Guest Tequila

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shesh_nag[at]hotmail[dot]com

Try getting Chi-A.D. - MONSTERS !!

Exactly the same mystical feeling as this whole genius album!!

• 4 years later...

Chi-A.D. showcases some of the deepest, most spiritual and imaginative Goa ever thanks to this superior sequel to Virtual Spirit > Anno Domini is a masterpiece that resonates on deeper, more expansive, and higher levels of consciousness. This is the stuff we talk about. Legendary deepness that's authentic. Moreso than most people will ever grasp on initial repeat listens or on the surface. 

There is something dreamlike about the self-titled opening track ANNO DOMINI and FLAME OF ETERNAL LIFE.

Tracks like PATHFINDER and SHADOW SPIRIT are powerful in different ways.

I love the surreal, dreamlike, other-worldly, fantasy sound of this album. This is a superb, mature album that requires a more open/expansive mind and consciousness I feel in order to truly appreciate and lose yourself in its extra dimensional intentions, gateways, etc.

Anno Domini is one of my favorite goatrance albums ever. I have to listen to this at night... in the right mood. Allow your mind to fall into a meditative place rather than focusing too hard via third dimensional energy which this album is not (entirely) not IMO.

Also, I would suggest listening to this album with good headphones by yourself with the lights off. Breath through thoughts, letting them go, and let the music swirl around in your mind. This is one of the few albums that put me in the zone, total trance without any use of anything. I have had amazing dreamlike visuals as if I'm remote viewing other dimensions and/or our apparent inner Earth inside our Earth??!! (blues, greens, subterranean higher/expansive conscious areas/crystals that illuminate the dark). Beyond words

It's amazing how ones perspective can change. I thought I was so sure of what I once knew. It only proves how important it is to stay open minded. Our beliefs can so easily expand or limit our consciousness, minds, experiences, and lives. Anno Domini expands beyond rudimentary third density consciousness for those ready to swallow the red pill and awaken, process, expand, and re-reawaken to the Flame of Eternal Life.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Verry verry atmospheric and melodic album with long beautifull intros...i love their sound!!!In this disc you can discover a lot of mystic points!!!

Well this album has a story for me...before some years, a good ex girlfriend had given this album to me!!!! :)

Respect to Chi-A.D...

• 11 months later...

CHI-A.D. - ANNO DOMINI
NOVA TEKK RECORDS

Track list:
01. 10'51" Anno Domini
02. 10'14" The Flame Of Eternal Life
03. 12'27" Pathfinder
04. 10'04" Moonart
05. 13'08" Shadow Spirit
06. 09'18" Myopic Utopia
07. 11'26" Redivider

I just listened to this album for the first time in around five years and it doesn't sound the same from how I remember it. Sometimes this happens to me with Goa music for some reason. The tracks sound different when I leave and return years later. It's like hearing an album for the first time all over again in a different light. In this case, Anno Domini to me sounds better, so deep, otherworldly, and enchanting. It takes me deeper, further than almost if not EVERY Goa album I have ever heard. I cannot think of another album where I have this association this strong.

1. Anno Domini is a wonderful dreamscape centerpiece in deep meditative spirit from around the fifth minute forward. It takes sometime to capture its dynamic melody lead, that comes across more like a wave of melodies as opposed to one leading melody. This is a celebral, artistic, elegant, relaxed, and emotive number to shut the eyes to. The song will likely affect the listener when he/she least expects it. Again, try not to follow the sounds or any individual melody too much. This is one of the most ambitious and beautiful songs by Chi A.D., but if you look too hard you'll miss the beauty of the ocean. My only gripe is the first seveal minutes, after the interesting intro appear a little less focused than the rest of the song that follows. In other words, many ideas seem running rampant without elegant direction, congruent, until the song captures its essence and forms a golden path around half way through.  A

2. The Flame Of Eternal Life is a beautiful, developing, celestial epic in Goa trance. The female voice is wonderful, memorable. The song builds into an adventure across space and light.  A

3. Path Finder is a stomping excursion into darkness while leaving a dreamy light in tact. This is a fresh and rare dark Goa epic, noted for its relentless driving beat, baseline, and rhythm combined with emotive, ethnic sounds and vocals. It's a bit repetitive in concept but the melodies change up and the ethnic voices create a warm atmosphere amongst the relenteless aggression. Catchy and original in Goa? Yes. This has few few characteristics that place it as a Goa track, hence the controversy when it first released. I like the artist's choice to do something different and going against the Goa grain, whether he intended it or not in the time. But the song rattles my consciousness more than it caresses it. I prefer the other more elegant, dreamlike tracks around this one, yet I clearly find this one of the hardest hitting Psy/Goa songs out there.  A

4. Moonart is an aggressive and lush follow up to the opening two more celestial Goa pieces. Beautiful melody/sound work combined with liquid flow make this one of the most light/heart-filled numbers on the album. The melody shift towards the end of the first third, and the interlude, the emotive evolution towards the center of the song is beautiful. Melody composition is awesome throughout, continuously changing, developing, and evolving in wonderful ways.  A

5. Shadow Spirit is a very unexpected, rich and darkly tribal journey. Melodies ring out as if being played in a cathedral, but the song is very Indian Eastern influenced and seems more absorbed with nature and man, and the evil things that man is capable of. This is an exceptionally well done, thought provoking and emotive work of art.  A

6. Myopic Utopia has a very atmospheric smokey and industrial sounding opening. The first several minutes are dark and driving. Around 1:52 raises in volume a catchy melody, more prominent around 2:20. It plays to the driving kick and atmosphere extremely well, complimented by other melodies and industrial sounds. The overall rhythm and form changes up and the song remains compelling. But the four note melody makes the song feel more repetitive as it progresses. A fresh idea is manifested around 5:10, after an interesting, breezy interlude. Around 5:38 returns the song to high gear, both driving and more aggressive or dark, without the several piece melody. However, it soon returns and at this point, overstays its welcome in my opinion. That is, until the music style or form shifts again at 8:02, a very smart manuver by the artist. I would have probably removed the four note melody lead to make the track feel less emphasized on a looping sound towards the second half of the song, but that's me. Overall this is a very strong number with some excellent ideas and execution, flow.  A-

7. Redivider is unique and catchy, and I don't think people have given it the credit it deserves for being a solid closing track. It tries some novel, albeit more subtle approaches with voices and melody work, but it tends to stand out less compared to previous tracks. It's the least memorable track on the album, in my opinion, but it's still a good song with elements of greatness.  B+ /  A-

CONCLUSON

I love this artist and album. Those who are meant to come across this, appreciate, and enjoy to any degree will. More aware people and those who put energy "out there" to become more aware, spiritually, attract more spiritually aware energy in return, such as this wonderful album. The intro's are intriguing, imaginative, and lengthy. The numbers are really for those who love "listening" to music, not just using the beat as a kick to dance to. The songs have a celestial meets aggressive tone to them at times that established a whole new way of looking at heavenly trance. The only noticeable weakness I can find is in the last two tracks, generally weaker or less character-driven than the previous five. The first five numbers are simply on a higher level of energy and infection in comparison. Anno Domini as an album is passionately produced and very interesting during the first two thirds in a less striking, more subtle way. I'm very impressed with the creativity invested in this follow up. It's just a big improvement from 1997's Virtual Spirit. Chi-A.D. has an infectious, elaborate sound like no other artist. I would advise people to listen to the music with little to no distractions, while trying not to think. Just let the music play and it will work wonders on the senses when you least expect it. This album is a very passionate work of art. It's very mature, atmospheric, imaginative, tribal/ethnic influenced, and spiritual. I highly recommend this album for those who appreciate the deeper, more spiritual and metamorphic, extra dimensional RATHER THAN the typical, conventional Full On. This album dives and will take you as deep as you let it! A classic. Anno Domini is beautifully accomplishment, visionary, and realized, and showcases some of the strongest, most memorable tracks.

Favorite tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (yup, all of them)

A

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This album is very special to me. It brings me to places most other albums cannot.

It isn't about the amount of layers of melodies lapped over each other, but more about the primal, tribal trance-state it allows me to go into.

On the first few listens I didn't quite 'get it' but I knew something was different about this one.

If I had to bring one goa album with me to a desert island, it would be this one. Bold statement, I know, but it is very personal.

I had a very deep 'trip' listening to this album very early in the morning that no drug has ever brought me to. It was intensely spiritual.

I recommend this album if you are looking for something unique and spiritual. It isn't only goa trance to me, this is spiritual trance.

• 1 month later...

Dave using Fruityloops? I heard somewhere he used Logic..

Dave used Acid Pro to make up this album, I got this info from himself few years ago

cheers

• 9 months later...

Superb album, a wonderful progression of goa trance.

I could say that's Dave's most mature and innovating piece of art.

All tracks are great and deep...

The first track i listened from this album was Pathfinder in Green Chakra comp. and was blown away. It's a more like a sacred ritual.

Then next track was Moonart in GoaHead and realised it was something different and deep, although couldn't get into it from the beginning.

Also the remix of The Flame of Eternal Life is great and more massive.

One of my best albums ever.

Listen to the "Myopic Utopia / 01:07:99" EP as well, released the same year.

• 10 months later...

6kxXdJs.gif

Artist: Chi - A.D.
Title: Anno Domini
Label: Nova Tekk
Date: September, 1999

1. Anno Domini
2. The Flame of Eternal Life
3. Pathfinder
4. Moonart
5. Shadow Spirit
6. Myopic Utopia (A.D. Mix)
7. Redivider

"I cannot say for certain. Too long sometimes it consumes the very soul it's assigned to protect."

Since my wife is on the night shift it seems like I shall be spending the evening with Dave Young. This is the 2nd album from him and having really enjoyed Virtual Spirit I was floored by this masterpiece. The depth of this album is unfathomable The cosmic hypnotic style is ever present with 7 very long tracks that unravel slowly to illustrate their purpose. Beginning with the title track it quickly became one of my favorites. Space effects abound creating an atmosphere that sees colorful nebulae within your grasp. If the northern lights made a sound I think it would sound like this. Leads crackle with electric energy and the hair on my arms begins to stand up. It's spiritual in an other worldly sense and when that choir kicked in I swear I got chills. This is what music is supposed to do. Absolutely breathtaking. Epic.

I like that it takes its time. There is no hurry. A reviewer said this was spiritual trance and I agree. You don't dance to this. You experience it. After Anno Domini I'm thinking the only way you can go is down.

Wrong.

While The Flame of Eternal Life doesn't have the setup and vast tapestry of Anno Domini it has it's own method. The melodies really kick in at 3 and a half minutes and instantly you're rocketing past planets. The break is a window into the soul unlocking mysteries and I inhale deeply to become part of it. As it flows on there is the sense that you are in the presence of greatness. I cannot believe what I have just heard. Unbelievably smooth, cradled in the protective arms of knowledge.

The next track is a fence splitter. You either love it or hate it. I hated it for so long. But something happens in the wee hours of the morning when it's just you and the music.

It was as if the clouds parted and the light of understanding touched me. Tribal with a driving beat, I'm thinking what is this doing here. How dare you usurp the paradise with which I was entrenched. Yeah it's thunderous drums will shake you from your reverie, but the odd vocal chant is hypnotic in its own right. Ritualistic even. As if you're watching something no human has ever seen. Before long you are part of that ritual. Goa? Nah, but we're still making trance music right?

Moonart gets back to what got you here. A nice descriptive intro that soon has company. Did you hear the alien creature skitter across your headphones? I did. And I'm seeing things also. Ghosts. His scratchy-melodic synth phrases are so lush it makes me smile. Ultra hypnotic with a synth falling away and other short melodies as a far away chant brings it all together. I cannot get over how vast this is.

The sensations this album is giving are intense and the clarity of the dripping liquid against effects is almost too much to take. But that's what Shadow Spirit delivers, in a downtempo format that creeps along with his penchant for beating you over the head with samples. For some reason it works here though. The electric guitar riff also works giving a wink to Front Line Assembly. Little long? Maybe. Too much sample abuse? Absolutely. The placement at first glance seems a little odd, but when you hear the next track it will become clear how he wanted to set this whole thing up.

I feel he put Pathfinder and Shadow Spirit where he did to treat them like excursions on another world. Because with Myopic Utopia it's get back in the ship and time to blast off. The booming kick takes the adrenaline up another notch and the choir chant from the first track returns adding another layer to this effort. This is as driving as it gets as the wailing sounds of ghosts from civilizations past echo in the background.

Redivider has this bit of sunshine at the break that allows one a brief glimpse of a cherished memory before it's back to the cold touch of space. While not bad at all, it lacks the depth of the other tracks.

I don't normally write this much. But I couldn't help myself. I also try to inject humor in these things as well, but I couldn't do it with this album. The same reviewer who called this spiritual trance also said this was very personal to him. I agree and I understand. I've listened to so much music in my short life, but nothing...I repeat nothing has entranced me like this album. So vivid and emotional without being harsh or overbearing. IFO...classic. Alien Protein...classic. LSD...classic. Those were titanic power albums rich in psychedelia. You won't get run over or knocked out with concussive force with this album.

But it will move you. When Hollywood wants you to cry, they put music in a scene that will do that. I felt this was achingly beautiful and was as detailed as any film. How can you go back to new music after an experience like this? I hope he reads this and knows that while he may never get wealthy from goa trance (that's a f*cking certainty) his music has had a profound effect on me.

A definite classic.

Mdk