Artist or Label general info/bio/review section for Psynews

JonCrow

Just a query to see if it's ever been considerd to add a section to the forum where info, reviews and discussion of the artists, their side-projects or collaborative projects could be posted.

Their background, influences, musical style/s, interviews, progression of their discography and activities etc.

We don't need hero-worship but I don't see anything wrong with some background info, review and discussion/appreciation.

What about the same thing for Labels? Reviews, opinions and info regarding a Label's aims, themes, styles, progression and quality of their discography as a whole.

One thread per Artist/Label.

General Artist Review Info and Discussion

Crop Circles

Cosmosis

Filteria

Prana

etc

General Label Review Info and Discussion

Suntrip

Matsuri

Dragonfly

Cronomi

etc

(I could have posted this in the Psynews.Org section of the forum in Site Requests but it doesn't get as much traffic)

Yay, nay, opinions?

What would differentiate your idea from what we currently have? The "General Psytrance" forum is pretty much the place to discuss all artists, labels, styles, and of course we have the Reviews section.

My idea is that it could be a bit more focused, functional and able to be referenced like the album reviews section.

In the 300 or so pages of "General Psytrance" I bet there's heaps of info and opinions you could find on a specific artist or label if you the used search function and trawled.

But also in "General Psytrance", just on this first page of over 300 pages there are also heaps of threads like:

Why so few female artists?

What music listening to right now?

What music you get today?

Wirikuta Scam

My top 100 tracks

Least Most expensive Vinyl, Bought, Sold

Concept albums

Re-evaluation of older psy releases

Croatian Goa Trance Artists

Anamorphic Auras(Bi-Weekly Psy review show)

How would you call this style?

This weeks good covers

What's up with Ektoplazm

Who's to blame for Vocals in YB Vaccine and Ott Mir?

That rare 2001 sound

Organic Instruments

What exactly is twilight?

etc

etc

If there was a dedicated section and thread that people could use, it might allow an outlet for interesting or relevant info to be condensed and therefore be potentially more functional, interesting and accessible.

Take for instance Suntrip Records Label section on Discogs:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suntrip Records

Profile: Belgian Goatrance label, set up in 2004 by Fabien (Mars (6)), one of the founders of the Psynews.org website, and Joske (Anoebis), a famous Belgian DJ and party-organiser.

Suntrip Records mainly concentrates on classic goatrance made with modern production. Also they re-released a classic from the golden era (Dimension 5) and they did an ambient cd as well. (Opus Iridium)

Their main goa-trance artists are: Ra, Filteria, Goasia, Ka-Sol, Khetzal, Afgin and Merr0w

But they also worked with many other famous groups for their compilations such as: Chi-a.d., Talpa, California Sunshine, Solar Fields, Radical Distortion, Asura, Virtuart, Aes Dana,...

▲ less

Contact Info:Suntrip Records

Jules de Saint Genoisstraat 151

9050 Gentbrugge

Belgium

Phone numbers:

+32 486633552 (Jos mobile, spoken: NL, DE, EN)

+32 495162012 (Mars mobile, spoken: FR, EN, ES)

+32 22567848 (Brussels HQ phone, evenings & weekends)

Email: info@suntriprecords.com

Sites:suntriprecords.com, Facebook

Review by tantric_obstacles Jul 26, 2009Suntrip records is a perfectly apt name for this label, as their output can be directly compared to that of TIP records in the mid-nineties; they release melodic morning goa trance with a nod to some of the 'big' names of the peak of the genre, just before it metamorphosed into psychedelic trance: Etnica/Pleiadians, Astral Projection, the Infinity Project, Hallucinogen etc. So far there hasn't been even a remotely dark release - it's all positive energy and beams of cosmic ethereal light. Let's hope they keep it like this for many years to come, as no one else releases this style anymore.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What other info and opinions could go here? How do you feel about Suntrip? How are their albums? Is their output and vision still as strong 7 years after? How does it compare to old-school Goa? Which of their albums are the best? Where have they gone wrong in your opinion? Links to album reviews here on Psynews?

Another example from discogs:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man With No Name

Profile:Initially starting out as a British techno producer, Martin Freeland became hugely influenced by the early nineties Goa trance scene and suitably moved on to producing hard, melodic psytrance. He scored a top 75 hit with 'Floor-Essence' before releasing the influential and highly sought-after 'Moment Of Truth' album, as well as remixing work for many artists, such as Virus, Perfecto Allstarz, BT and Dreadzone.

Review by Josephschembri Jun 16, 2005 (edited over 6 years ago)M.W.N.N. was one of the defining artists in the goa scene since its beginning. He started producing techno in 1990 but as trance came along he switched to this style. From his very first (trance) production he soon became popular for his melodic style of trance, with his immediately recognisable sound suiting both the hardcore psi heads and both the more laid back general trance listener. Tracks like Teleport, Sly-ed, Evolution & Lunar Cycle are prime examples of his unique sound, and his first full length album "Moment of Truth" in 1996 is still one of the most sought after trance albums. His second album "Earth Moving The Sun" is perhaps not as good as the previous, but i.m.o. is still that kind of sound you wish all melodic trance was like that.

He also did tons of remix work; perhaps the most famous being the remix of Moonraker originally from Disco Volante.

Unfortunately in the late 90's he seemed to have gone a bit behind the scene. More recent productions like the 2000 remix of the single Teleport has been criticised for being a bit cheesy and sounding commercial. However M.W.N.N will always remain a legend for those old enough to remember him since the early days of goa.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Idea sounds great, practicly we could have a database and discussion threads here on Psynews, created by community and members of this board. Plus, moderator(s) should create a sticky topic with list of all topics in sub-forum for artists or labels. Let's assume that 5 people will open articles about label/artist at least 2-3 per week. Sounds good to me, and I'm gonna participate if admins and moderators decide to open this kind of sub-forums which will be a lot expanded and informative.

+1 JonCrows suggestion!

Hi guys,

I find it is a really good idea as the psy scene does not have such a type of thing. There is Discogs and there is the Psychedelic Mind Expander and there are the forums, but these are not the same as the idea presented here.

At the moment we are discussing this internally. Stay tuned for more info.

Such a section existed until 24/11/2005 here, but it was removed because it wasn't taken care of.

Now discogs contains all you'll ever want to know.

But for gossips, sure Psynews could be a good host :)))

Such a section existed until 24/11/2005 here, but it was removed because it wasn't taken care of.

Now discogs contains all you'll ever want to know.

But for gossips, sure Psynews could be a good host :)))

Discogs doesn't really cover the history in wiki form at all. There is a lot of information but it's spread out like mad.

• 2 weeks later...

The idea is really cool indeed... There was something like this a long time ago as Fabien said... But it takes a lot of work to manage it, and a lot of contribution, and is mostly the biggest problem...

But the idea is cool as anyone can write their opinions and extra info... Like that it is an active thread, and not like Wikipedia etc static... :) So go for it and see what it gives :)

It's a very good idea, but only if people are willing to contribute. First thing one could do would be to browse Psynews.org and gather all the info (from old threads) you can find about a certain artist/label and collect it in one thread/section. I would be willing to do that. But probably only for a short while unless there's some kind of response.

I think Psynews.org's biggest problem right now is that many of the veterans who have loads of knowledge don't post here anymore. It's mostly "new" people like me who is reading old stuff, and I honestly don't know shit about the "old days". I therefore don't have much trivia to contribute. So how do we get these people interested? That's the question.