Are you interested in the good old Psynews contests ?

mars

37 members have voted

1. 1. Make Psynews contest winners available?

• Yes
    • No

While fetching my good old backups I found the 2xCD version of the first Psynews contest winners. The 1st cd of which became Psychedelic Sparks if you remember.

I also found the 2nd contest winning tracks.

They were supposed to be released as "Another Demention" on the Out of Orion label, but never got released, unforunately.

As a reminder, here are the tracklists:

Psychedelic Sparks (Psynews Contest 1 winners)

CD1

01 Neurotoxin - For Red

02 Psychopat - Spiral Landing

03 De-Fect - Bouncing Shrooms And Giggleing Gnomes

04 Andromeda - Amiga

05 Synsun - TNC 2001

06 Asura - System Babel (Code Eternity Rmx)

07 Artha - Controlled

08 Epsilon - Cosmic Vortex (Creepy Mix)

CD2

01 Promon - Throbbing Hobbits

02 The Bastard - Crispy Crunchy Buffet Beast

03 De-Fect - Germs Germs Psychedelic Germs

04 Amygdala - Synaptic Misfire

05 Synsun - Replycant

06 Vax - Protoplasma

07 AgalactiA - Awkward Lightrate

08 Torakka - Greasy Fingers

09 Solstice - Ricochet

Another Demention (Psynews Contest 2 winners)

CD1

01 Kinich Ahau - The 3rd Spiral

02 Agalactia And 5Meo-Geo - Ficus

03 Sienis - Rubbabong

04 Moai - Chimera

05 Sneila - Flying Objects Always Reach the Ground

06 Artha - Mahabharta

07 Ethereal Phaze - Liquid Blue Vision

08 Prosect - Invasion

CD2

01 Spiralgeist - Mean And Mean

02 Masada - Bhongo bhonged

03 Amygdala - Proprioception Malfunction

04 Spiralix - Spirit Guide

05 Alien Noise - 604 Maniacs

06 Chiron - Ice Age

07 Ethereal - Fireflies

08 Khetzal - Narayana

09 Vax - Tataria

I realized that the tracks were nowhere to be downloaded, especially as, back in the days, we didn't have bandwidth and space to store them.

Ok all of this is from 2001-2002, but would you like me to make them available nonetheless? Please use the poll above.

If you're an artist listed above and disapprove of the whole thing here, please contact me asap.

Quie a good idea, but I don't like to mix genres (Suntrip you know) because it generates some weird interpretations sometimes.

So a totally separate team could, indeed organize that. I would just provide with the infrastructure.

That's my idea from the beginning. Psynews and Suntrip are 2 different entities and it was repeated enough.

But I still fear someone might argue that Suntrip is making Psynews visitors select compilations for free or some similar bullshit.

Other possibility: being accused of influencing the votes in case a Suntrip artist gets amongst the winners of that contest.

You know, contests are a hot topic. We've seen that recently. And since I still read some borderline stuff about Suntrip (artists) here and there, I wouldn't want anyone to ruin a nice initiative through a pointless argument:) See what I mean? So, if a Psynews contest had to be organized, it would be in a totally independant manner.

But we're not there yet.

I'll try but that won't be easy. Someone told me Epsilon doesn't have the track in wav anymore for instance. I'll ask him anyway. And I'm sure there are other cases like that.

Other possibility: being accused of influencing the votes in case a Suntrip artist gets amongst the winners of that contest.

That you do not have to fear. They will be no. 1 no matter what. I often these days wonder why this forum is not renamed to suntripnews.org. Not because you favor your releases (even though you do have a own platform to use in whatever way you want to). But because the majority here are die hard suntrip fans (not many users visit here anymore beside those die hard fans). Not a critique just an observation.

I agree. Not that it is anything wrong with being a die hard Suntrip fan. But those best of 2010 is pretty much useless to me. But what are you gonna do. It started out as a goa forum so... It's just sad that if a new contest is going to take place the winners will all be new school goa artist.

That you do not have to fear. They will be no. 1 no matter what. I often these days wonder why this forum is not renamed to suntripnews.org. Not because you favor your releases (even though you do have a own platform to use in whatever way you want to). But because the majority here are die hard suntrip fans (not many users visit here anymore beside those die hard fans). Not a critique just an observation.

yes but on the other hand this is what always separated psynews (or should I say goatrance.free.fr? ;) ) from other psytrance sites: a common passion for oldschool, and that has been going on for long before Suntrip was made (actually, Suntrip was made BECAUSE of all the oldschool fans who complained on this forum about the new direction that psytrance took ;) ). So, having all those die-hard suntrippers hanging around is kindof normal IMO, it's kindof like having it all come around a full circle.

EXACTLY what I described.

So, what should we do?

- No contest, removing the chances for some artists to get some recognition?

- Organize a contest, but ban Suntrip artists from it?

- Just don't give a damn about your biaised negativism?

You don't have to be here you know Kristian. I respect you as an artist, but when it comes to initiatives and motivating people I cannot say you're the biggest support. Have you just read the title of this thread? Is it about Suntrip? No. It's about music, not interests or bullshit, just good music that was made 4 years even before Suntrip existed.

My point, is that Psynews was created by oldschool fans, there's a big base of oldschool fans that came and stayed, and incidentally some of these oldschool fans created Suntrip, an oldschool label. Not the other way around. Right? And still it comes as a surprise that Suntrip cds are praised by Psynews visitors. Wow Sherlock, WOW.

Throwing false assertions and catchy formulas like "suntripnews.org" is something easy for someone hidden behind his keyboard spending his days criticizing. But enough with that crap. When I think about how we kept things separated day after day, whereas we could have indeed used Psynews to spam, really, it hurts reading your fucking post. This is so biaised, so mean. An observation my ass.

Now I am publicly challenging you to find an evidence that Suntrip used Psynews to promote its cds more than any other label. And you better find cause I could be tempted to kick your ass from this place. Enough is enough.

How about a differing opinion?

I think Mars and the team should be using Psynews to promote and support Suntrip. That initiative grew out of this forum after all. These convoluted attempts to maintain some separation between the two entities obviously doesn't work so well--and I'm not sure what purpose it really serves. There will always be criticism in any online community no matter what you do. As you can see, it doesn't matter how neutral the administration is--the connection will always be made anyhow, so why not embrace it? Engage the existing fan base and don't worry about the complainers.

I think a new contest would be a great idea. It helped to catalyze the community in the first place, after all. I am not so interested in the old music from those CDs... but just look at those track listings! Many of those acts started out here--and many have gone on to do some pretty cool stuff, or at least develop a small following. It could happen again!

EXACTLY what I described.

So, what should we do?

- No contest, removing the chances for some artists to get some recognition?

- Organize a contest, but ban Suntrip artists from it?

- Just don't give a damn about your biaised negativism?

You don't have to be here you know Kristian. I respect you as an artist, but when it comes to initiatives and motivating people I cannot say you're the biggest support. Have you just read the title of this thread? Is it about Suntrip? No. It's about music, not interests or bullshit, just good music that was made 4 years even before Suntrip existed.

My point, is that Psynews was created by oldschool fans, there's a big base of oldschool fans that came and stayed, and incidentally some of these oldschool fans created Suntrip, an oldschool label. Not the other way around. Right? And still it comes as a surprise that Suntrip cds are praised by Psynews visitors. Wow Sherlock, WOW.

Throwing false assertions and catchy formulas like "suntripnews.org" is something easy for someone hidden behind his keyboard spending his days criticizing. But enough with that crap. When I think about how we kept things separated day after day, whereas we could have indeed used Psynews to spam, really, it hurts reading your fucking post. This is so biaised, so mean. An observation my ass.

Now I am publicly challenging you to find an evidence that Suntrip used Psynews to promote its cds more than any other label. And you better find cause I could be tempted to kick your ass from this place. Enough is enough.

Damn you guys take things way too serious. I never said you used the forum for your own benefit. On the contrary!! Read my text again before you start another swearing stream and accuse me of things I never said!!! Indeed it's your forum so if you want to kick my ass you are welcome (by the way what a mature way of communicating mars). But do lighten up a little thanks. My point was and is that the forum used to be way more broadminded music-wise compared today where almost every topic is about Simon, Suntrip and how amazing the new AP album will be even though nobody have ever heard the music etc. And yes that's just an observation like it or not. This is obviously because so many members left the place leaving this forum with almost only die hard old-school/new-school fans. That was my point. Nothing else.

(actually, Suntrip was made BECAUSE of all the oldschool fans who complained on this forum about the new direction that psytrance took ;) ).

really this is the reason??

so Suntrip resurect the old goa scene

if Suntrip is the original direction (against new direction of psy trance) of oldschool then i'm Pope of Rome lol

whenever say something about suntrip almost imiedietely ''attacked''

mars i understund that u made a lot of work here and u try to keep straight lines among all labels but u dont have to be agressive

u dont need to kick anyone ass

if u feel that u need it kick mine too

i'm bored that selfish attitude

and dont forget mars that psynews growed with users as elysium as,,, etc (with all the goods and the bads)

How about a differing opinion?

I think Mars and the team should be using Psynews to promote and support Suntrip. That initiative grew out of this forum after all. These convoluted attempts to maintain some separation between the two entities obviously doesn't work so well--and I'm not sure what purpose it really serves. There will always be criticism in any online community no matter what you do. As you can see, it doesn't matter how neutral the administration is--the connection will always be made anyhow, so why not embrace it? Engage the existing fan base and don't worry about the complainers.

Right.

I think a new contest would be a great idea. It helped to catalyze the community in the first place, after all. I am not so interested in the old music from those CDs... but just look at those track listings! Many of those acts started out here--and many have gone on to do some pretty cool stuff, or at least develop a small following. It could happen again!

Yes, but that wouldn't be followed up by me (or Anoebis). Not masochist and no time. I think we should recruit.

really this is the reason??

so Suntrip resurect the old goa scene

if Suntrip is the original direction (against new direction of psy trance) of oldschool then i'm Pope of Rome lol

well... pretty much so, yes. Once upon a time there was a dude called Anoebis who would throw parties in Belgium playing mostly oldschool goa and holding strong against the minimal virus that was spreading throughout the scene. He would go to great lenghts to keep playing oldschool since almost no big lables were releasing it anymore, so he'd find hidden underground unreleased material from the good ol days. He was friends with a certain Mars, owner of goatrance.free.fr MANY many people were praising oldschool and saying how superior it was to the new trend on this forum so one day Mars and Anoebis said "well, since big lables don't release oldschool anymore, why now make a label by ourselves". And the rest is history ;)

Almost.

I knew Anoebis thanks to goatrance.free.fr BUT I was just a reviewer and a technical guy there.

The owner, Children, was more a geek than a public guy, so that's right Anoebis and I were more "visible". When the site moved to a server at my place, many believed I was behind what was called Psynews then, but it wasn't true. I was just helping a lot.

In the summer of 2002, Anoebis and I threw our first olschool party togetheru nder the Psynews name, then we went to Samothraki where we heard some very good music (and met physically Filteria who wasn't making music then), and I rememeber we thought there could be a place for an oldschool label in the scene, but it was just a vaaaaague idea.

I inherited from Psynews in september 2003, and we got the very first complete Filteria track more or less at that time. Eventually, we decided to create a label by December 2003 or January 2004.

Heh pretty cool to see how long some have been around, Artha and Alien Noise(Artifact 303). No wonder they know their stuff :) And about the dynamics between the people around here, I don´t think there is a solution to that. They are all a manifestation of the same phenomenon.

The idea of a new contest is indeed thrilling i think. Some new producers can come out of the closet and see one of their tracks somehow "released" even if just digitally speaking. It's true there are a lot of talented guys that are now pro and released albums but i believe there are a lot of amateurs that will soon reach the level of maturity to achieve something concrete.

If anything i would not encourage pro artists to participate only because they have already a career and they may put a shadow over upcoming new talents.

For instance, suppose artha or e-mantra or any super talented guy sends in a track, its obvious they would be the ones picked into a contest because they do this since many years. But then comes a new guy, out of nowhere, that maybe has really cool ideas but less technical skills and his track would maybe not see the light of the day.. i would favor these kind of artists to participate to this contest.

That's just a personal opinion and of course i am not suggesting to ban anyone from a public contest, i just see to listen wisely to the less technical skilled but that maybe have some new stories to tell.

About the fights i have read here, come on people, this should be a forum to spend quality time and not to fight over which label is favorite or better promoted or whatever. I think the promo section allows everyone to promote his upcoming release and that's all. When DAT posts a new cd coming gets 2000 hits, when suntrip does it gets 4000+ but hey, that's normal, they have been out there for the triple the time i have been running mine.. and so goes on. Everyone is free to answer the topic it wants and if there is more suntrip fans than other labels that's just a fact, nobody forces anyone to answer to a particular post or not. I don't really see any manipulations around of any sort.

:)

30 votes for, 0 against. So finally, here are the files, free to download !!!

Psynews Contest 1: Psychedelic Sparks 2CD version

I reworked the artwork on this one!

Psynews Contest 2: Another Demention 2CD

only with the preview artwork we got at the time.

These are the MP3s as they were uploaded at the time. I don't have flac/wavs, but I'm planning on asking to each artist.

• 2 years later...