Post your questions for Mubali .. here. :)

moni

Hello psygang,

As you have expressed your interest towards Mubali in my previous thread, I e-mailed him and he was so nice as to reply my message promptly. I asked him for an interview, and he gladly accepted.

Now please post your questions for him, and I will add mine, and get the interview on the roll.

:)

nice!

ask him what his goal is whenever he creates a track, what is he striving for

...how he sees himself evolve in the future, or what directions he might take

...with which artists he'd like to cooperate, in so far he hasn't already

...and what colour his undies are, of course <_<

yeah, and how does he qualify his music and how he thinks others see it ( Forest :) or Industrial etc)

and about the use of satanic symbolics in dark trance :)

and if he is into some particular religion

Ahhh Mubali!!! What a great choice, he is such a nice guy...and makes some really good music :)

....I would ask him first a bit about the psytrance scene out in san francisco, as they have an ever growing number of producers and labels based there...

...I know he also plays/used to play the viola...so maybe ask him a bit about that...

...and finally, as i know he is headed to new york city for the first time to play a loft party next weekend, maybe ask him about his recent experiences in new york (depending on when you plan to do the interview of course...)

• 5 months later...

any progress on this? :)

641301[/snapback]

No, I appologise in this case. I'm ashamed of myself, but i didn't get a chance to listen to Mubali's last release. I need to do that before doing an interview.

I haven't had time for anything this year, except for few samples here and there.

• 6 years later...

I realize this is years too late, but I'd be happy to answer these questions....
When I create a song, it's usually in response to a feeling or emotion or idea that had been rattling around in my head. Sometimes it's simply just wanting to make a song different from the previous one. I'd like to think that my sound continues to naturally evolve based upon the influences around, but over the past few years I've been finding myself becoming nostalgic of how night-time trance was between 2001-2005. I feel that a lot of music has become out of my tempo range, and while I could just conform and make 160+ music, I enjoy that 145-152 range and think that it should still be represented by sounds other than full-on.

I've been very fortunate over the years to have worked with some amazing artists and I can safely say that each one I worked with taught me something that I incorporate into my solo tunes. Nowadays, I still enjoy making tunes with other artists, but find myself starting projects with people I have not worked with previously less frequently. On a related note, I finally am working on a tune with Ghreg on Earth, and that's been years in the making.

As far as undies go, brown just like my ass :)
What to do on a hot summer day? Drink beer of course!

As Colin mentions, what key would I like my music to be in... hehehe. I do admit that I was not really using music theory well if at all at the onset of my production, going mainly on feel and C major. (or modes thereof) Currently, I still am a fan of the lower notes C-F#. I do have some tunes in a higher key, but some might notice that a majority of those ones are a bit faster than a lot of tunes that are in C or D major.
Rah had asked about me incorporating more D&B structures into my stuff as I was intending back in 2006, I guess I feel victim to the general consensus of keeping the structure based more on psychedelic trance, and less on the traditional structure that occurs not just in Drum and Bass, but also in many mainstream forms of dance music. I do like to use drum and bass oriented rhythms, and even have some big bass sounds like the sounds used in my song "Contraption", but with how pervasive dubstep has become, I feared being labeled a sell-out.
As far as the "death prog" goes, if I actually had gotten off my ass and done it I might have been on the ground floor of something. However each time I try to go down that road, I end up losing interest in the track and starting a 148 tune shortly thereafter.

Blaze asked me how I qualify my music, and I've always called it the same since I started. Nighttime Psychedelic Trance. For me any other labels beyond that only limit my sound. I've always liked riding that line between groovy/dancy and hard as nails. Currently, many people place me in the forest music category, but that has a lot to do with the fact that I had always had an affinity for Parvati Records, and now I am part of their family. I do admit that my music generally isn't the best for the morning hours unless it's in context to a crazy night, however labeling it as just "dark" is not accurate for the emotions I attempt to convey.

While the satanic image thing was definitely a hot button item in 2006, I can compare it to the Horror Film genre. There are some individuals who use macabre imagery to tell a deep story, however there are many that just want that cheezy 80's slasher flick feel in the attempt to shock individuals. Personally, I like a deep story over cheap gimmicks any day of the week. But that brings another thing to mind about the image of the psychedelic trance scene. I don't see the use in hyperspirituality being emphasized in the music. I think that air of pseudo spirituality only creates this elitist image associated with the metaphysical culture. Now most of my viewpoint is exaggerated by the overwhelming presence of pseudo-hippies in America and especially the San Francisco area. I find it funny that one of the things that made me gravitate toward the scene is also one of the things that I now don't seem to find relevant. I fled from the SF drum and bass scene because I did not like the overall attitude of a lot of party goers, and found that those events could be quite cliquish and excluding. Psychedelic trance parties and attendants seemed to be "more mature" than the crowd that I was used to and it seemed that everyone was very welcoming. Over the years I find that elitism is prominent anywhere you go, and I even became a bit elitist over the years too. As far as religion goes, I really have none. Just a code of ethics that I do my best to follow.
Dajek's cheeky comment is kind of funny, so I'll answer it as best I can. In 2006, I had about 8 hours of music that I had done and even did a private performance in NYC for 2 people playing all the tunes I wrote and explaining the history behind each song. As listening to it and living.... I primarily write the music I do because I enjoy it. I tend to enjoy my songs more than other individuals, hence why I would create it.

As far as what I am up to now, not really that much musicwise. I became a father 6 weeks ago, so I'm devoting myself to my son, and working on sampling him for sound ideas :)

Couldn't agree more with you Mubali on your views of pseudo spirituality and elitism in the genre, they appealed to me many years ago and now i found they detract from the production and enjoyment of great quality trance music.