Contest — Reproducing known melodies from scratch

Do you like creating sounds from scratch? What about trying to reproduce some famous sounds and melodies from goa trance tunes for fun? :wub:

You can use any instrument with the settings you want, but you need to tell in details how you managed to reproduce the same sound as the one used in the tune. This is the fun part :)

Here's my first challenge for you: the main synth lead used by Miranda in

. Here's a hint to start: If you have a Roland SH-101, you can use a pulse-width modulation square wave :rolleyes:

Once you find, you can upload a melody sample for us to listen to (and to criticize) :P

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not my cup of tea :D tried it but i dont like the result too much. i like the idea of this thread pretty much tough. maybe someone else manages to recreate it

i'm on the same boat. hard to wrap my head around this one

@Monahium: Square wave + overdrive + phaser?

Something like that. There are several synth parts going on here. There is the square wave bass and the screeching sound(don't know how else to describe it) which is tricky

Hallucinogen : http://soundcloud.com/sharegoa/hallulike

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not exaclty the same but prety close too I think...

2 sounds : some kind of a white noise and a 303. Note that the 303 is send to the white noise track on the mixer, so both sounds are using the same trigger and flanger.

The white noise is made from the wind fx in albinos, but it can be made from any other plugin that generate this wave. The 303 is made with NWbassline and there is an automation on the cutoff : you don't want to push the knob too much, so set the min and max to approximatly 30% and 75%. (Hallucinogenl's lead seems to have a lower max, or maybe the resonance of the filter is a bit less high)

If somebody can do something similar to this I would be more happy to hear, I hope it isnt hard that much

THIS PART: 06:40 - 07:40

There is similar melody afterwards but I'm curious about this part :)))

@Goa Travellers: Agree ! this is just a regular 303, I had some good results with alien303. But I think that there is a second particular sound that is not the lead in fact, but a vanguard gate called "1 finger bassline 2" (god I hate this vst..)

http://soundcloud.com/sharegoa/imperial-proj

Doesn't really sounds the same, but here's the score :

Posted Image

@Monahium: If you're searching for a VSTi, I suggest Audiorealism ABL2, as suggested by PharaOm. If you're searching for a second-hand synth, beside a x0xb0x or a x0xi0, I suggest maybe a Dœpfer MS-404, or a TeeBee Syntecno. More here (in the "You Might Also Like" section) and here.

@PharaOm: Nice creation! What is NWbassline? (I didn't find it on the Internet). Looks like a TB emulator :wub:

We're having a lot of fun here! And we're practicing and sharpening our ears :)