Live, Live Live or Live Live Live?

mikelogic303

I propose a new standard for describing a "Live Set". How about:

Live:

Entire set mixed before in studio, replayed from harddisc, DAT, mini-disc etc.. Artists stand behind large mixing console and pretend to tweak levels or turn knobs live. That's great guys, we pay good money to watch you play with your knobs.

Live Live:

Tracks prepared before but mixing between tracks done live. Actually less work than a DJ does. Why not just burn a couple of audio CD's and save on haulling all that fancy equipment around? Well I guess that would look too "cheap".

"Got to show off all that expensive gear. It don't matter, they don't realise we're not actually using it. No no, use the BIGGER mixing desk, yeah the 32 channel. Sorted."

Live Live Live:

Some parts actually played live. By hand, like a musician. You know, using those little black and white keys. Oh wait, that would require effort and dicipline.

"They're partying, why can't we?"

Or do you think that the current idea of "Live Set" actually lives up to the name? If you paid to see say, an orchestra and you turned up to the gig to find a computer doing playback and 30 or 40 people playing "air violin", you'd be pretty disappointed, right?

Guest Elysium

Live:

Entire set mixed before in studio, replayed from harddisc, DAT, mini-disc etc.. Artists stand behind large mixing console and pretend to tweak levels or turn knobs live.

It's "playback" as it is in any other music genre when an artist dont play live or only sing on top of pre-recorded music. "Playback" is the right description and it should be written on the flyers ;)

Live Live:

Tracks prepared before but mixing between tracks done live. Actually less work than a DJ does.

Maybe call it "semi live" or "semi playback"? :)

Live Live Live:

Some parts actually played live. By hand, like a musician. You know, using those little black and white keys. Oh wait, that would require effort and dicipline.

I guess this come as close to live as almost possible when you deal with electronic music with multiple complex layers. So it could be allowed to be called "live" I guess.

oh yes, mostly the "live set" of nowadays is just the artist making an appearance and the pressing of some knobs...

sad

but then again it's necessary to pre-master sets or parts of them in advance in the studio or wherever because first the sounds will be more polished and well arranged (and not in the stress (and drunken-/stonedness) of a party) and second it's never possible for one or two persons alone to do EVERYTHING live simultaneously.

the best artists are those who pre-master partly, but still keep enough room for live playing around and stuff, making the whole thing a good, playful, fresh experience...

at least a proper live should be done with a mixed cd (ok so far) and play some special parts live (melodies) or even tweak some knobs as live parts , thats what makes a live intersting , the more u do live the better , i improvise a lot of times , specially melodies and such. i pratice some stuff before i go into the stage. of course that its impossible to make an whole song like since there is tons of layers to play at the same time , but at least its always nice to make something LIVE. :)

Seen a few live PA shows in my time. I'm not sure on the terminology but at these shows the artists were creating new (looooooooooong) tracks out of samples on their machines. Some of it was really good & always sounded quite original.

I've seen a spectrum of live electronic stuff in my time and I really appreciate when an artist doesn't fake anything, like with excessive knob tweaking. I'd take just flat out DJing over that anyday. Mira Calix would roll cigarettes and smoke them between her tracks, played on CDJs, with an occasional knob tweak. I respected that. She wasn't faking it.

Mira Calix would roll cigarettes and smoke them between her tracks, played on CDJs, with an occasional knob tweak. I respected that. She wasn't faking it.

590496[/snapback]

I saw her live, she had a couple of guys in masks ironing in front of her while she played records. No idea what that was all about.

well, with non-electronic music I prefer when Isee a band that the versions of songs played live are not the same as the album...

I would prefer that with electronic too..

I know I would never play a song the same twice live if I ever was to perform...

I saw her live, she had a couple of guys in masks ironing in front of her while she played records. No idea what that was all about.

590500[/snapback]

Are you serious? I saw her twice and never saw guys ironing. Seriously? Noooo, I don't believe you. If it's true maybe that's her British troupe that Warp can't afford to send over to the States.

I absolutely give no shit about live situation

If I wanted to WATCH live musicians I would choose a rock or classical concert

One of the first reasons I got hooked in this genre and its parties many years back

was the lack of stage and shows and so called virtuosos PERFORMING

I dont want that, that makes you an AUDIENCE, who is there to be ENTERTAINED

but that is not this was about, there is MUSIC coming out of speakers uninterruptedly without any ego shows, and I, as the party goer and the dj as the player are all adding up together much nearly equally to the party itself. That is why i look for venues and the organisers as much as I look for the names of the dj s on flyers, because that creates or chooses its congregation which is as much as if not more important than the dj s.

So this live that live fuck it, this music has no origins like that, I remember interstellar parties on walkmans and MD players ffs.

I absolutely give no shit about live situation

If I wanted to WATCH live musicians I would choose a rock or classical concert

One of the first reasons I got hooked in this genre and its parties many years back

was the lack of stage and shows and so called virtuosos PERFORMING

I dont want that, that makes you an AUDIENCE, who is there to be ENTERTAINED

but that is not this was about, there is MUSIC coming out of speakers uninterruptedly without any ego shows, and I, as the party goer and the dj as the player are all adding up together much nearly equally to the party itself. That is why i look for venues and the organisers as much as I look for the names of the dj s on flyers, because that creates or chooses its congregation which is as much as if not more important than the dj s.

So this live that live fuck it, this music has no origins like that, I remember interstellar parties on walkmans and MD players ffs.

590670[/snapback]

I completely agree with you brujo, but one thing..... Since they charge me prices like 30e to see an international act that is supposed to play "live", i expect to see at least an efford....not a full live of course cause that it would have been impossible, but at least a fucking efford....!!.

Then that means you re looking for something else now

If you pay 30e and look for an effort

Cause I prefer as much as I can

not to pay, go to a FREE PARTY (in every sense of the word)

I dont look for a physical effort but, bunch of freaks dancing together on psychedelics, make these psychedelics the music or the drugs whatever...

this is the case according to me, people want big festivals and inernational dj s, good distribution, this and that but to make that you need a lot of money, then they complain things becomming commercial, of course it does, that is what you re looking for and creating

There is still a free party scene with all kinds of psychedelic goa trance music, and i tend to live no commercial shit down there...

Thing have changes so are the things people look for...