Infected Mushroom - Vicious Delicious

Goa Bill

It's a simple deal. What the most important thing in your priority list ? Music you love, or money ? :unsure:

It's not a simple deal. Whoever gave you that idea must have never went past the kindergarten level.

Man, don't take me wrong, but judging from what you wrote, I take you hooked up with the dudes from I.M. last night, and that must have been when they told you that they dislike the music they are producing now. In fact, it is a well known fact that artists produce music they are not feeling, right? You actually spoke to them and they told you how they are doing music nowadays exclusively for the money?

It's not about abandoning the fans, or whatever idea you exposed here, it is merely a fact of moving away from a genre getting as tired as Oprah Winfrey's talk shows... It's about willing to change directions and/or experimenting with new sounds and ideas. Whether YOU want to follow or not, that is up to you. See, but that does not mean they abandoned you, it's viceversa, as they are still here producing music, while you are the one turning your back on them. Do not be confused.

The mere fact that Infected Mushroom are today not producing music you initially fell in love with does not, and will not ever imply that their modern output automatically suck.

You lost interest in them, and that is something you are 100% intitled to, but keep in mind that whoever is behind the I.M. project has all the right to completely and permanently lose interest in this scene. Prove me wrong...

I also reckon you are well acquainted with the members of this project since you seem to be more familiar with their priority list than your own to do list off those yellow post-it sheets :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

I want to change my statement about this album. It's great, not if you look at it as a psy-trance album. The simple thing is I enjoy myself to the fullest when I listen to this album, despite the cheesy and bad singing. And I've always had the feel while listening to Infected's releases that they are just playing around, producing music for them seems so easy.

• 2 months later...

i really don't mind them having dropped the old regime actually, they've just become million dollar popstarz and hey, that can be cool too B)

especially when it's your fav unknown israeli duo breaking all the records

i think the only tracks i didn't like where suliman and two others i think... listened it a few times since i got it, vicious delicious (the track) has both a very commercial/poppy edge to it, and at the same time a very psychedelic one. Two aspects i really don't like to hear together in one song. But which could be good under the right circumstances.

but to vicious delicious live on stage i only have one thing to say: WOW

just f*cking WOW

i'm already glad they're still making music and that when i'm listening this album, i can still feel a small afterglow of the magic being done before...

i really don't mind them having dropped the old regime actually, they've just become million dollar popstarz and hey, that can be cool too B)

especially when it's your fav unknown israeli duo breaking all the records

i think the only tracks i didn't like where suliman and two others i think... listened it a few times since i got it, vicious delicious (the track) has both a very commercial/poppy edge to it, and at the same time a very psychedelic one. Two aspects i really don't like to hear together in one song. But which could be good under the right circumstances.

but to vicious delicious live on stage i only have one thing to say: WOW

just f*cking WOW

i'm already glad they're still making music and that when i'm listening this album, i can still feel a small afterglow of the magic being done before...

They are still best and their lives are beyond insanity, Such a response is hardly seen on any Metal show. They just need to be little more patiente in the studio - to make things perfect - like they used to. And once Duvded undergo through chordektomy and replace it with CPU emulator all be cool.

but I don't listen to VD often, let's say very rarely, What fits for live shows doesn't always work for home contemplation

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This album is cool

Not sure that some of the tracks should be on a psy album but its varied and at least my girlfriend will tolerate it.

Vicious Delicious is the best track for me

7/10

• 1 month later...

I agree. Some tracks seem extremely out of place for a Psy album.

Clearly the artists' goal was to appeal to as many people as they could,

by having a variety of tracks down to the point they even do hip hop, rap.

However this is a flawed approach because many people end up confused.

It's like making an album with half rock and the other half Psytrance.

The final result is a mixed bag where many people are turned on and vice versa.

Do these guys have a goal to make a Psy verson of opera, rock, hip hop, metal, punk, etc?

Because that could be innovative, but would it be good? I don't think so.

So when I hear these new non Psy tracks I wonder... ? :unsure:

Infected Mushroom's goal obviously is to attract more people from any and all genre's. But they do Psytrance, electronica, mid and downtempo music exceptionally well. Tracks like Vicious Delicious and Heavy Weight are wonderful achievements for starters. And many people wish they'd focus more on great, lyrics free (oh, someone's ego doesn't like the sound of that) and super friendly sounding variety as opposed to off beat, take us out of the wonderful mood song's like Forgive Me, Special Place, and In Front of Me. Please guys. No. Virtually everything else is so well done. Even little moments with voices are tolerable, as long as they're few and far between. Getting vocally involved with the music generally works ALOT better on stage, at parties, etc, than on an album like this, and to the degree such singing is done here.

These artists still produce outstanding Electronic, Trance, Psytrance, even by todays standards. And it would be very cool if they stuck to their best work, the work that people enjoy the most who appreciate this music, and for them to captialize on that with a new album, maybe a year or two. I think too much emphasis was put into trying to appeal to too many people with this album. It comes off more like a compilation than an actual vision/theme driven world. And this vision/theme driven world is what many people loved about their first three albums. IM got lost in their own brilliant and imaginative wonderland in a positive way. Too many cooks didn't spoil the brooth and the ego was toned down to compensate for the amazing sounds produced without the distraction of various lyrics and singing. IM does not need to make wonderul theme/vision driven albums as they did with the first three or four albums, for starters. They could make more albums in compilation style as was done here, but with continuously excellent numbers however and none that are so out of place, as was not done here. Naturally, they don't need to make a sequel to their more Goa influenced first three Psytrance albums. They don't need to do anything if they don't want to.

This group wanted feedback and to know what people liked and didn't like. Now they have opinions and reviews all over the internet. It shouldn't be difficult for such talented and creative musicians to see so clearly what works and what should be avoided, assuming that someone's ego is left out of it. People love the music that these artists produce, not their egos. The ego is never satisfied. It wants and it wants until every track has singing in it. Because the ego needs in order to be an ego. These artists are famous because of their talent, their gift to create superb music. There first three albums were wonderful because they left the ego out of it to some degree. That energy was put into a vision. Their desire was more in their art than their image, their sense of self worth. It was what many people wouldn't deny being a reflection of thier soul.

Tracks that work on this album and come across as successes from what I've read throughout the internet. And a decent amount of people like or liked Becoming Insane based on what I've read. I won't lie.

- Vicious Delicious

- Heavy Weight

- Change the Formality

- Eat It Raw

- Before

Those tracks are considered by the majority to be hits, good and/or great songs. Notice how the majority generally favors tracks with singing less and/or not at all with very few exceptions. People like singing at times on stage because it riles them up and makes them feel more involved. But the Linkin Park rap/rock thing has got to go. Many people have said it is unoriginal and suspect. They're singing is flat. It isn't vocally gripping, although more people seem to agree with me that the chorus is pretty good and better than the rapping parts in the track.

I'd love more tracks on the innovative level of Heavy Weight and especially Dancing With Kadafi. I like when these guys push the limits but they aren't pushing anything by singing songs that aren't great or infectious. In some ways they are retracting the amazing image that they have established by trying to bring too much of that being on stage in front of thousands of fans energy into their main albums. Bringing out the ego worked at first with the opening track on Converting Vegetarians "Other Side" CD album. They were having fun and it sounded like such, passionate and distinct. The result after the CV double album unfortunately was someone who got far too excited and comfortable, and decided to blow up his ego, to some degree on IM the Supervisor.

It works on stage more because people like someone jumping around keeping things interesting, entertaining, and exciting. Even the vocal/singing work in Becoming Insane works IMO, though some people will disagree. But I would never want an entire album or even a third of an album by them like that. But again, on stage you can do a couple tracks like that and people will go nuts because a live performance is generally more appealing at a concert than watching two guys spin music while looking down at their sets. But that's when people are dancing!

Many people throughout the world appreciate these guys because of tracks like Heavy Weight, Dancing With Kadafi and there dozens, literally, of great and/or superb Psytrance, uptempo songs. Many people liked Muse Breaks (RMX) but I suppose the lead singer didn't want anyone taking his credit for singing but himself. And so people begin to get sick and tired of his voice, him, and essentially his ego, at times throughout the album and when he isn't on stage. I'm not saying that singing will destroy this group. I'd be biased to say that. But this group will gradually push their legacy and their amazing impression to the world into the ground if they continue the path of tracks like Artillery, Forgive Me, Special Place, and In Front of Me. And I'm one of the fewer people who likes Artillery. Regardless, it isn't about me. These tracks are completely out of place on the album. Same goes for the final two tracks on Juno Reactor's Gods and Monsters album. These approaches confuse fans. They're don't create positive results, but questioning, like what's happening to one of my favorite groups? They're changin genre's and it isn't nearly as good.

For the record, people at a major party, event, and/or concert often will go nuts when the lead singer begins jumping around, getting involved with the music and singing. We've all been to concerts before and can relate the conept.

So who are we kidding here? This group knows what sounds excellent and what doesn't. They can keep pouring energy into their less aware self or their ego's for half the album and confuse their fans. Or they can continue to develop their higher self, drop the ego bag and continue creatively pushing limits on some of the greatest tunes ever produced in Psytrance, up, mid, and downtempo music. People love IM because of the music they generally create without lyrics. These artists have a choice to make regarding the approach they take on their next album. They can either confuse their fans or empower them with 9-10 really amazing, infectious, and dance friendly Psytrance songs with maybe one or two exceptions for wondeful mid and/or downtempo numbers.

This isn't just how I feel. Girls too who I've spoken with have said several similar things in far fewer words... that past the opening track where "they" were clearly having fun, "He can't sing. He needs to stop singing. It's just... cut the singing out." I've heard this reworded multiple times since this album released. And it boggles not all, but many minds that they let it get this far. But it's that damn ego thing again. We the lead artist here can rap, although it sounds flat, monotone, etc, but that doesn't mean he should develop a career in rapping unless he wants to release a solo project and leave the wonderful name of Infected Mushroom out of it, clearly a great group name for Psy, Goa, electronica, but not Rap or Rock, not somthing that is out of place that isn't good like Forgive Me or Special Place either. And I understand they like In Front of Me, and it's not bad per say. But on this an Infected Mushroom it sounds a bit strange and out of place, like I'm listening to a different album that needs a different mood. Again, the lead singer can cut a solo project and use the success of IM to market it if he so badly wants to sing so much. Then he can see how many people really care about tracks like Forgive Me, Special Place and In Front of Me relative to why they listen to this group.

IMHO the lead singer here should read A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose so he becomes more conscious of how aware, clearheaded, wonderful and purposeful he has the potential to be.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I hope someday they will make pure psytrance album just to please and/or straighten up all the whiners out there.

Listening to 'Forgive me' I wonder if Daft Punk have heard of IM (I think the other way is quite obvious) ;) ?

When You're in the mood for psy - play some 'Classical Mushroom' or 'The Gathering', if You want to hear sth nicely engineered and don't afraid of hit-and-miss rock guitars plus modulated vocals with a heavy accent - sit back and try to enjoy 'Vicious Delicious'.

• 1 year later...

Not IM fan, except one album which I like "The Gathering".... this one is quite bad tbh.

Only 1 good track (3), 2-3 tolerable ones but I generally don´t like their style and high pitched stuff etc... 4/10

However of course this is also quite an odd mixture and somehow experimental - this I can admire.