A demonstation in how shit hard trance is.

This is an experiment I want to show all of you. Please try this at home.

This will prove that making a standard hard trance loop shouldnt take you longer than 5 minutes, and show you how absolutely fucking , mind-numblingly crap the genre is. Please try this...

1) You want some horseshit crappy cheesetastic tune all the 12 year olds on their $2 hits of rat poison can bop their heads to. Fill this note pattern in with a standard trancy lead. I used one from Predator for this.

Posted Image

2) now you need some bullshit subbass rumbling in the background like your grandmothers jackhammer dildo through a closed door.

any bullshit subbass will do.

Posted Image

3) Now since hard trance is "so advanced" you want to actually add ANOTHER layer to the bass line. I know, but more than one bassline layer confuses the 12 year old chav into believing it is "technical" and "advanced sounding"

Use single length "trancy" strings for this one. Give it some reverb if you really want to blow their minds.

Posted Image

4) Your trance tune is nearly complete, but we still have to add the most advanced and technical part to this loop...

Posted Image

Please leave this at 4x4. Anything other than that will not be able to be accepted or understood by the average hardhouse/hardhouse clubber.

5) Add a hihat and a string of snares and a clap on every 2nd beat. You could put more effort into this, however anything more complicated than this would scare and confuse the clubber. Leave it simple.

Posted Image

6) Your super-advanced hardtrance tune is nearly complete, but just to make sure it sounds absoutely killer, fill in yet ANOTHER layer in the background. Some standard APR from vanguard should do the trick.

Posted Image

Again, I cannot stress enough how this should not be more technical than this. Many people have tried to add more complex patterns here but it had catastrophic effects with clubbers vomitting and shitting all over the dancefloor.

Done. Now add all your layers, render and it should sound something like this...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0J5W8LL6 (500kb)

Extend it. Add some drug reference samples, a few snare rolls and slip it in at the next rave and see if anyone notices...

Yours hatefully,

Ov3rdos3

Don't you get it? As long as you make money off of it, then it's not your fault for idiots out there buying into that shit. The only setback then is people that hate that music would think you're a sell out or a fag or something.

:lol:

the fact that it is simple doesnt make it bad. Lots of very good music is simple.

The same could apply to any kind of music (except maybe squarepusher :lol: )

If you don't like it.. why go through all the trouble making a loop of that style :blink:

Why not explain us how to make something usefull ?

This is an experiment I want to show all of you. Please try this at home.

This will prove that making a standard hard trance loop shouldnt take you longer than 5 minutes, and show you how absolutely fucking , mind-numblingly crap the genre is. Please try this...

1) You want some horseshit crappy cheesetastic tune all the 12 year olds on their $2 hits of rat poison can bop their heads to. Fill this note pattern in with a standard trancy lead. I used one from Predator for this.

Posted Image

Yours hatefully,

Ov3rdos3

I think this is WAY too complex here, the kids are gonna be looking around for some direction when this hits the needle.

Also, you go through a lot of trouble to dis a sound I don't know anyone that listens to.

chill

Every time you use Megaupload, your girlfriend calls me for phone sex.

So don't do it. It was fun the first time but she's got no imagination.

Like the clip btw. I've passed it on to Chris Organic, he said he'll be getting in touch soon.

sike

your example applies to just about EVERY type of music. I've heard that most early trance never had more than 4 layers simply because samplers didn't technically have the possibility of playing more. And most of those tracks are calssics IMO. Sometimes less = more ;)

• 1 month later...

"It's not very important what melody or baseline you have in a song." - Atmos

You forgot the all important tweaking of knobs. Don't even have an idea what sound you're looking for, just keep playing around until the next hit pops up and slaps you in the face. Then hit "File" and "Export to MySpace".

Sorted.

Oh and it's a little known trick, but adding "killar" or "boom" anywhere in the filename will add an extra sub-bass harmonic to your track (courtesy of the Great Spirit of Music Production) which will indeed "kill" or "boom" any dancefloor on the planet ;)

• 2 weeks later...