescribe the stuff you want is HARD! But do an online search for "piracetam bulk" and you'll find lots of OTC sources ;)

PS mind you, nootropics and Ritalin are 2 completely different substances (Ritalin is an amphetamine actually, so it is much closer chemically speaking to an actual drug...)

well I guess it depends a lot on which part of the World you're living in... in the US they are completely unregulated substances, so basically you can just buy 10 kg and no one will ask you anything, here in Europe you need a prescription though and, like you said, getting a doctor to actually prescribe the stuff you want is HARD! But do an online search for "piracetam bulk" and you'll find lots of OTC sources ;)

PS mind you, nootropics and Ritalin are 2 completely different substances (Ritalin is an amphetamine actually, so it is much closer chemically speaking to an actual drug...)

Im in india , i doubt i can pick up the nootropics in bulk becuase there is a LOT of regulation in this part of the world and anything more than a normal quantity draws raised eyebrows . i'll try my local chemist for it and see whether its possible to pick up a small amount to begin with.

Regd ritalin - yeah its an amphetamine , no wonder i didtn get it OTC inspite of fudging the prescription :P , not that i would have got it anyway . Convincing the doctor was hard . i saw a wry smile appear on his face at the mention of Ritalin . He also asked me whether i was reading about self medication a lot online. Its a pity one needs to go to a doctor and get "permission" when all information is available online and you know exactly what you need <_<

I heard about these a long time ago and I think they have sold drinks with them in them before.

I think torine is concidered one and that's in Red Bull..

umm, yes and no... of course, there are DOZENS of substances that are supposed to improve cognition in one way or another, however only a handfull have actually been clinically proven to work, like racetams. Most of the OTC stuff that is advertised as "smart drugs" contain dubious substances with more fillers than anything else, so one must read a bit on a substance before buying it IMO.

Im in india , i doubt i can pick up the nootropics in bulk becuase there is a LOT of regulation in this part of the world and anything more than a normal quantity draws raised eyebrows . i'll try my local chemist for it and see whether its possible to pick up a small amount to begin with.

Regd ritalin - yeah its an amphetamine , no wonder i didtn get it OTC inspite of fudging the prescription :P , not that i would have got it anyway . Convincing the doctor was hard . i saw a wry smile appear on his face at the mention of Ritalin . He also asked me whether i was reading about self medication a lot online. Its a pity one needs to go to a doctor and get "permission" when all information is available online and you know exactly what you need <_<

ha, funny you say that considering that most of those substances are MADE in India in the first place! With all the "indian ketamine" for sale in Europe I always supposed that it was a place where just about anyone could get any substance if you knew the right people ;)

I purchased mine on ebay ;p

I dont trust Ritalin. A buddy of mine took it when he was younger. I dont trust drugs that dont really solve the problem with someone, just suppress it. So Ritalin for being hyper or aggressive/whatever. nah thanks.

I'm also quite interested in the subject.

Lemmiwinks, are you using it on an every day basis, or just that one time?? If on an every day basis, wich improvements can you see??

TIA!!

yep, to have a noticeable improvement you need to use them every day (maybe take a week off every now and then). They say that you don't really feel the effect kicking in until after 2-3 weeks of daily use so I'm still in the beginner phase. As for the effects umm well, I can feel it's tinkering with my brain, sometimes it actually feels a bit unnatural. For the time being, I notice being more aware about details and improved dream recall when I wake up. On the negative side I have a slight headache in the evenings and I have trouble going to sleep (these are very normal reactions to the substance I'm told). I think this is also because at the beginning I'm taking 3x the "normal" dose (it's recommended that you start with a higher "attack dose" and then go lower). So umm, all in all, it DOES do something to my brain, although I'm miles away from the ultra-intelligence enhancing feeling that is presented in the movie. But many sources say that it's premature to judge before 2-3 weeks, so I'm keeping to it :) Next on my list will definitely be aniracetam :)

On the negative side ... I have trouble going to sleep (these are very normal reactions to the substance I'm told).

Well I was kinda intrigued by this, but if that's a side effect I might need to reconsider. I have enough difficulties sleeping already and I don't really need anything that makes it even worse :/

Thanks for your answer Lemmiwinks, I´m doing some research and probably wil try it out soon. Anything that helps me to concentrate is very welcome. It Also intrigues me the benefits of it when becoming older. All I read it seems quite beneficial.

I purchased mine on ebay ;p

I dont trust Ritalin. A buddy of mine took it when he was younger. I dont trust drugs that dont really solve the problem with someone, just suppress it. So Ritalin for being hyper or aggressive/whatever. nah thanks.

Nothing so gravely wrong with it, it helps with ADD which is a normal consequence of depression . people have experienced higher concentration levels , better memory & the ability to concentrate over longer periods of time . the kind of job im in requires just that and when i was going through the worst part of my depression it was become extremely difficult to cope at work and i really needed some sort of external support to keep me going, luckily not so much anymore.

I spoke to my local chemist yday and he is going to get stock of nootropil tomorrow. Kind of looking forward to it.

Well I was kinda intrigued by this, but if that's a side effect I might need to reconsider. I have enough difficulties sleeping already and I don't really need anything that makes it even worse :/

well I think it depends a lot on the dosage and what time of day you take it. Yesterday I took it early in the morning and it didn't interfere with my sleeping habits at all. Also, the headaches usually mean that you're not taking enough choline, I've upped the choline dose and now the headaches are gone. So I guess it's a pretty hit-and-miss trial until you find the right way of taking it ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I just went out and bought two Gingko extract packages, they include also some vitamin B, we will see how they react on my brain and on my body. Yesterday I bought Voltax with phospholypid and I did not like the effect at all.

Nothing so gravely wrong with it, it helps with ADD which is a normal consequence of depression . people have experienced higher concentration levels , better memory & the ability to concentrate over longer periods of time . the kind of job im in requires just that and when i was going through the worst part of my depression it was become extremely difficult to cope at work and i really needed some sort of external support to keep me going, luckily not so much anymore.

I spoke to my local chemist yday and he is going to get stock of nootropil tomorrow. Kind of looking forward to it.

Ritalin is very closely related to amphetamine: similar in chemical structure, metabolization and clinical effects, means it can make you mentally dependent on it (lots of people abuse Ritalin big time) and means if you use regularly it will lead to similar sidefeffets like speed. Since it shares some similarities with coke It was also used (in a test series) as a substitute for coke addicts. Go figure... Sure it helps you to concentrate and sure it helps if you are suffering from depression. But stuff like that always comes for a price: if you are alleady suffering from depression fucking with your brain chemistry in that way will most likely not make it better in the long run, even when it helps you dealing with the short time effects of that illness. If you think taking Ritalin is not a big thing would you also agree that snorting speed daily (not shitloads but lets say two or three lines to get you through the day) is also no big deal? I can say from personal experiences (with speed and coke, not Ritalin) this is not something I can recommend so maybe you should be glad it is not available without a prescription... Especially because if you manage to get a prescription the doctor will help you with the dosage and what not. On your own the chances are big (imho) that you will fuck it up, doing more damange than good to you.

I wonder how the Nootrop will work, will you keep us updated? :)

Why am I not surprised that you have taken all of that, Tatsu? You are truly a drug taker, you are not an addict but you are a drug taker and I don't think that is good. Taking soft drugs from time to time like cannabies might be ok, but you are taking hard drugs as a woman and that is not really great in my opinion, to say the least.

Well Radi, I never denied I take drugs (I wrote about that pretty openly here in the past and also in other forums) and I would even say I am an addict. Not in the sense of being physically addicted to anything but I get used to taking stuff regularly pretty fast and I need to keep an eye on that. It's up to you what you think about people who take drugs. But your comment about taking hard drugs as a women is rather silly from my point of view. Not because taking hard drugs is not dangerous but because the sideffects and the dangers are rather similar for men and women.

I see you guys are speaking a lot about ritalin.

I know the field....I've been taking ritaline for more than 10 years soon.

I could write a thousand of post about it, but it would take long time.

In order to make short, Im gonna be clear :

If you're having Attention Deficit Disorder trouble, you are the best person who know how to deal with it.

If you're not, keep away of it.

It's not that it's very dangerous, it may be. When you're having ADD and you take such medication, you're always followed by profesionnal personns.

It's not the case when not having the prescription and not having ADD trouble. So you're alone dealing with it.

Of course, if can help concentrating a lot.

But if you take it for longtime you'll see that there's some side effects, which may be very disturbing. People having ADD often take it (Not all) because it help them more then it give them problem.

If you're not having such trouble, it will give you more problem than if will help you.

It all depend on how much you take and how regular, but as I said, keep away of it if you're not having the trouble I mentionned.

After this, this is your choice, you do whatever you want.

But I don't joke, I probably know more on this medication then a lot of doctor.

update after almost 4 weeks of use of piracetam + 1 week aniracetam on top.... well... ummm... not much going on actually, there IS an effect, athough I would call it a mild mood enchancer rather than a thought enhancer. Then again, is it worth bothering going through the hassle of a daily taking routine just for a slight mood increase? Not really sure...

ALTHOUGH I should also mention that it's my 5th week off of umm... other substances, and feeling a mild high from nootropics every day make me not miss having a bigger high from other stuff on weekends so I guess there are advantages after all ;)

What are great psychedelics, maybe legal ones or ones easy to get?

yep, there are many depending on the part of the World you live in, although I'm not sure the moderators here would agree on me giving out a list... just do a google search for online UK labs selling substances ;)