Full-On 2008

StraydoG

EDIT: 29.9.08 - Electric Universe, CPU & Zen Mechanics

EDIT: 6.6.08 - Michele Adamson, Sine Die, Phanatic, Silent Hill & PTX

EDIT: 21.5.08 - Brethren, Midnight Storm, Global Exposition & Native Sound

OK, this is my personal opinion so if you want check my discogs, then you can see what Im into a make a judgement from there. This is for all 2008 full-on releases. I thought this would be useful and Id like to give something back for all the dumbsh!t questions I asked ;) All my opinions so they dont mean anything unless you want them too. Id welcome anyone else who wants to add onto what Ive started, most members like to read others thoughts. Id like to review but Im not good at putting these things into words. So far I think this year started off slow but the releases within the last month or so have hit us with some great music. Heres my babble...

Strays Good Pile: (Whats considered to be stuff I should have this year. My Discogs rating: 4-5, all good sh!t)

Electric Universe - Burning

This one comes down to do you like guitars in your music? Usually theres annoyance as most people believe tracks are "ruined" by the use of them. I thought this was a solid album. Its obvious as Boris has used them in every album Ive heard but he does it well IMO. Some great new tracks and updated old brillant tracks. Give it a try, not all tracks are loaded with guitars but they make appearances here and there.

Sine Die - Life Hack

This was one of those random buys just like Zybex and again it turned out to be a brilliant CD. Had an interesting write up and interesting it is! Great music and variation throughout the album. Full-on which is nowhere near boring, its a good balance so its not dull but not too noisey either. Alot of melodies and nice bass lines going on all around the place. Some of them a little psychedelic too. Not sure what to say but buy it!

Phanatic - Outsider

Expectations usually never work and neither did it work here. I was expecting a lot more harder full-on than what this CD gives. Its fairly soft, not morning trance still full-on. The way it manages to sound this way is the use of more regular trance like synths. So although I was prepared for something quite different it turns out to be nice in a different way, very relaxing but energetic. Couple of tracks I wasnt quite into but still a good album.

PTX - Color Your Ears

Nothing that I dislike but nothing that stands out just bits and peices so I guess it makes it just an average album or does it? May need a few more listens since I warm up to it a little more each time so its getting better. Always love any full-on album that ends on a downtempo track though!

Brethren - The Price Of Prophecy

Holy shit this CD is bad ass. Little mix of classical, cinamatic like music and twilight SA psy as we know it. Previous release from these two was good, nothing special but this, too good! Havent been so impressed with a SA release since Pitch Hikers debut album. Full of power & energy!

Native Sound (Various/Noga)

Ah good ol' Noga style. Little to do with psychedelic really but good trancey full-on. Looking at the line up of artists you know what your in for and it delivers quite well. Not the perfect CD but still a great release to have.

Midnight Storm III (Various/Nexus)

First '08 SA dose. Always good when you want it a little heavier and more edge. A pretty good track listing full of twilight goodness, solid CD giving you an idea of what South African style is about.

Ephedrix - Far Away

Never heard of them, only reason I got this is from the success of Digicult on the same label, Dacru. Happy buy, more melody bliss! This is the kind of stuff that I can either chill out to or hype me up depending on my mood, love it.

Space Buddha - No Shields

Hoorah Space Buddha! Like his last album he knows how to keep full-on melodic but psychedelic at the same time. It has a slightly softer feeling overall that his last CD but that doesnt stop me from enjoying this one bit. Another top release.

Ultravoice - Star Alliance II

I wasnt expecting to be this happy. The last SA album was alright but nothing special so expections were just another OK CD, not the case! I love this, good full-on. Gives a mix of different styles, lighter and darker sides, break beats and sweet melodies. Recommended!

Digicult - Out Of This World

I dont think I need to explain this one, it already caused a stir. Yes its good and yes check it out. Its a good step up from their last album and its almost like a journey. Great use of sampling from movies add to the effect.

Tikal - Cosmic Dragon

My first encounter with Tikal, never heard a song from them at all. Some brilliant stuff on this CD, first song grabbed my attention straight away, a beautiful 10 minute trip. Not your usual Israeli stuff so I quite liked it for something different.

Zybex - Surreal Energy

Something completely different. I picked this up as a random CD, turned out to be very good. Not your typical full-on at all but it contains elements from stuff from a few full-on genres. The album has a good range and each song is different, some of the bass lines in this are really nice.

Oforia - Arcadia

I wasnt certain on this CD has the last one I brought which had a similar theme was a dissapointment but this however was good stuff. Bonus is you get an extra EP CD aswell with a few tracks and video clip so cant complain about that.

Strays Alright Pile: (Something thats good to have but if you dont have it you will live. My Discogs rating: 3 or 4 if generous)

Insomnia - Rollercoaster

Decent CD, nothing thats really bad here, just not overly exciting either but it does have its good touches here & there.

GOA Sound System 8 (Various/YSE)

Im not big on progressive, theres actually very little I like but its always good to put on once in awhile. The full-on side is alright, nothing special but nothing horrible so it makes a for a decent compilation.

Global Exposition (Various/Fineplay)

Quite a few names you see in the full-on genre so I thought I would give it a go. Its OK, as its in the OK pile. There is a few stand out tracks, others are alright. I can also see why people do not like Transwave. I thought it was to do with them being full-on not goa but even there full-on style is kind of... gross?

Michele Adamson - Strange Attractions

If your reading this then you must like full-on, do you like vocals though? Vocals can make or break a track and none of these tracks I believe are ruined by Michele. Although alot of it sounds almost the same I found the problem was lack of excitement in the music itself. There was 2 or 3 stand out tracks and the rest were just mediocre. Not bad but not great.

Silent Hill - Break Me To Peices

What a hard one to review. The start is so-so but as it gets further in the tracks improve. Its probably not enough for me to keep it but it doesnt deserve to be placed in the bad pile. Some parts of the tracks are absolutely beautiful but theres not enough of these moments. Each to his own so Im sure some of you guys will be more into this than I am.

Zen Mechanics - Holy Cities

Yawn. Ive seen alot of good things written on this and couldnt believe how boring it was. Its much closer to progressive than full-on. It has a few alright songs but the majority just does nothing for me as it continues on slowly building but never getting anywhere. Place it here as its not bad but not my stuff.

Strays Bad Pile: (Stuff where my money would have been better spent elsewhere. My Discogs rating: 1-3, 3 can be given but is a CD I still wouldnt keep)

CPU - Eat It

I was wondering what the fuss was about, well Im dissapointed too. I only know of CPUs work thorugh compilations and have always liked his stuff. Here we are let down with another Nutek release full of stupid and random sounds. Again it has its good elements but outweighed with crap. Such a shame that CPU can produce some mean tracks but this album is anything but.

Switch - Raver's Only!

This CD is not completely bad but I found there was to many stupid sounds throughout most the songs that ruined the experience. Theres maybe 2 tracks with Im quite fond of but in general I found myself skipping through tracks. Most tracks also have good parts but if you have any interest, listen first!

Mad Netic - Magnetic Fields

Another case of stupid sounds. Seems to be the main reason with releases this year why Im not into them. Normally its just nothing much happens so its boring. There actually is alot going on with this guys tracks which is a shame a guess. Not quite my stuff.

Aeternal - Visiosonic

Like the above theres a few good songs. Problem I found with this CD was although some tracks sound OK, it just seems nothing changes so you grow bored. The main flaw though is some tracks sound like cut and paste jobs, its like the sounds, instruments etc sometimes dont match up and sound out of sync, not good at all.

Other recommendations although I have not heard it would be Best Of Noga. As I have most those tracks from last years releases and they are some of my top stuff. Opus Iridium for a GOA fix, not as good as I hoped, probably because Im not the biggest ambient/downtempo fan. Some of it is brilliant rest is OK. Still worth it because there is no bad tracks of course. RA - 9th for more GOA. I do find some of it sounds similar but also some of it really stands out at the same time. First encounter with RA and its realy nice plus its from Suntrip so go get it. Still more to come! Keep an eye out and Ill update when I recieve more albums.

Lots of interesting albums there, I sure want to check out Space Buddha and Ephedrix, I allready know and love Digicult. The second album is way better than the first, and even that was nice. Have you heard the new U-Recken? It's in the mail and I can't wait to get it...

just listened for the first time to the new u-recken,

better than the first one imo...

some good spirals, switching patterns of baselines,

still the typical u-recken influences what is a good thing...

subtle fullon, a continue of psychedelic sounds...

well done...

The Zen Mechanics and Headroom albums. Some of the best full on I've heard in a long while.

+ one

also i quite like the sabretooth album

Apart from those i havent heard much interesting stuff yet. Just the same as the rest....

As I have already posted on other threads similar to this one.

Best of fullon 2008 (thus far)

V/A-About Time

Digicult-Out Of This World

Materia-Out Of Tune

Headroom-Artelligent

Zen Mechanics-Holy Cities

U-Recken-Deeper Into Man (by far the best, between this and Digicult)

Still interested in checking out the new Ephedrix album.

Also curious to see where the new Psysex sound has gone.

Still interested in checking out the new Ephedrix album.

review is online, you have to like fullon if you want to appreciate this album,

it's amazing good in it's category, if you don't mind a taste of variated morning fullon with huge climaxes

and morning tinted baselines you will like it ;)

For the listeners:

Zen Mechanics

V/A - Little Worlds (if you call that full-on)

For the DJs:

V/A - Midnight Storm 3

V/A - Sprite

Sadly that's all I seem to have in the way of full releases I would recommend. I was surprised!

Tikal - Cosmic Dragon

My first encounter with Tikal, never heard a song from them at all. Some brilliant stuff on this CD, first song grabbed my attention straight away, a beautiful 10 minute trip. Not your usual Israeli stuff so I quite liked it for something different.

yes, it's a french band. Great stuff. I need to check out this album asap.

freq is prog. isn't it? :unsure: The remixes are full on?

i was just talking about the protoculture remix. any full on fan surely would enjoy the other remixes as well, im guessing ;)

freq is prog. isn't it? :unsure: The remixes are full on?

On the Remixed CD there are two full on remixes: Protoculture and Tristan. The rest of there remixes are progressive :)

freq remixed.

the protoculture remix of stone shaker :wub:

it's the only track I don't like on the album :D

but I never liked the original freq too so, the samples are not what I'm looking for...

each it's taste don't get me wrong ;)

so far i only checked out Artifakt and maybe it is not full on but it is nice

it's nice but not fullon jelle ;)

on topic :

the new human blue - Base Basket Buffet is pretty nice to,

decent fullon, forget about the fact that it's human blue and it's earlier work and you might like it as I do :)

the new human blue - Base Basket Buffet is pretty nice to,

decent fullon, forget about the fact that it's human blue and it's earlier work and you might like it as I do :)

To be honest I don't count Base Basket Buffet as Full On, but more as fast Progressive.

To be honest I don't count Base Basket Buffet as Full On, but more as fast Progressive.

yeah it's one of those albums who use both influences,for example artist like etic, yotopia do,

and that is what I like about it... not sticking to one genre...

Best Full On of 2008? Add Brethren-The Price Of Prophecy please!

Twilight Psy, perfect balanced between totally melodic Psy (with a slightly epic touch) and storming energy. Top notch!!! :posford:

I should be recieving the new Brethren CD tomorrow.

I would have reviewed the new Michele Adamson CD but some fucking cunts stole my mail. The only reason I know its stolen because the Psyshop invoice fucking came back all muddy in my box. Fucking piss me off, theres 3 CDs gone.

In other news Various - Native Sound (Noga) - Quite good, 4/5 probably. If your into Nogas recent stuff then you will like it. Ziki - Elminator was one of my favs from last year.

Cant remember what else Im going to get, mostly older CDs I thinks.