I miss the cd hunting

Ormion

This is kind off topic since it's not about psytrance specifically but anyway.

What I miss the most today is the cd hunting. And I don't mean the online one.

I miss the real cd hunting. Taking the bus and go to the other side of the city to local cd stores and try your luck in order to find some psy cd.

That was the days! :D

I remember going to every cd stores I could and searching for goa/psy cds. Some of the rarest cds I bought them that way.

I will never forget the escitement of going in a really small corner store and find a dusty copy of Doof-Let's Turn on!

And so many others.

Good, old romantic days. :(

I miss the real cd hunting. Taking the bus and go to the other side of the city to local cd stores and try your luck in order to find some psy cd.

I remember going to every cd stores I could and searching for goa/psy cds. Some of the rarest cds I bought them that way.

I will never forget the escitement of going in a really small corner store and find a dusty copy of Doof-Let's Turn on!

And so many others.

haha... +1!

I remember I found so many (today rare) cds in non-goa shops :) Those were the days... :)

I still sniff around in record shops for soul & funk, sadly enough you can't do that any more for goa trance... The only cool thing I ever found was Chi-A.D.'s Infinitism in a record shop in Camden Town, it was laying around some metal CD's - really have no idea why. :D

Lots of the small shops are closing and that's a pitty. It's been a long time since I've encountered goa albums in the regular shops. I buy lots of other music, usually I don't even look for goa albums anymore. I did encounter IM's more recent albums though but that's hardly goa. :(

The only place where you can still do this is London. In camden town and in a few stores around the city it is still the same but well it's not so handy to go London to shop for Goa isn't it ?

It happened to me to go this year for other reasons and i spent a whole day hunting like 10 years ago and well, you can still find something good around.

Although, most of the times were vinyls (but really rare ones).

I scored a few cd but nothing extraordinary, i suppose u really can't find any jewel anymore anywhere now as too much time has passed.

But i feel lucky enough to have so many good memories about this : )

Cool thread. Even though Zagreb was never really a city known for opportunities (at least as far as scoring amazing electronic music CDs goes), or better yet, maybe it was until I looted every single square meter which had a CD in it, what you miss is something that has crossed my mind quite a few times.

To take it even further, I miss those days when I was the first guy to take a vinyl out of the shrink wrap and give it a spin - riht there in the shop. Be the first to drop the new Josh Wink (or whoever is it you fancy) single under the needle. Yum.

And going through sale bins. Touching and moving over two hundred CDs to the side only to *maybe* find something you hold valuable...

But I used to do this as well. Since we never had many (apart the obvious stuff every 12 year old had) gems in stock around these parts, whenever I'd be making an out of the country trip, I'd look up on the internet, and try to find as many CD shops and their respective adresses as I could. Then, I would write them down, and mark with little "x" points on the map where those shops were. To cut the long story short, I visited just about anything with a web site, and an adress clearly visible on my monitor!

Soooooooooooooooo many stories of me roaming through London's subway and god knows where else only to make it to the next record shop. First trip to Paris, not a word of french on my behalf and I'm begging the guy to give me a discount. Berlin, too many CDs and not enough money. I beg the guy to keep the music on the side for me, as I'll be back tomorrow with more money. Don't really recall how, but I actually made it! I still fancy a good afternoon spent in a shop, looking for that "this is it" vinyl, but those moments are few, and far apart from each other, all the more why I worship them even more, and remember them quite well.

Huh, cool stories guys! :D

I will never forget the day (not many years ago) that I went to a huge virgin megastore to look their offer selves.

The store was closing down so they had put almost every cd they had as an offer.

Needless to say they were all in random order. So the only way to find a cd you were actually looking for was to search them one by one.

They were thousands of them. It took me 3 hours.

I finally found Hara Gobi's album. I paied and left smiling.

I'm sure the guys at the store would think that I was some crazy weirdo! :D

I had the time of my life in Munich. A particular shop, CD-BÖRSE, advertises itself as Jazz & Classical store but has a basement full of used Goa/Psy CDs. No wonder or rarity in Germany though.

The second time of my life I had it in Athens.

The third time of my life in London. Loving Drum & Bass, it's obviously a haven. Unfortunately cash wasn't unlimited :( But I found Cosmosis 1st and 2nd album for 9 UK pounds total :D Brand new and filed under "bargains" B) And speaking of Psy/Goa, London shops didn't impress me. Or may be I was in the wrong places? But my purchases where Jungle/D&B mainly.

haha... +1!

I remember I found so many (today rare) cds in non-goa shops :) Those were the days... :)

+100000000000000000000000

i remember when i found ASIA 2001 - Dreamland & Goa Trance - Psychedelic Flashbacks over a 2nd hand CD shop , really happy about it , ive even sold my Sega Saturn (which at the time wasn't worth much already) to buy those 4 disc collection :P call me crazy it's way too late now! :D hehe

Great topic

still i'm hunting old goa cds here in athens

there still a few little stores that i visit reguraly

i have found many good and rare cds from such stores

i enjoy this search a lot,of course there is rare to find something good

the only ''bad'' of this situation is the dusty fingers from vinyl searching

lol

and as i speak with stores owners there is many people here in Athens hunting old goa cds

i missed many good cds for 10 min delay

i remember once i was in a store and a guy who reach before me a desk full of electronica cds found almost 10 old goa cds

u understund my feelings :(

i had much memories

great time

Great topic

still i'm hunting old goa cds here in athens

there still a few little stores that i visit reguraly

i have found many good and rare cds from such stores

i enjoy this search a lot,of course there is rare to find something good

the only ''bad'' of this situation is the dusty fingers from vinyl searching

lol

and as i speak with stores owners there is many people here in Athens hunting old goa cds

i missed many good cds for 10 min delay

i remember once i was in a store and a guy who reach before me a desk full of electronica cds found almost 10 old goa cds

u understund my feelings :(

i had much memories

great time

Where? :o

I thought that only metropolis and 4-5 electronic stores have left to find psy/gos cds.

Goa Trance - Psychedelic Flashbacks

Are you talking about the 4cd boxset?

I have bought that boxset for 10 euros yeeeeaaaars ago(we still had drachmas back then) in a basement store I walked in just for fun! :D

Oh the memories! The memories! :(

Are you talking about the 4cd boxset?

I have bought that boxset for 10 euros yeeeeaaaars ago(we still had drachmas back then) in a basement store I walked in just for fun! :D

Oh the memories! The memories! :(

haha and i gave a lot of cash for that one , that's all i remember. :P

it used to be a LOT OF FUN , specially because i barely knew any goa records and i mostly used to dig all the cds in the shop for some "interesting" covers according to my intuition heh and i ended up grabbing ASIA 2001 , asked the dude to play the CD a bit and i was like "WOW" this is GOA with those melodies i like hehheh , the Goa-Trance Flashbacks it was much easier , thanks to it's cover and the CD title :)

Awesome memories :D

Monastiraki area is the place for hunting no?

Sure, but I thought that most of them if not all have closed.

I haven't been in Monastiraki for 2 years now.

Shit, I'm going next week and get some before ma05683 does! :lol::P

There's a shop in my city that sells mostly vinyl, some CD's, and DJ gear. I stop in every now and then and look through the quite small trance section. One day not long ago (within the last year perhaps) I discovered and bought:

Blue Planet Corporation - Cyclothymic / Crystal

The Infinity Project - Psychotools

Koxbox - Life Is....

Laughing Buddha - Karma / Megamorphosis / Earth Medicine

X Dream - Brain Forest / S.T.O.P.

Adrenalin Drum - The Israel EP

Kundalini - Kundalini EP

Prānā - Kiba E.P.

Slinky Wizard - Money Comes Cheap EP

Darshan - Spectra

TIP Records Yellow Compilation

TIP Records Phosphorescent Compilation

TIP Records First Flight Compilation

Quite a score!

Next time I'll go shop I'm gonna be hunting for goa only here in Antwerp. Maybe I'll be lucky...turn the city upside down...visit every shop...threaten the shopkeeper to give up the goodies :lol:

Have to be couragious even when there is no hope at finding anything...wish me luck, I'm gonna need it :ph34r:

I'll keep you posted.

I miss it too, and I also miss all that money I spent and couldn't afford as an obsessed music hunter. There was a great used CD scene in Chicago in the '90s and early '00s. Found so much great music of all genres in a variety of different stores. I discovered, and quickly fell in love with, IDM and psytrance this way.

Sure, but I thought that most of them if not all have closed.

I haven't been in Monastiraki for 2 years now.

Shit, I'm going next week and get some before ma05683 does! :lol::P

2 years? Aren't you from Athens? I was there is September 2008. Probably I rubbed shoulders with ma05683 :)

Same here guys. A few years back the best CD shop in the canton of Zurich closed its doors. When they sold out their stuff, 3 euros per CD, I scored quite a load of Goa Trance stuff, including rare ones. Nowadays I only know one decent music shop in Zurich...with my taste being rather broad, I'll always find something special whenever I'm going there, but of course it's the same like everywhere: No Psytrance at all apart from the lousy stuff that you can even get at big record chains. They do have quite a tasty offer of IDM though, and lots of obscure rock music vinyls that you can only get on CD at other places.

The best thing, however, is finding something decent at flee markets. In spring and summer I usually stroll around them every Saturday hunting for obscure objects and CDs as well. At one particular flee market, I once found 4 Matsuri releases in one day after scrolling through all the CD cases they had there (took me like an hour). And that's quite awesome. Finding great music at flee markets ranges among my personal Top10 of Awesome Things. There's a lot of good luck involved though, and things like that usually happen only once a lifetime...

I remembered some examples and releases...

There is this one CD shop without any advertisement in Paris, and it's located inside an appartment building, ground floor if I remember correctly. It sells mainly industrial/noise/abstract/drone/modern classical releases, and the CD which was bumping when I walked in was unbearable. I asked myself how can anybody work there. Anyways, it was in there that I stumbled upon a new and unsealed copy of the first installment of Jochem Paap's "Vrs-Mbnt-Pcs" :)

Same city, another place I found the original 12" pressing of the classic Derrick May remixes of Sueno Latino. Then I remember walking into this store, a street away from where the old Cyber Productions were located, which mainly had the stuff popular at the moment (Faki, Dubfire, Alex Under, MyMy, Umek and what not), but inside the bargain bin I scored two copies of Josh Wink's "Don't Laugh" (the '95 pressing with both the live raw mix & the sample on its own) + a barely used original red pressing of Solar Quest's "Acid Air Raid" for a total of 15 euro!

Then, in Berlin, I remember finding a new and sealed copy of the selected Richie Hawtin tunes in the 1990-2000 era; the australian release, published on Hardware. It cost like 8.50 euro... I've never seen a copy since, and the average price for that one on discogs is about three times as much. It was more than worth it, if only for the fact that it's the only CD where you can find Minus Orange in its full unmixed glory - eight minutes of five star techno.

Fetching a copy of what is quite probably amongst my top three records of all times: "Regis" by Regis, a CD only collection of his finest EPs ever, for 6 quid in London. Speaking of which, I also scored a new and unsealed copy of "V/A Underground Control One - Acid City", a fairly average release overall, but with full and unmixed versions of Chris Liberator's and Lawrie Immersion's tracks, and for 4 pounds!!! It's a one-off release on Uppercust Records, which never resurfaced again. And I have never seen another copy for sale - anywhere, and the Liberator track to this day remains one of my all time favorite, most demented London style acid techno ch00nz...

Oh yeah, and the Crop Circles vinyls... But that story'll have to hold...

And so many others.

couldn't agree more...

It was so cool. Already the smell in these stores ... a little bit old, basement style, smoke and dust in the air. And always the cick-click sound merging into the sound of the music plaing in the background (which to this day never was a single piece that I actually wanted to listen to) when flipping through the rows of CDs.

And the "flash" when you've found something ... it's a feeling I picture like a fisherman making a giant catch. Awesome, totally awesome!

And the good thing for me is, that these times are not entirely over yet! Some of the shops still exist ... and we still have got that once every several weeks CD fair I used to be at very often until two years ago or so. So it's not all dead yet, even though the chances of finding something really good have decreased by a large amount. Still, one day I might go hunting again when I'm near one of the shops...

my cheers go to all the other CD hunter fellows of the past and present...

Oh yeah, CD hunting... I spent a good 10 years doing that all over Denmark + London. Camden Town was the hotspot for rare stuff, but I've also found extremely rare gems in second hand shops here in Denmark. Sadly those times are long gone.

I know what you mean, I still hunt though any second hand cd places I find, and I have had some glorious finds I found the first Makyo album in Birmingham rag market for a couple of pounds it was in a box full of Rod stewart cd's and that kind of thing, so it was an unlikely place to find Makyo.

with buying new stuff though there is something lost about not being able to go into a shop and actually look at the latest cd's for sale, when a few uk shops have had times when they've had new releases on sale I'm thinking of THe psychedelic dream temple in LOndon or Eastern Block records in MAnchester the music buying expierience was so much better. (incidently the one no longer exists and the other no longer sells psy)