Old School Goa lacks creativity!

healium

from a purely mechanical way of thinking, i think old school goa tracks make the difference on good speakers

i agree they sound similar on poorer speakers, however there is another issue: many tracks are linked with special memories and moments. this makes them unique in every sense

You could be right. I've always had decent speakers or at least good headphones & I've always been able to see differences between artists.

Then again I have always been one for subtlety, I like minimal & everything :ph34r:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand healium. Maybe the difference is about how psychedelic they are and you want them to be, that is what gives these albums a unique feeling. Listened a lot to oldskool and only a couple of albums could stand the test of time like dragon tales, crytic crunch, sandman, air born, the lone deranger... In the end it comes down to a matter of taste I suppose and it has nothing to do with sound quality, listend to this artists on big, small, good, bad soundsystems at home and at parties. Most of the typical oldskool albums just don't do it anymore, except some tracks here and there. For me it something about how the melodies sound, the way they use 303's,...

Like with any other electronic dance music, it tends to sound the same if you don't like it or fully enjoy it. You know, if you don't dive deep enough into the music, you won't feel the or see the differenses.. Like many people say about fullon(intro,1section,break,buildup,climax,outro), or with electro(i think it sounds the same allmost 90% of the times) where as my friend(who enjoys electro) think the music I hear sounds the same

Like with any other electronic dance music, it tends to sound the same if you don't like it or fully enjoy it. You know, if you don't dive deep enough into the music, you won't feel the or see the differenses.. Like many people say about fullon(intro,1section,break,buildup,climax,outro), or with electro(i think it sounds the same allmost 90% of the times) where as my friend(who enjoys electro) think the music I hear sounds the same

It's not that it all sounds the same I can definetely hear the differences between artists. But they all use some sort off sounds and melodies I don't like and it lacks some creativity in my opinion.

Another problem I think is when you don't listen to music chronologically. For example someone might be used to the music from the past few years, and the releases from the 90s might sound vague and plain, without any differences. I think it's only a first impression of the listener, if he would dive into and try to play some of that music for a longer period of time he would eventually start to appreciate it.

It's not that it all sounds the same I can definetely hear the differences between artists. But they all use some sort off sounds and melodies I don't like and it lacks some creativity in my opinion.

Isn't that sort of sound and melodies what defines the whole genre? If you change it, it becomes another type of psytrance

I haven't met anyone outside of a psy party that would even recognise those names to be honest. I'm sure they are more famous in Europe but those aren't exactly Goa :lol:

Shpongle is something completely apart, even my dad knows shpongle :ph34r: There is much more in the chill out genre that appeals to more non goa fans I think.

Infected mushroom a definite maybe

I heard vicous delicous on in some semi fancy hat store in san francisco, this is where my faith in them finally died.

I think shpongle/vibrasphere are somewhat well known in the chillout scene also. The more dedicated trance fans might have heard of astral projection/man with no name also.

And BTW, it's (IMO) VERY difficult to compose and play those big goa melodies, sometimes 2-3 or 4 melodies on top of eachother in perfect ballance. So the creativity is just placed a different place than where you look ;)

You're right, I just grew bored of the sound never thought that would be possible, but there are artist that manage to create albums that still appeal to me after a couple of years. Just to many homelistening combined with odlskool parties every weekend destroyed the magic.

You're right, I just grew bored of the sound never thought that would be possible, but there are artist that manage to create albums that still appeal to me after a couple of years. Just to many homelistening combined with odlskool parties every weekend destroyed the magic.

well, for some... For some not I guess :) I'm still not tired of it... :unsure:

MY INPUT TO THIS THREAD:

Even if old school goa trance did lack creativity, I reckon that would put off anybody who is momentarily, or has been during the years, a faithful and "diligent" aficionado/follower of the genre.

FINAL VERDICT:

Q: Does old school goa trance lack creativity?

A: Does anybody really give a shit with two flies circling around it?

As a lover of subtlety I find creativity in places other people do not.

Oldschool oozes creativity, if if you can tell when something was made based on the equipment used or the popular sounds does not mean that it is uncreative. Every artist I hear from the old days (well not the crap ones) sound distinctive as good artists do now :rolleyes: