Enter the void

Darkarbiter

I watched this one a couple of days ago, what an insane movie. Very different style to anything else I've ever seen too. Highly recommend to the folks here and I'm highly surprised you guys haven't mentioned it yet! I'm also scared by how much like the main character is like me and how much like the movies patterns are like my thought patterns sometimes. I'd suggest just watching it without watching the trailer, suffice to say it's trippy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI89ovR36r0 here it is anyway.

It also has wicked fractals in some parts.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Basically darkpsy in movie form. ;) I have a love-hate relationship with Enter The Void... visually, it was amazing, but I found the story dull and overly dark/gritty. I wanted it to be a little more nuanced in its depiction of underground/drug culture, exploring some of the deeper aspects of the scene rather than trying to shock the audience with copious amounts of sex, violence and swearing (which got boring towards the end, especially the sex). But Gaspar Noe is a visceral director, not a cerebral one and he made his kind of movie in the end.

I was also bothered by the homophobic depiction of one character.

Still, I give Noe credit: it's very, very trippy looking and sounding. You could probably get many samples out of it if you're so inclined.

I'm a bit lost as to what the homophobic scene or character was. Could you briefly explain it to me? I guess there's no "spoiler alert" code here so maybe PM it to me, I tried reading a couple of plot descriptions of the film again and that didn't help me identify it either.

Visually is a masterpiece, but it's way too long for its story. The last hour is really boring and unnecessary and the graphic sex completely out of place for a movie like this.

I'm a bit lost as to what the homophobic scene or character was. Could you briefly explain it to me? I guess there's no "spoiler alert" code here so maybe PM it to me, I tried reading a couple of plot descriptions of the film again and that didn't help me identify it either.

The one gay character is shown as basically a rapist, who keeps teenage/young adult males drugged for the purpose of taking advantage of them. He's described as a 'sick fuck' for 'liking boys'. I don't know if it was meant to be homophobic or not, but that part didn't sit right with me.

The one gay character is shown as basically a rapist, who keeps teenage/young adult males drugged for the purpose of taking advantage of them. He's described as a 'sick fuck' for 'liking boys'. I don't know if it was meant to be homophobic or not, but that part didn't sit right with me.

I think the director is just obsessed with anal sex. Just because gays in his movies tend to be that way doesn't necassarily imply that he's homophobic. From interviews with him that I've seen he doesn't seem like the kind at all. Maybe the director had a negative experience of it as a child. I mean there's homophobes in his movies and crazy homosexuals but that doesn't necassarily imply a homophobic theme.

I watched this last night.

It was pretty good but it was not worth its length. By the end it was not very engaging anymore and as I was watching it after a bastardly long week at work I fell asleep in the last 20 minutes :unsure: