2008 so far

Ormion

Untill now one of the best years since the new millenium I think!

We had some great ambient releases (Gus Till, Ultimae stuff, Evan Bartholomew,...)

we had very good forest trance stuff (Procs, Yggdrasil latest)

we had more goa trance then ever before (lol, our own Suntrips but also Goa Times, Phototropic releases and some very good freebies)

and some nice suomi stuff as well! :)

If the music cotinues like this I will stay hooked for a much longer time :)

Wow, thanks to buzzman's review I checked the samples of the new Electrypnose. God knows I didn't like at all his upbeat dark stuff on Where Do We Go etc. But now I'm just listening to the samples on loop. Check out n°4, 7, 8, pure mayhem!

Definitely worth a listen IMO.

tutankhamon 9000 is where it's at...

for all dark/intelligent/deep aficionados out there.

I go along with this.

And I add Tamlin's album, which I've only downloaded thus far, but will be buying for sure with my next order.

Other then that, can anybody tell me where can I order Jikooha's latest from? The "usual suspects" don't seem to have it in stock...

Androneda's miraculous ambient debut is head and shoulders above anything labeled as downtempo, with Distant System not falling far behind.

That's my quick glimpse at 2008.

it seems to get better as the year reaches its closure......just look what just came out and what is coming out soon....

a test for my self-control.....and i guess not for mine alone ;) ( :lol: abasio....)

I have zero self control :(

The Kino Oko album really did it for me - one of my favorite in recent times...

Some of MEEO is fantastic as well (that track "Ball of Gum" is sick as fuck!!) but some of it I find abrasive and annoying - I think that is an artist to watch though, and I didn't see a Hallucinogen copycat like others said...

• 1 month later...

Hello to all, and may I start with wishing you all the best in the forthcoming year.

I just wanted to share my general joy and appreciation of how 2008 went down, psy trance wise that is.

I didn't give it much thought before today, but now I clearly see that last year just may be the finest year in this genre since 1999.

In retrospective, this was a fantastic year for virtually everyone who is in some way involved in the scene. Suntrip Records hit it on the nail with three releases in one year, one of which saw the resurrection of old school veteran Ra. While it wasn't all peaches and cream, the news of Filteria and Merr0w having new material in the chamber ready to unload should have the diligent Suntrippers back to some four to the floor madness. The newly born Cronomi Records gave us a taste of greater things yet to come, while Phototropic Records finally brought us the long awaited (and long time over due) albums by Filipe Santos, and shed light on Agneton, a very interesting and let's say, daring producer.

Despite the fact my taste barely ever gets associated with the proggy psy side of things, the return of Atmos and Vibrasphere made me take notice as well. Like them or not, but these are mile stone artists doing what they do best.

Moving on to even bigger things, the collective known as O.O.O.D. released their fourth album and proved that they still keep it wet behind their ears, while simultaneously one of their members lent a hand in the second Voice Of Cod album, which I have not yet listened to.

As if that wasn't enough, they brought back to life the uber classic debut album "aLive" as a free downloadable release in its full glory via the ektoplazm website. Speaking of which, the free sophmore output by Jikkenteki brings more smiles to one's face than having the entire Buster Keaton DVD collection on your bed room shelf. Furthermore, the aforementioned site ran by Basilisk is getting more and more recognition as time goes by, counting heaps of clicks by internet users world wide and providing its services to upcoming artists, enabling them to get their music out there.

The downtempo department did not yawn for twelve month either. In fact, very interesting twists and turns were taken by artists Tyler Smith and Richard Rutter, with their metamorphosis and rebirths as Distant System and Orbit Constructions, respectively.

Even though their catalogue doesn't really impress me, the re-release of the vast majority of Ultimae Records back catalogue is a wet dream come true to many upon many chilled out music afficionados.

Speaking of wet dreams becoming reality, the advent of "Tetrahedron", the long lost and venerated album by the legendary old school super group, Crop Circles, has finally seen the light of day, and made countless old school heads toss their KFC chicken wings six feet up in the air. Another one of old school heroes, Chi A.D. has risen from the dead, and released one brand new album and the ever green "Earth crossing", both in lossless quality through his own website.

The underground realms of Sweden brought us the super raw and gritty album by none other than Ka-Sol, while M.E.E.O.'s album made heads spin with his entertaining, witty and benevolent take on modern psy trance, while suomi fans rejoiced mainly due to new albums released by Texas Faggott and their relatively less known side project, Mandalavandalz. And with two fantastic various artists compilations, "No possible soundz vol. 3" and "Mixed by Sharaku", both courtesy of the Japan based 6-Dimension Sound label, the simply beautiful throughout "Spectrogram" album by new comer Tamlin, and the insanely hard hitting "Lost in luxor" by Tutankhamon 9000, my guess is that the sometimes repetitive and recently unimaginative finnish sound has been given a dosage of fresh air!

We also had some former heroes and production masters of the past take a complete u-turn and pursue a different path, namely Extrawelt (more known as Midimiliz and Spirallianz to the psy crowd) and Minilogue (formerly the prog-psy super duo Son Kite); both projects released slick and subtle albums on Sven Vath's power house of a label, Cocoon Records. And last but not least, Marcus C. Michael returned to form with the third The Delta album, but this time around without his ex-studio partners. Ticon, to joy of some and dissapointment of many, underwent a complete makeover, and brought to life (if anything) an interesting, mainly in relation to their previous output, sound on their "[2am]" album. Whether you appreciate or not- it's up to you.

I do not know if I skipped anything of greater importance, but reading through my own post, I have this hunch that we just experienced a year which could have easily reinstalled the faith in the genre to any non believer or hater, regardless of where you're at.

To end with a good note, with so many promising acts to come and so many releases just waiting to hit stores, I can hardly assume that 2009 will let down. So, have a good one y'all! :)

Yes. Happy New Years everybody. Rino, nice overview.

Alright it's getting that time; the Best of 2008 thread is now up in the sub-forum at the top of the General Section. I recently came across an album called Hol Baumann - Human which is pretty impressive for downtempo. Check it out. Btw you can get it for less on amazon MP3. :)

Hol Baumann - Human

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=7097

That's a very nice summary there, Rino.

Indeed, this year has been quite nice, music-wise.

Hope it continues that way in the next year.

I have nothing to write in the official best of thread as I have not bought enough yet. March first will come all too quickly I fear :(

2008 was a great year & I missed so much :unsure:

Really good year for me. Got loads of releases that i love:

Perfect Stranger: Free Cloud (neeed to write a review for this one. def my favourite of the year)

Ticon: 2am

Kino Oko: Alphabetically divided highway

Haltya: Book of nature

OOOD: Fourthought

Human Blue: Base basket buffet (still no review for this stunner either! argh!)

Electrypnose: Funked Up

Ra: 9th

Distant System: Spiral Empire

Eat Static: back to earth

V/A: Cabaret

Ace Ventura: Re:Boot

The Zap!: Big Bang

Tegma: Lo-Fi Adventures

+ loooooads of psybreaks singles which have been killing it this year. No albums to mention yet though...

Still want to get my hands on Atmos, Vibrasphere, Talpa and AKD before i can vote though...

Looking forward to 2009 too, hopefully we will get a new shpongle, younger brother, BT, the Eat Static's 20th anniversary album, allaby, son kite, solar fields, Slackbaba, Atomic Drop and many more i'm sure. And Exogenic Breaks should put out some more good releases, and Broken Robot records (Far too loud's new label) willl be up and running in 2009 which is also rather exciting.

Human Blue: Base basket buffet (still no review for this stunner either! argh!)

heard of this one...

Lone Ranger is one helluva track!