Eskimo - Balloonatic Part 2 (Phantasm Records)

Guy Cohen

Eskimo - Balloonatic Part 2 (Phantasm Records)

Posted Image

1) READY TO ROCK 144

And..we're off! A trademark, patented Eskimo spooky harp riff kicks things off as a dirty ass melody spirals up to meet the kick on the bassline, building & building around weaving synths, spiked electronic breakbeats and clattering percussion "I-am-ready-to-ROCK!! as the Beastie boys say...

2) MY KIND OF MUSIC 145

A skewered indian vocal melody, gated beyond recognition ushers in a tough, bass driven 303 workout, with huge rises that wash over a typically - for Eskimo - spiky yet catchy melody. "We have no choice but to keep moving"...

3) ARE YOU SERIOUS? 146

Things are starting to get serious now as an absolute classic slice of Eskimo hits the airwaves, RU Serious? is a masterclass in mutation, injecting the spirit of psychedelia into a re-construction of a hard house classic from back in the day, a genre busting floor filler equally at home on the beaches of Brazil or the main room at the Ministry Of Sound..

4) ESCAPE THE UK 145

staying on the hard dance tip, "Escape" is a hard as f*ck metallic stomper... Swarming synths rise and fall and dissolve from the fiercest melodies in to the sweetest pads and back within the space of a few seconds... With a huge, building rise punctuated by the kind of off-footing bleeps & ticks that Eskimo has made his own, this is what the most adventurous of dj's out there will use to conquer the floor...

5) SEX-A-HOLIC 143

A bittersweet, hallucinogenic backwards refrain heralds the arrival of a rock solid kick & bass combination before a robotised yet soulful vocal bursts out of the speakers.. and then things really hot up and the track burns its way through a series of crescendos and breaks like a hot knife thru butter... No-one else out there is marrying styles together as successfully as this, while still managing to fill the floor with frenzied dancers.. THIS IS THE REAL DEAL!

6) STAY WHERE YOU ARE! 144

An achingly beautiful yet tense melody opens this stormer before the beats kick in & all hell breaks loose, featuring a mutoid gunslinger cut up rock 'n' roll guitar break, this is the sound you would get if you threw Altern 8, the KLF and AC/DC into a blender with about 4 grams of speed..

7) CARNIVALIUM 146

Carnival music for the hallucination generation - a spellbinding concoction that somehow splices balls to the wall distorted acid riffs with good time Mexican fiesta music so skillfully that you cant see the join, only revel in the unique surging, powerhouse hybrid that it creates. On an album as good as this its almost impossible to say that any one track stands head and shoulders above the others but this one of a kind masterpiece certainly achieves it..

8) HAPPY LEPSIA RMX 145

The Pixel original classic of last year burned itself into the consciousness of the party massive, and this Eskimo take on things unbelievably wrings even more energy out of this powerhouse tune, dirtying it up and making the vocal rant even more venomous. The sound of civilization breaking down... and nobody cares... A protest song for the 21st century

9) RADIO SUCKS 148

Warm, evolving strings, sweet but with a menacing edge preface another slice of Eskimo mayhem. A breakneck rocker that, in typically perverse Eskimo style speeds & slows by turns, sometimes sounding as if its grinding to a halt before shaking itself off and making a dash for the stratosphere, while giving voice to yet another vicious rant about the "chart-topping, teeny bopping horse shit on the radio"..

10) TIME TO GET SERIOUS 145

Almost impossibly, the album goes out on a high, as Time to get Serious, with 8 bit classic Streetfighter 2 soundbites puncturing its every turn takes the listener on an amphetamine rush of a journey.. Think of watching Apocalypse Now! on mescalin, in a sports bar owned by Hunter S. Thompson, downing rounds of tequila slammers with yer mates to get an idea of the feel of this monster evocation of the joys of arcade gaming... FINAL ROUND!

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ptm/ptm1cd159.html

anyone else has the impression it's a promo text, just paragraphed to describe individual tracks? and how come his english got so good all of a sudden? I can't understand half of the words he used...

:unsure:

besides, the review seems too positive for this site, considering the general consensus amongst forumers regarding Eskimo's work, so it should be removed ;):D

"Almost impossibly, the album goes out on a high"

this sounds like the album was so crap that it is impossible to believe that the last track couldn't be shit. At least to me!

• 1 month later...

does anybody ACTUALLY know how this album is?

649788[/snapback]

I own it and, at the risk of ruining whatever little reputation I may have here, I will admit I actually rather enjoy it. Then again I seem to enjoy a lot of music that somehow isn't cool to enjoy so I guess all you can do is listen with an open mind and decide for yourself.

I own it and, at the risk of ruining whatever little reputation I may have here, I will admit I actually rather enjoy it. Then again I seem to enjoy a lot of music that somehow isn't cool to enjoy so I guess all you can do is listen with an open mind and decide for yourself.

651323[/snapback]

I didnt enjoy it because I think its good, but I am amazed by the production of this album though :) Good work... but definetly not my cup o tea :)

anyone else has the impression it's a promo text, just paragraphed to describe individual tracks? and how come his english got so good all of a sudden? I can't understand half of the words he used...

Yes, GC didn't write it, that much is for sure.

shity full on, generic trance, wuteva.

well produced album, to me this is blastin musik, it can make me dance anyday. awesome talent, fun album, bunch of tracks are dancefloor material.

eskimo blastz dancefloors all ova!!

peace.

yea! the kid keeps gettin better every year so he will probably impress U. and uhh gutty is it? the fact that something is not "your style" and that YOU dont like it, doesnt mean it SUCKS! and that it deserves to be called SHIT, cuzzzzzz u kno the guy is big, people do pay to see him and people really! fuckin dance at his parties, so maybe HE doesnt suck, but anyway i respect ur opinion, u dont like it thats fine, have it ur way, i dont give. and im not 12, im 20. being 12 has nothing to do with havin bad taste on music, when i was 12 and i listened to mozart and learned about classical music, how being called 12 can be offensive to me?... what did u hear when u were 12? huh?.....

peace.

• 2 months later...