Best CDJ's for Psytrance

Psychoactive Synth

I have recently just converted to CD turntables, but have not ordered any yet.

I already have a mixer planned out. I need some good opinions on what CD turntables to order that would go best with psytrance style music. So far, I have concluded to get the Denon S1000's. My budet is 400$ a piece.

Anywho, thanks for the help ahead of time.

no scratching with the cdj-100. Are you playing psytrance? Ive never heard a psy dj scratching... I dont think it would sound too bad, tho, done right. Id recommend the Pioneers of whatever model you can afford. THe cdj-800 has nearly the same stuff as the cdj-1000 for less money. The cdj-100 is all you need, though, its pretty minimal but it does the job well, reads scratched stuff, and won't skip. Im happy with mine! $450USD on ebay, 2 cdjs and a mixer with a case. Im sure you can find something similar.

not sure what you need scratching for with psytrance.. but if you enjoy it why not :P ?

scratching wise you could go for the cdj 800 's or 1000's. the others dont have a scratch option (no vinyl mode). not sure if the denon's can scratch.

if you dont need the scratching i would go for the cdj 100's or the 200's. 200's are better than the denon 1000 imho. i had a look into it a few months ago and didnt quite fancy paying that much for the denon 1000's. so i got the 200's from musicstore.de

paid 920 for two.

good luck with your choice!

and won't skip

656053[/snapback]

yea, when it's a brand new unit reading freshly baked cds. :P

it does skip. not too often, but if the cd sucks (not scratched, sucks. there's a difference :P) it'll skip.

I checked those as well.  Do they have any scratch functions?  What do they have over the Denons?

655777[/snapback]

check google,

the cd 1000 has a joggle wheel as big as a viny so sracthing with i perfectly can,

skipping can always be pioneer or evenother have sensitive cd lensens so make sure your cd is always not damaged, and and make sure it's clean,

one thing: I think new one cdj 1000 cost aroudn 1000 euro a piece so,

ps: scathing with goa can be perfectly done, if you fade an equalizer,

play with 3decks,

better then loops imo :)

that's the 1000, best of the year imo considering mix cd player,

had the advance to play on one, super !

Posted Image

Digital CD Deck

The new industry standard CDJ-1000MK3 provides full MP3 compatibility, a HOT LOOP feature, JOG wheel ‘feeling adjust’ and improved presentation of track and WAVE data along with support for SD cards to store cues and loops. A brighter improved resolution on both raised jog wheel display and main display further enhance performance for DJs.

Performance Control CDJ-1000 MK3

Hot Cue (sampler) Ja

Hot Loop Ja

Quick Start Ja

Reverse Ja

Real Time Seamless Loop Ja

Loop Adjust In / out Adjust

Reloop Ja

Geheugen CDJ-1000 MK3

MMC-Multimediacard Ja

Memory Internal & Removable MMC (Multimedia Card)

Wave Data Ja

Cue / Loop Memory Ja

Shock-Proof Ja

CD Control CDJ-1000 MK3

Jog Dial size 206,0 mm

Jog Dial type Touch sensitive

Jog Modes CDJ / Vinyl Mode

Pitch Bend Ja

Scratch Play / Cue Ja

Quick Scratch After searching Track

Fader Start / Back Cue start Ja

Relay Play Ja

Frame Search 1/75 Sec

Vinyl Speed Adjust Ja

Tempo CDJ-1000 MK3

Master Tempo Ja

BPM Counter Ja

Front loading Slot-In CD Ja

Cue Functions CDJ-1000 MK3

Auto Cue Ja

Manual Cue Ja

Real Time Cue Ja

Cue point sampler Ja

Display CDJ-1000 MK3

Wave Display Ja

Jog Display Ja

Playing Address Ja

Algemeen CDJ-1000 MK3

Media Loading Type Slot

Anti Vibration Ja

Analogue Output 1 stereo RCA

Digital Output Ja

Type of Discs 12 & 8cm CDs

Disc Format CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3 CD

MP3 MPEG-1 32Kbps - 320 Kbps / MPEG-2 16 Kbps - 160 Kbps

MP3 Folder Search Ja

Included Accessories MMC (Movable memory card), power cord, manual, stereo phono cable, Control Cable, Forced Eject Pin

Specificaties CDJ-1000 MK3

Frequentiebereik 4 Hz ~ 20 kHz

S/R-verhouding 115 dB of meer (JEITA)

Vervorming 0,006 % (JEITA)

Verbruik 27 Watt

Stroomvereisten 220 - 240 V, 50/60 Hz

Afmetingen (B x H xD) 320 x 105 x 370 mm

Gewicht 4.2 kg

ps: even on e-bay it's still expensive, they rather new :(

whatever you do don't by the cdj 100 they are crap ... the 0.1 % pitch resolution is a total rip off and the jogwheel sucks too ...

there are only 2 options :

cdj 200

cdj 1000

if you want to scratch save some money and go for the cdj 1000 ...

if you don't want to scratch don't hesitate and buy the cd 200 I think it's even better than the cdj 1000 (the jogwheel is smaller and more precise imo)

don't ever buy the cdj 800 ... you can scratch with it but the pitchresolution is only 0.5 % wich is a shame ...

Well, I would like to "mainly" spin psy trance, But I would like the scratch feature because I live in a fairly small town, and most people dont even like any sort of EDM. In order to get my name out at all I will have to bow down to society and play some things I would rather not AKA, rap/ hip-hop. I had no intenetions on scratching to psy, but I bet it can be done.

So, all agree that the quality of the pioneer CDJ-100 is superior to the Denon S1000's?

I want to do way more than just "mix" I want to add a shit ton of effects and pretty much recreate what the origional artist did. Plus I have converted to CD for the fact I cn now play my own produced stuff without getting vinyl pressed :D .

minus the scratch feature, Does the pioneers have more functions/effects?

Well, I would like to "mainly" spin psy trance, But I would like the scratch feature because I live in a fairly small town, and most people dont even like any sort of EDM.  In order to get my name out at all I will have to bow down to society and play some things I would rather not AKA, rap/ hip-hop.  I had no intenetions on scratching to psy, but I bet it can be done.

So, all agree that the quality of the pioneer CDJ-100 is superior to the Denon S1000's?

I want to do way more than just "mix" I want to add a shit ton of effects and pretty much recreate what the origional artist did.  Plus I have converted to CD for the fact I cn now play my own produced stuff without getting vinyl pressed  :D .

minus the scratch feature, Does the pioneers have more functions/effects?

656803[/snapback]

the cdj 1000 doesn't have any soundeffects .... you should use the pioneer djm 600-800 for that ...

it does feature :

-looping (wich actually is useless since you can not make a seamless loop) I know it is presented as seamless but I never managed to make one ... don't ask me why it's too difficult to explain in english....

-mutiple cue points

-reads/spin every mp3 (on the cdj 200 you can not dj with vb rate mp3)

-pitch till 100%

-reverse playback

I don't know much about the denons only that if you have to spin on a gig they always rent pioneers over here ... Don't know the situation at you place

btw the cdj 200 does have 3 soundeffects (zip, wah jet)

well as far as I know Pioneer has the best anti-skip technology. THats pretty important, especially with psytrance. Plus all those effects kinda clutter the interface.

Maybe Pioneers last longer as well? I dont know, Ive only had Pioneers.

ive got the cdj-100s's and Im happy with them, regardless of pitch percentages or whatever. Lepton: You're actually the first person Ive ever heard say anything bad about the cdj-100. At least its got a jogwheel, some of those cheapass packages (GEmini Im lookin at you) dont even have that. :ph34r:

I still dont see how the Pioneer outweighs the Denons.  Is the quality better?  Better sound?  The denons have more effects.  plus they have brake and reverse fuctions.  Every where I turn to people say get teh Pioneers, but why?

656835[/snapback]

I have no idea why pioneer is used more frequently that denons ... Maybe because they are easier to use I don't know ... All I know is that back in the cdj 100 days those denons were way better than the pioneers only not that friendly to use ....

But as far as I know denons is a quality poduct ... I never bought them cuz you won't find them on parties and I prefer to practice on the same gear as when I have to play

well as far as I know Pioneer has the best anti-skip technology.  THats pretty important, especially with psytrance.  Plus all those effects kinda clutter the interface. 

Maybe Pioneers last longer as well?  I dont know, Ive only had Pioneers. 

ive got the cdj-100s's and Im happy with them, regardless of pitch percentages or whatever.  Lepton:  You're actually the first person Ive ever heard say anything bad about the cdj-100.  At least its got a jogwheel, some of those cheapass packages (GEmini Im lookin at you) dont even have that.  :ph34r:

656837[/snapback]

I'm not :) Be honest 0.1% is a total rip off ... and don't tell it's not ... And the jogwheel sucks

They only reason why I use 1 gemini is because it is cheap and has pitchbend buttons wich beats any jogwheel ... I think it's physically impossible to correct with a jogwheel as fast as you can with pitchbend buttons ... Too bad gemini's are so crappy they breake down very fast ....

and that is actually the only drawback on pioneers ... the lack of pitchbend buttons ... wich is a total shame ...

Ive only used pioneers and once one of those Numark all-in-one things (mixer and 2 cdplayers in a box :angry: those are crap) The cue and jogwheel on the Numark made me eager to return to the Pioneer.

Someday Im gonna have a pair of cdj-1000's.... someday....

Be honest 0.1% is a total rip off ... and don't tell it's not ... And the jogwheel sucks

They only reason why I use 1 gemini is because it is cheap and has pitchbend buttons wich beats any jogwheel ... I think it's physically impossible to correct with a jogwheel as fast as you can with pitchbend buttons ... Too bad gemini's are so crappy they breake down very fast ....

and that is actually the only drawback on pioneers ... the lack of pitchbend buttons ... wich is a total shame ...

0.1 % accuracy is enough to make a decent mix. sure its nicer if its 0.02 % or better.. but if you cant mix on 0.1 %.. go and practice..

pitchbend buttons or jogwheel.. i prefer the jogwheel but its obvious now its a matter of personal preference what you like.

i also like the fact most players are topdecks instead of rackdecks. its alot better for your back if its a topdeck :P

I think it shouldnt really matter what you play on. as a dj you should be able to play on anything. Although most dj's will be happier campers if they have good gear :lol:

Well, I went with the Denons for versatility. And I got a Mixer with 7 effects + vocoder. It has kill buttons for bass mid and treble, so when you really dont wanna fade em just click the button.

Already got offered a small town radio show :).

Thanks for everyones help. Glad to see people helping noobs in the field.

0.1 % accuracy is enough to make a decent mix. sure its nicer if its 0.02 % or better.. but if you cant mix on 0.1 %.. go and practice..

pitchbend buttons or jogwheel..  i prefer the jogwheel but its obvious now its a matter of personal preference what you like.

i also like the fact most players are topdecks instead of rackdecks. its alot better for your back if its a topdeck  :P

I think it shouldnt really matter what you play on. as a dj you should be able to play on anything. Although most dj's will be happier campers if they have good gear  :lol:

656918[/snapback]

endless discussion ...

Only thing I know ... Is that over the years I 've seen only 3-5 ppl who could play really tight with those cdj 100 (I was not 1 of them) ... But I know 50 dj's who think they mix allright till you record the mix and listen to it on a home stereosystem ... I go out allmost every weekend to listen to other psytrance dj's who one by one prove my point about tight mixing ...

it's a bitch to mix tightly with the cdj 100 ... If you deny this than you are either very talented or your ears are not trained well enough ....

:)

... has pitchbend buttons wich beats any jogwheel ... I think it's physically impossible to correct with a jogwheel as fast as you can with pitchbend buttons ...

word !

i'm going to send an email to Pioneer that they MUST add pitchbend buttons too on their next model !!

on the cdj 300? let's hope :P

btw : denons have pitchbend buttons ànd jogwheels... :)