2. Darth Vad On The Moon

3. Nebuleuse

4. Semaphore

5. Aranda

6. Up Days

7. Uranie

8. Transduction

9. E-Tium

I don't know much about Toi Doi other than what his Discogs profile tells me. I reviewed the Mother Pitch EP which I found delightfully dark, but I gotta ask. Is he goa or psytrance? Dimensional Records released the Space Elves album (great) as well as other goa albums so I'm thinking goa, but we'll have to wait and see. Everyone talks about the Technologic album as if it were a goa masterpiece and after that he might have been writing children's books for all I know. Then I come to find out that some of these tracks aren't new at all. So what's going on here? Is he back or just trying to hold me upside down and shake the money out of me?

I think a little of both. What we have here is a psychedelic album with full on bass lines. This review was very difficult to write because nothing stood out to me. Nothing awesome to attach gifs to and nothing terrible to ridicule. It's solid, but I would have to say disappointing. There were parts in each track that were bubbling over and thick with layers keeping me glued. But there were also tracks I kept falling asleep to. Not because they weren't good, but because twists and turns are not his thing. My hopes were up that this would be a bridge to the past and incorporate some of that old school sound. Nope. And then when I found out that half of the tracks aren't even new....well, me have sad face.

Psyshop

Beatspace

Saiko Sounds

Goa Store

Mdk

Yep. From all those new previews on his soundcloud and Mother Pitch EP, I was expecting quite a bit more. This feels like a rehash of the less goa side of things. The super goay cheesy awesome artwork and label would have led me to believe this was a new really good dark-infused unique form of goa/psytrance like on his soundcloud but, alas, no.

What were they thinking with this one? What's wrong with releasing the new, good, stuff?

I really enjoyed Mother Pitch EP and it's one of my favorites from UAF and from Toi Doi, but this album is somehow boring, there isn't that much interesting moments and honestly I expected more from Toi Doi, but however I'm sure that he will deliver more great track in the future and it would be great if he manage to do something like Frogs Party, that track is awesome.

A little bit of offtopic here but few weeks ago friends of mine and I went on camping into nature and we settled on some nice meadow with small river nearby, offcourse we brought some music and speakers and right after the intro of Frogs Party tune started, a bunch of frogs started to croak :o Before that track it was quite in our surrounding and we didn't notice any croaks, but suddenly baaam, true Frogs Party.

:lol::D

I really enjoyed Mother Pitch EP and it's one of my favorites from UAF and from Toi Doi, but this album is somehow boring, there isn't that much interesting moments and honestly I expected more from Toi Doi, but however I'm sure that he will deliver more great track in the future and it would be great if he manage to do something like Frogs Party, that track is awesome.

A little bit of offtopic here but few weeks ago friends of mine and I went on camping into nature and we settled on some nice meadow with small river nearby, offcourse we brought some music and speakers and right after the intro of Frogs Party tune started, a bunch of frogs started to croak :o Before that track it was quite in our surrounding and we didn't notice any croaks, but suddenly baaam, true Frogs Party.

:lol::D

:lol:

i have had the same experience with birds from some old techno trak from the 90's then they all join in

I kinda agree with the general consensus here. The album is not bad, but lacks that something to make it essential. There are a couple stronger tracks on the album but little bit of filler too. To put it short - I'd advise a good listen before buying.

I as well found the album average. Some tracks are really good, i.e. #1(!), 2, 4, 5, 6(!!) and 7, but #3 and 8 in particular were grating on my nerves, as they - just like the title of the album suggests - are trying to search for the (correct musical) key, throwing in lots of random sequences and melodies not playing nicely with each other. In terms of melodic work this is a far cry from intricate patchworks of say Crossing Mind or head-fuckery of Portamento - this is much closer to Boris Blenn's Jupiter 8000 releases with simple though often powerful melodies, with some (good!) guitar thrown in once in a while. There's also enough variety to be able to tell the tracks apart, which is not always the case with some new school stuff. It is also quite apparent that this guy has a lot of experience because the arrangement and transitions (except for #3 and 8) are really interesting and intricate. Still, this is nothing groundbreaking.

The artwork is a bit stereotypical and tacky, but far from those featured in 'worst covers' thread. Mastering is a mixed bag, with some of the new (I think) tracks sounding great, while the old ones lose some of their clarity (e.g. hi-hats) due to over-saturated bass. Re: the bass - it is indeed full-on in most cases, but it doesn't bother me somehow; probably this type of goa-trance is indeed more similar to full-on than to the "real" old-school.

3/5 - for the fans of label / artist.

• 4 weeks later...