DarkPsy Killed the Full-On star?

psytones

So what do you think? The whole Full-On thing seemed to have a decline in popularity, I sense the dark trend sort of killed it off as people who came into this ,,scene" because of party Full-On eventually grew tierd of it them self, and sort of tunred their back to it only to face the new trend of DarkPsy & Progressive.

Of course it's much more complicated then that. Only speculations, want to see where they lead ..

- Afetr Astrix's Between Sheets, no, what was the albums name again? psycore? No. www.discogs.com ah - Artcore. After that album he was like on his peek of popularity, so big I'd imagine his nex album would go off the roof on chart lists. But the years passed and he released it with such low avarness and attention that I never see or hear about him anymore (I read a couple of forums frequently). Its like he dissapeard.full-on seemed almost caputt,

I don't think Israeli Full On is dead, but I agree that it's less popular today. Maybe is Astrix spefically who disappeared not his style.

I think that lately there's balance in the styles that get released. I mean from 2005 to 2008 80% of the released psy belonged either to Full On, Prog or darkpsy.

I think the last year there's more diversity in the releases. Clubby Full On and clubby progressive still are the majority, but I see more Goa, Forest, Suomi or plain Psytrance get released.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

I hope I'm not. We need diversity!

well you can imagine that boom that happen with loads of people getting in to the music we call psytrance, these people that settled in (some dropped out) found more of their own ground to stand on when thinking taste. maybe thats why the diversity is much clearer today, before it was much more mixed together i think. That was sort of the beauty of this music, it couldnt be labelled down, it was influenced by all music. yes, today the diversity seems biffer. um, before the divesity was clearer as you had tech fro germany, forest from sweden, acid from england, full-on (not thinking plastic club) from israel, suomi from finland.

:blink:

atm i have no idea what im talig about :rolleyes:

well back in the days (when psy parties actually meant something besides having a gathering of high teenagers...) it used to be dark in the night hours and melodic in the morning. I never really understood the concept for parties that played the same genre at any hour...

@Lemmiwinks

I agree - gotta have some variety through the night to keep it interesting.

Even at my work (I do a 11pm-7am shift) I play certain types of tunes for different hours, and its different every night.

Gotta keep the flavour changing all the time to make it work.

At least thats the way I like to do it - of course there's no opposition when I'm spinning for a party of 1 - but you know.

I find that each night is sort of its own monster with its own demands and sometimes that means

fullon, or goa, or progressive trance, or techtrance, or progressive house, or darkpsy, or suomisaundi, or techno, or minimal or chillout or blah blah blah

I just like to keep it diverse.

Not sure who killed who, but I'll take the darkpsy stuff over the poppy fullon thats being mass produced these days.

Seems like 3 out of 5 new releases is poppy poppy poppy.... not sure its for me, but it seems to be the order of the day.

Why can't we just old school for a while?

haha

Cheers, and PsyON

I would choose dark psy over full too, but dark has become extremely formulaic and 'damn,it's the same again'. At least most of it, very few releases seem to stand out in one way or another.I mean, i even check some new Derango tracks on VA compilations and such, and they can't be compared to Tumult or tracks from around that period.

I like stoner music for most of the time. If no weed is around i don't mind Dark psy. But good releases of genre got status of gems. Osom, Furious, some compilation of Goa Gill, Midnight's Shared Blossom, Acid transmision... - that's all quality releases. Especially Kindzadza is great on compilations.

For Full-on i don't havee kind words. There is God saved the machine - but's just small island in the sea of neverending shit. Full On should have never existed. It's a bigger crap than Phil Collins.

edit: Quasar - One Day - great shit

illegal machines and entropy?

looks like dark psy to me.

I remember someone on this forum calling mr. peculiar's mind dala dark trance and i really couldnt stop laughing. :lol:

i find it funny when the two are paired against each other like there is some sort of animosity doing the rounds. each has its own time, space and mood. i dont think dark psy killed full-on, its just that the audiences found their calling and segregated according to tastes.

in some ways its good that goa found so many sub-genres along the way, artists pushing the envelope in search of that elusive sound. parties where both trance with a softer and hard edge is played brings varied people together. instead of saying goa trance regressed into dark and full-on is a bit harsh on producers like astrix that gave definition to full-on. im still not sure when dark-psy came into being. 2002 with catla and psycho micro? if one is an electronic music fan these days there is so much to choose from.

If no weed is around i don't mind Dark psy.

its the other way around for me. dark psy is made for weed.

I would choose dark psy over full too, but dark has become extremely formulaic and 'damn,it's the same again'. At least most of it, very few releases seem to stand out in one way or another.I mean, i even check some new Derango tracks on VA compilations and such, and they can't be compared to Tumult or tracks from around that period.

Wait, you don't like derango?

Which va tracks are you referring to? Eh Ehh Ehhhh was great!

Wait, you don't like derango?

Which va tracks are you referring to? Eh Ehh Ehhhh was great!

On the contrary, I considered them maybe one of the best groups in the dark psychedelic trance genre ( BoftB asides..), with Psykovsky and CPC.

What I am just saying is that maybe they too have saturated a bit. Their sound has tired me a bit.

Of course they have around 15-20 tracks that are high to top .

On a sidenote though, music listening highly depends on our mood & mindset so ...

atm i have no idea what im talig about :rolleyes:

also in the first post

astrix' third is not even out yet, though there has been extensive advertising a year ago or so, just like the astral game, prolonging seems needed in their eyes to build buzz, yet in astrix' case, new eps and promo stuff pops up out of nowhere... to keep you drooling up to the final release of the full album i suppose :wank:

and btw the most money is in the israeli scene and their psytrance colonies so wtf killed by dark?

illegal machines and entropy?

looks like dark psy to me.

at first sight perhaps but it lacks that hazy undertone that makes dark 'dark' if you know what i mean. the arrangements remind me more of full-on than dark.

& then there's stuff like RAM & NRS; which use the full-on formula like it's a joke but manage to sound alot darker than most of the dark genre itself.