IDM

abasio

Amazing artist though i can't really label him as an IDM artist, for me he only continues where BT stopped and moved to cheese. Very simple structures and sound yet very sweet melodies.

584111[/snapback]

IDM or not I really enjoyed that album :D & the Kettel album too was great!

Autechre I found quite boring on 1st listen. Nothing really caught my attention & I found myself inclined to leave the room & tidy up. When listening to the Kettel & Ulrich Schnauss albums I was engrossed in the music :D:D:D

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the new Kettel is really wonderful :) I can't stop listening to it :D I love how it feels like a rollercoaster ride with uptempo tracks and the ambient ones and he has really put more effort in his drum programming + the melodies are great as always B)

Autechre I found quite boring on 1st listen. Nothing really caught my attention & I found myself inclined to leave the room & tidy up.

584148[/snapback]

I reckon Tri Repetae is overrated, it has a couple of great tracks (the ambient ones, stud and overand) but on the whole it's their weakest album to my mind. I think it was kind of a transitional album they made as they were changing from ambient to more noisy stuff, and the result is kind of half-arsed.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Today I bought

Ulrich Schnauss - Far Away Trains Passing By (2CD)

Posted Image

Just listened to the 1st CD which was very nice

Kettel - My Dogan

Posted Image

Which I am listening to now & has started off very cool indeed.

&

Autechre - Tri Repetae++

Posted Image

584097[/snapback]

Great choices! Schnauss' first album really impressed me. I especially like Blumenwiese Neben Autobahn and Molfsee. His second album, A Strangely Isolated Place, is also very good, more mature, and really shot him into popularity.

I haven't heard but samples from My Dogan, but I've heard a lot of Kettel's stuff and he's a fantasticly diverse artist with a pretty extensive output. If you like Kettel you'll really enjoy Plaid, especially the earlier stuff like Not For Threes and Rest Proof Clockwork.

I also agree that Tri Repetae is overrated, with only a few outstanding tracks, but what somewhat makes up for it is disk 2, the Anvil Vapre EP, which has got some real gems on it. I still agree that Chiastic Slide, Envane EP and Cichlisuite are better choices. An acquired taste, for sure. If it's too harsh, try Arovane, who in my opinion does this sort of thing with more emotive punch (especially the albums Atol Scrap and Icol Diston).

btw End - Science/Fiction  new album is really nice :)

IDM with a dark ambient edge to it.

585397[/snapback]

That sounds like something I might like. Dark ambient has always been difficult for me. Some stuff I really like & some stuff I hate. But a dark ambient edge might be more to my liking :)

I don't like the abstract, noisy, cold, soulless, 'who can make the weirdest sounds, rhythms and random melodies' type of IDM.

Ulrich Schnauss however is awesome (has nothing to do with the music I described above)...

586311[/snapback]

I heard that ulrich schnauss album, very few IDM elements in my opinion..

I usually don't like the TOO noisy and random/experimental IDM just for the sake of it, I do like some more experimental breaks stuff though [e.g Richard Devine]...

oh, and check Flint Glass' 2 albums too... Nice blend consisting of IDM/Dark Ambient and some Industrial too[no vocals... :)]

• 3 weeks later...

I bought another kettle album today, Through Friendly waters which is good apart from the beats on a couple of tracks makes it sound like the CD is skipping which slightly spoils it.

I also bought Secede - Tryshasla which is just great, I'd recommend that :)

I bought another kettle album today, Through Friendly waters which is good apart from the beats on a couple of tracks makes it sound like the CD is skipping which slightly spoils it.

I also bought Secede - Tryshasla which is just great, I'd recommend that  :)

597914[/snapback]

If you're on a Sending Orbs kick, also look into the Yagya album as well as Funckarma. And if you like the latter, there's a really nice remix CD of their work called Refurbished that has some great artists on it, which might lead you to more good IDM. :D

IDM stands for "Intelligent Dance Music", which is sort of silly, but the good stuff backs up the awkward title. I prefer the term "Braindance". It started back in the early nineties and was pioneered by the Rephlex and Warp labels, both of which are still releasing music.

583496[/snapback]

Braindance...that's brilliant! For me, it's definetly more of a psychological kinesis than it is physical. Although a few Aphex tracks got me moving. "Vordshbn", I think it's spelled, always makes me move. It has an offbeat syncopation that I fell in love with the first time I listened.

Braindance...that's brilliant! For me, it's definetly more of a psychological kinesis than it is physical. Although a few Aphex tracks got me moving. "Vordshbn", I think it's spelled, always makes me move. It has an offbeat syncopation that I fell in love with the first time I listened.

598062[/snapback]

I usually detest Aphex Twin's music, but I've also fallen deeply in love with two of his tracks: Alberto Balsalm and Rhubarb. The first was given to me on a compilation by an old Psynews friend. The second I heard in one of the Salad Fingers movies, and wish I had the full thing.

sweet topic! let me add a couple of recommendations myself,

n5MD is a label releasing quality IDM music, you could start from:

Spark - The Robotic Girl Next Door, 2002 (a bit simple but very melodic IDM)

Run_Return - Metro North, 2005 (IDM played by a ...band! Drums, percussion, acoustic and electric guitar, bass, cello, piano, vibraphone, synthesizers and other little thingies. It has a retro feeling mainly beause of its synths)

Also, I would recommend the compilation

Everything is Green, 2004

as essential!! This is for me one of the best IDM compilations in a looong time, and one of the very best of Toytronic's impressive catalog.

If you're on a Sending Orbs kick, also look into the Yagya album as well as Funckarma. And if you like the latter, there's a really nice remix CD of their work called Refurbished that has some great artists on it, which might lead you to more good IDM.  :D

597932[/snapback]

I've seen the Yagya album everywhere I go. It looks very... pink! I didn't know how it would sound & the pinkness turned me off a bit (I still quite fancied it but still not 20 odd euros worth) but if it's good I'll look out for it cheap :D

I'll look out for that remix album too, looks to be quite good.

sweet topic! let me add a couple of recommendations myself,

Spark - The Robotic Girl Next Door, 2002 (a bit simple but very melodic IDM)

598075[/snapback]

Such a fantastic title! I want it just for that!

too much!!!

aaargh where to begin??? :(

598171[/snapback]

How about at what you like the most?

Also, I would recommend the compilation

Everything is Green, 2004

as essential!! This is for me one of the best IDM compilations in a looong time, and one of the very best of Toytronic's impressive catalog.

598075[/snapback]

Thats probably the best IDM comp i've heard,did well when asked you that time.

Toytronic ... besides Abfahrt Hinwil,im very impressed by Ochre and Loess' 3D concepts Part 2.

Oh and another gem by Ochre,released in another label

http://www.discogs.com/release/728110

How about at what you like the most?

598175[/snapback]

Huh?

that's the problem I don't know what I'm gonna like the most

and I can't check them all since I don't download music....

Huh?

that's the problem I don't know what I'm gonna like the most

and I can't check them all since I don't download music....

598248[/snapback]

So tell us what you like the most from that which you have bought!

So tell us what you like the most from that which you have bought!

598253[/snapback]

that's the problem I havn't bought any IDM yet (altough I am familiar with afex twin, whom I like very much and autechre)

I would be looking for melodic/ambient/idm....any recomendations? :rolleyes:

Thats probably the best IDM comp i've heard,did well when asked you that time.

Toytronic ... besides Abfahrt Hinwil,im very impressed by Ochre and Loess' 3D concepts Part 2.

Oh and another gem by Ochre,released in another label

http://www.discogs.com/release/728110

598185[/snapback]

I'm a fan of that compilation, too. The first Toytronic compilation, Neurokinetik, is also very good.

And yeah, the latest Ochre is very sweet indeed.

that's the problem I havn't bought any IDM yet (altough I am familiar with afex twin, whom I like very much and autechre)

I would be looking for melodic/ambient/idm....any recomendations? :rolleyes:

598266[/snapback]

Not bought much myself yet but from what I've got so far I can recommend

Kettel - My Dogan

Through Friendly waters

Volleyed Iron

Secede - Tryshasla

Ulrich Schnauss - Far Away Trains Passing By.