How do you listen to digital music?

ariScotle

What do you like about Djing in Live? I switched to Traktor because I liked the idea of loading a song

rather than having to set all my songs as "clips"

Interested to know how you use Live, cuz I was really diggin the program, but thought it felt short for DJing.

Thoughts?

I use Torq, which is nice, I would recommend that or Traktor if you are starting out. I would go with Traktor if I would be more serious about it.

Oooh, I'm very pedantic in that.

I prefer *.mp3 but only in 320 kbps bitrate. If it is in *.flac or *.wav it must be converted in high level.

Then the downloaded release in digital audio format should has full cover art. If it is not available i do everything to find it. :) Resize and improve the images to be in identical size.

All releases are checked in Discogs and PsyDB.

After that both - audio files and cover art images are unified by CD-Tag program to filename 01 - Artist - Track, 02 - Artist - Track... (for mp3), 00 - Release - 1 (Front), 00 - Release - 2 (Back), 00 - Release - 6 (CD)... (for covers) and Artist or VA - Album - Year (for albums). Then everything is listened to by Winamp (latest version with cover art window) and scrobbled in Last.fm.

Sometimes I ask myslef: Why I do all that things?

Oooh, I'm very pedantic in that.

I prefer *.mp3 but only in 320 kbps bitrate. If it is in *.flac or *.wav it must be converted in high level.

Then the downloaded release in digital audio format should has full cover art. If it is not available i do everything to find it. :) Resize and improve the images to be in identical size.

All releases are checked in Discogs and PsyDB.

After that both - audio files and cover art images are unified by CD-Tag program to filename 01 - Artist - Track, 02 - Artist - Track... (for mp3), 00 - Release - 1 (Front), 00 - Release - 2 (Back), 00 - Release - 6 (CD)... (for covers) and Artist or VA - Album - Year (for albums). Then everything is listened to by Winamp (latest version with cover art window) and scrobbled in Last.fm.

Sometimes I ask myslef: Why I do all that things?

+++++++1

Welcome to my dark and twisted little world as well.

If it doesn't have the right artwork, or file names or correct tagging I just lose my mind.

This is why I do NOT like iTunes - because I really want to have the same convention for file names (01 - Artist - Track) and iTunes will only do (01 Track Name) or 1-01 Track Name for a multi disc album

in which case all the tracks on the 2nd disc would be 2-01 Track Name. I also want to use the convention for the folders for the tracks (Artist - Year - Album - Genre - Style)

So for example a folder would be called

Etnica - 1996 - Alien Protein - Psychedelic - Goa

-or-

VA - 2008 - Sea Of Vapours - Psychedelic - Prog

Is there a great converter out there where you can tell it how to output your folder/file names? Otherwise it looks like its take my 40,000+ songs and change the file names 1 by 1 - :(

Specifically I am looking for something that runs on mac, but if necessary I have the emulator which will run windows on my machine.

I am just sick of the whole iTunes world and want to get my files re-tagged and re-named moved to a new folder and kiss iTunes goodbye forever.

Help?

Oh cool, looks like you got a great taste.

PsyCZ and MYCEL are the leading artist names in the scene...way up there with SImon Posford ;) ;) :):)

Personally I find that gEm and UPE are two of my favorite producers in the scene.

They really get me movin'

;)

Windows user, I switched to AIMP2 a while ago. I think it's an excellent player, supports a lot of codecs out of the box, supports shoutcast and icecast, has a nice library, advanced tag editor, can read cue files of your own mixes, has great skins and so on.

Check it out:

http://www.aimp.ru/index.php

Adding to that, it uses only few system resources and has a small memory print.

Tasty copypasta from the aimp2 site: http://www.aimp.ru/index.php?do=features

Multiformat Playback:

MP1, MP2, MP3, MPC, MP+, AAC, AC3, OGG, FLAC, APE, WavPack, Speex, WAV, CDA, WMA, S3M, XM, MOD, IT, MO3, MTM, UMX

Great functionality and user-friendly interface

Creating bookmarks and playback queue

18-band equalizer and built-in sound effects

Reverb, Flanger, Chorus, Pitch, Tempo, Echo, Speed

32-bit audio processing For the best quality!

Work with multiple playlists: While one plays - you work with another

Support for plugins

You can add new utils or extend already existing

Multi-user mode support: Are several users working with one computer? This is no problem!

Multilanguage interface

Hotkeys

Configure local and global hotkeys as you wish!

Files search

Search files on all opened playlists

Flexible programm options

Internet radio

Listen and capture internet-radio stations to OGG / WAV / MP3 formats

Online Radio Browser

View catalogs of Shoutcast and Icecast services

CoverArt Downloader

Search and download album covers from the Internet

Alarm Clock

Auto shutdown the computer

You can sleep while listening favorite music, just set the timer to shutdown the computer at given time or on playback finish.

Tag Editor

You can easily edit tags of audio files and rename group of files, sort files by template or apply tags to a group of files

Audio Library

Represents the music files organizer, which allows you easily organize your music, set marks for listened Tracks, keeping playback statistics.

Been a long time Amarok user here, always found it just perfect to keep all my stuff organised. By genre, score, you name it, works perfect with my iPod as well, can keep it tidy by feeding those criteria based playlists into it.

Making the transition from Amarok 1.4 to Amarok 2 now, I'm still unsure of Amarok 2 however. Amarok 1.4 was perfect in every way I could think of as a music manager. I might roll back to Amarok 1.4 for the time being.

Yeah, Amarok is great, would never give it up. As far as I've heard 2.0 should be alright (customisable and everything), but I'll keep using 1.4 for some time. I especially like the feature to manually shuffle the songs and to make some tracks go to queue while playing in a playlist.

+++++++1

Welcome to my dark and twisted little world as well.

If it doesn't have the right artwork, or file names or correct tagging I just lose my mind.

This is why I do NOT like iTunes - because I really want to have the same convention for file names (01 - Artist - Track) and iTunes will only do (01 Track Name) or 1-01 Track Name for a multi disc album

in which case all the tracks on the 2nd disc would be 2-01 Track Name. I also want to use the convention for the folders for the tracks (Artist - Year - Album - Genre - Style)

So for example a folder would be called

Etnica - 1996 - Alien Protein - Psychedelic - Goa

-or-

VA - 2008 - Sea Of Vapours - Psychedelic - Prog

Is there a great converter out there where you can tell it how to output your folder/file names? Otherwise it looks like its take my 40,000+ songs and change the file names 1 by 1 - :(

Specifically I am looking for something that runs on mac, but if necessary I have the emulator which will run windows on my machine.

I am just sick of the whole iTunes world and want to get my files re-tagged and re-named moved to a new folder and kiss iTunes goodbye forever.

Help?

mp3tag.exe is all you need, best program ever

Yeah, Amarok is great, would never give it up. As far as I've heard 2.0 should be alright (customisable and everything), but I'll keep using 1.4 for some time. I especially like the feature to manually shuffle the songs and to make some tracks go to queue while playing in a playlist.

It's OK, so far so good, however I haven't been able to figure out how to synchronize playlists with the ipod yet... I'm only migrating because I just upgraded to kubuntu 10.04 and even though I can find amarok 1.4 packages, it won't be there for much longer, and when that happens the migration tool from 1.4 might not be there anymore :/

mp3tag.exe is all you need, best program ever

Thanks for the recommendation.

Does mp3tag actually handle renaming of the files and folders themselves, or just the actual id3 tags?

I'm really looking to edit the tags the way I want them, and then have the program change the filenames so I'm able to see the info at the player level as well as the folder level.

Does this make sense?

For example - if I'm looking in Winamp-Foobar-iTunes etc, the song info in the player will show:

Artist: Mubali

Album: Cats @ Play

Year: 2006

Track #: 1

Track: Balancing Equations

Genre: Psychedelic/Dark

and when I go through the actual file directory I would see:

c: / music / electronic / psychedelic / dark / Mubali - 2006 - Cats @ Play / 01 - Mubali - Balancing Equations.mp3

If anyone knows of a good program that handles mass file/folder renaming based on id3 tags - I'd really appreciate it.

You can see the dilemma of having to go through a 200-500gb library editing all the tags in an editor, and then going through and manually changing all the folder and file names.

Cheers everyone - really great thread

b00m

Am I the only one in here who just keeps all his mp3s in one folder and double clicks on them to listen to them?

OMG, I'm so oldschool :D

I wish I could shake the disease I have for music organization and live that life.

Teach me the way wise one - I need help.

(Sad but true - I have a chronic disorder of overly involved digital music cataloging)

Maybe I will try to just give it a shot and throw them all in a folder and see how it shakes out.

Are you really saying you have no folders at all? Just one big one with all the individual files in it?

Sounds like madness.

Peace

Am I the only one in here who just keeps all his mp3s in one folder and double clicks on them to listen to them?

OMG, I'm so oldschool :D

Geez! That is oldschool! I could never manage to do that with all my albums.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Does mp3tag actually handle renaming of the files and folders themselves, or just the actual id3 tags?

I'm really looking to edit the tags the way I want them, and then have the program change the filenames so I'm able to see the info at the player level as well as the folder level.

Does this make sense?

For example - if I'm looking in Winamp-Foobar-iTunes etc, the song info in the player will show:

Artist: Mubali

Album: Cats @ Play

Year: 2006

Track #: 1

Track: Balancing Equations

Genre: Psychedelic/Dark

and when I go through the actual file directory I would see:

c: / music / electronic / psychedelic / dark / Mubali - 2006 - Cats @ Play / 01 - Mubali - Balancing Equations.mp3

If anyone knows of a good program that handles mass file/folder renaming based on id3 tags - I'd really appreciate it.

You can see the dilemma of having to go through a 200-500gb library editing all the tags in an editor, and then going through and manually changing all the folder and file names.

Cheers everyone - really great thread

b00m

it does mass Id3 -> filename and filename -> ID3, im not sure about folders, never looked for it.

I wish I could shake the disease I have for music organization and live that life.

Teach me the way wise one - I need help.

(Sad but true - I have a chronic disorder of overly involved digital music cataloging)

Maybe I will try to just give it a shot and throw them all in a folder and see how it shakes out.

Are you really saying you have no folders at all? Just one big one with all the individual files in it?

Sounds like madness.

Peace

Same here! :(:):D

ariScotle, try this one

http://sbooth.org/Play/

I'll check that one out, but I just found one called "Tag&Rename" for windows only, but its nice.

Does EVERYTHING I want it to, quick and easy. I have to run my windows emulator to get it to work,

which is a system hog on my computer - but I figure, once I get my library tagged and foldered,

I can just keep up after that with new releases which will be easy to maintain.