• Denmark [31,205]
  • France [30,508]
  • Czech Republic [29,602]
  • Ireland [28,576]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna guess how groups will look alike (feel free to post your own, we will see who's gonna be most precise in guessing)

GROUP A: Netherlands, England, Greece, Czech Republic

GROUP B: Poland, Italy, Portugal, Denmark

GROUP C: Spain, Russia, Croatia, France

GROUP D: Ukraine, Germany, Sweden, Ireland

Winner: Germany

2nd place: Spain

3rd place: Croatia :P

Dont know about Germany beating Spain, in the world cup they seemed so scared on the field, even thought they had won Argentina for such a big diference a few days before. Still, I dont see germans happy about being kick out for 3rd time in a row by Spain. For sure best game in the Eurocup. If it ever happens....

• 3 weeks later...

Arsenal are looking a lot better now and I think could have a really good chance; if only someone else can knock out Barcelona & Man United for them.

Well Basel put Man United last night :)

A bad night for Manchester all round as City tumbled out of the CL too.

Ouch. That's gotta hurt mr. Ferguson...

Biggest surprises of the group stage? APOEL and Basel.

Although the entire group G is upside down... Last year's quarter finalists, Shakhtar are last, and the not so long ago very mighty Porto finished behind St. Petersburg's Zenit. Initially I found that very unlikely to happen.

Dinamo Zagreb endured last night, what is its worst humiliation on a home field ever. I do not, in all my years, recall any team ever scoring 7 goals on the Maksimir stadium. Until last night, that is.

Lyon was in desperate need of at least a four goal advantage AND a high victory from Real Madrid over Ajax, which was very unlikely to happen since Real has reserved its place among the top 16 ages ago.

However, they showed true heart last night, and real sportsmanship, and smacked us so hard it knocked our clothes backwards, like those old kid rappers, Kris Kross. Bravo to Lyon, hats off - really!

They ended the group phase with a +2 goal difference, and deservably overlapped Ajax.

Not only that, but Dinamo conceded 22 goals in the group stage alone, a competition record no one would want to remember or reminisce about.

I was also very surprised with the group A outcome. Bayern, who haven't convinced me with a single extraordinary match, except maybe with their home performance against Man. City are first, while Mancini's much hyped team are left with a bitter after taste, due to Napoli's surprise blitzkreig against Villareal last night. Napoli is a surprise as well, this is their record in the competition, and Cavani is a striker to keep an eye on!

For me, at this point, it's either going to be Real Madrid, AC Milan or you-know-who.

Arsenal has a great team, wonderful team work and strategy, but whenever I see you-know-what-team do their thing on the field, I give everyone else slim chances...

Yes, yesterday was a crazy CL round. I feel good that Man Utd is out, they are so smug :P

Lyon pulling that off and eliminate Ajax gotta hurt for the dutch. But that's the beauty of football. Until it happens to "your" team ;)

It's official now! EURO 2012 groups:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2012/draws/index.html

Anyone want to take a wild guess as to who qualifies to the next round. I think Croatia could have had an easier draw - a group with actual world and euro champs + Italy which is never to be underestimated... Sigh.

Toughest group imho is by far Group B - all killers no fillers. Four solid teams!

What does the rest of you think?

Well, the Euros' group stage isn't like the world cup groups stage. There pretty much are no fillers here except for maybe the hosts.

All groups look difficult with B & C being arguably harder than A & D but I wouldn't bet any large sum of money on the outcome of any of these groups: the beauty of the Euros IMO :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

One more day till Euro 2012, here is my prediction of first group round, with results

Poland - Greece 0-1

Russia - Czech Republic 2-1

Netherlands - Denmark 3-1

Germany - Portugal 1-1

Spain - Italy 2-1

Republic of Ireland - Croatia 0-2

France - England 0-0

Ukraine - Sweden 0-2

I was lucky enough to be back in England for the culmination of the premier league season and the champion's league final. It's weird that England can have one of the best leagues in the world full of English players yet have utter garbage for a national team. We'll be lucky to get out of the group stage at Euro 2012 but Chelsea won the CL by luck and Greece won Euro 2004 so maybe luck will be on our side. At least the Liverpool players will know what it's like to finish fourth in a league ;)

SO, we had quite the eventful first round of matches! Russia really kicked Czech Republic's ass, although 4-1 was a bit heavy.. Czech Republic deserved at least 2 goals imo... Fantastic goal by Pavlyuchenko though, eat your heart out Kerzhakov! :D And in greece-poland it was cards galore!

Really curious to see Netherlands and Germany play though, definitely my two favourite teams of this European Championship.

Netherlands - Denmark 3-1

That is the same bet I have at my work-place (we have a little gambling lounge at my office), but I still hope Denmark pulls a Euro '92 on the Dutch (we won against them in the semifinal)

Really curious to see Netherlands and Germany play though, definitely my two favourite teams of this European Championship.

And both in group B... fuck the seeding was awful this year, and Denmark's luck was non existing, could hardly imagine a harder group!?

Russia and Denmark - the most positive suprises so far.

Germany doesn't look that superior at least against Portugal, and it was kind a boring game until last 25 minutes. Today two great matches, Italy vs. Spain and my Croatia vs Republic of Ireland. It should be around 7 000 Croats at staduim so we expect strong support!