• 2 years later...

1. Chime

2. Swaragami

3. Breathing Space

4. Pianissimo

5. Mother Tongue

6. Heal

7. Celestial Reasoning

If there is one down tempo album I have been listening for a bit now, usually in seasons is Jairamji with Kindred Spirits. Admittedly is not very psychedelic in the traditional sense of the word, but is such great music that if we talk about Interchill records here, or all this neo-world music everyone seems to have taken a liking for, this one should not go unmissed.

It’s a special mix of ambient-tribal-lounge, almost entirely based of organic drumming and a strong return-to-nature feel. When used the voice samples are delightful chants of unknown languages, much like Angel Tears. Refined material for lighting incense. Chill out music with a soul included. Stuff to play in double date on a urban-hippie crowd, yet it’s so well crafted it invites the headphones. It’s something you have to press play and allow it some time for it flourish.

I took a bit to like it because it’s packed of this strange American-indigenous spice, that if you don’t know what to expect, it might take you for a surprise. And not all the songs are great as the highlights, yet personally it is not even a question of purchase.

Some tracks like ‘Breathing Space’, ‘Heal’, “Celestial Reasoning” and maybe even “Swaragami” feel like progressive, organic drumming in what I could only vaguely compare to Deviant Electronics. Yet it also reminds of the early squarepusher in his most coherent moments on the adaptation of jazzy breaks.

There is one track with great female vocal samples, “Mother Tongue” accompanied with some “playing to the dessert-dawn” flute and guitar echoing in amazing grace. “Chime works well with the vocals but, is not as mesmerizing as the aforementioned. “Pianissimo” originally attracted me to the thing and I’m not too sure I love it now, but is the most accessible one. Obviously, there are piano lines and there is a decent loungy beat to the composition.

Some other tracks are forgivable, but overall there is something that for one reason or another was playing my stereo a lot these years, usually during summer. Don’t know if it’s the sunny days and general tranquility that just makes this stuff more appealing, but… it works for me.

Highlights:

1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7

(Looking at it, I guess I like most of it… maybe not all at the same time, tough).

pardon the editing errors, a little too late in the day for that ;)

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=3270

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Here I am settling down after cleaning the apartment (well, kinda; as well as a man can clean) before watching some hockey (I do indeed hate the Philadelphia Flyers) and I thought I would digest some chill. I don't want to put my foot through the TV.

With Chime, the Cello sneaks in. Letting you know it's there, but not disturbing your mood. The tabla is soft and insistent, but gentle. And my goodness, the bass drops are powerful! Light chants sprinkle the senses, and the journey continues in a lounge-like direction. Nice.

Swaragami has more soft percussion with fluttering strings that speak of a melancholy long ago. Gentle guitar stings dance nimbly as the bass drops are more subtle but no less apparent. Very enjoyable.

Breathing Space brings a floating wind instrument (pan flute?) above light hand percussion as a deep bass rumbles forward. The piano riff swirls effortlessly around more percussion taking over the melody. The flute returns and assumes the lead role again, but because this track is so long, I sort of lost focus. I guess that's a good thing.

As a piano player I was looking forward to this song. Pianissimo begins with a soothing melody quickly joined with bouncy percussion. The bpm of this track is definitely faster. The dulcimer is very emotive, and whispers of a struggle in the clouds. As it joins the piano, the melody fades into the sunset.

Mother Tongue begins with a weeping flute floating over an ethereal guitar and a tender female voice. I think she said Gaia, but that's all I could understand. The percussion has a break beat feel to it and creates a mellow groove. I think this would be my least favorite as I don't mind voices if they are an accent to the track, I just don't like them to dominate.

Heal contains more flute with a rumbling bass. This track plods along with deep chants and the ethnic percussion at the "break" is heartfelt. Unfortunately, I didn't see a clear direction with this track. Beautiful, but not equal to the previous tracks.

As the last track Celestial Reasoning has me in a very relaxed mood. A soft piano melody tickles the ear as nimble guitar strings race to some destination. Tribal drums resonate under a more melancholy flute. As the instruments melt away, only an ethereal voice can be heard soaring above the comforting guitar. Very enjoyable, if a bit long.

I just wanted to comment on this Cd, not wrote a whole review, but it was so beautiful I felt I had to jot down my thoughts. Thank you Mr Roscoe for creating such a beautiful piece of art. It really moved me. This is the type of music you would listen to while relaxing in the rain forest during a light shower. I don't know who does that, but this would be your soundtrack. The whole CD is replete with the sounds of nature that gives an earthly or organic feel. Years ago I camped on the beach in Hawaii for two weeks and watched the waves crash in. I think it would work well there, but then then again what wouldn't?

Mdk

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

Jairamji

Kindred Spirits

Dakini Records

Tracklist

1 Chime (8:52)

2 Swaragami (8:33)

3 Breathing Space (12:56)

4 Pianissimo (10:47)

5 Mother Tongue (11:25)

6 Heal (11:05)

7 Celestial Reasoning (14:15)

After hearing the Jairamji track Temple on Nada Masala Vol.3 I fell in love with Jairamji's sound. I went on to download the album Posted Image

Very few albums that I've downloaded have I ever given a chance to. I really loved the album so eventually bought it & I'm glad I did. I've given so much more attention to it now I own the physical product. Enough to write about :)

1. Chime

We start with what sounds like a dive. The water splashing on impact briefly lingering until a warm summer air & some tribal beats take over. Little cords play recessively & a few strums of a guitar can be heard fading into the background. A dark heavy bass gives the hint of nighttime and the flute as well as the cello gives the feeling of floating through the warm atmosphere from the comfort of the ground. Natural sounds all about, water, birds singing & light vocal chants. The beat becomes more intense & intricate lending a more intense party/ceremony feeling. Great beginning.

2. Swaragami

Swaragami continues with the tribal feeling but more of a routine ritualistic one than a special occasion. The ethnic vocal is that of an old man I'm sure & it gives a gentle nostalgia to the music that the soft violin strings really accentuate. I'm not overly impressed when the music breaks down & the violin gets all squeaky but all is brought back moments later when the percussion kicks back in a little more prominently & the string melody warms the heart. Nice stuff.

3. Breathing Space

This track is a little more mystical than the opening two, the flute played reeks of importance & ceremony. Like it is calling through the veil to the spirits on the other side to grant a request of the player. As it is a pretty long track there is no sense of urgency to get underway & the sounds creep in almost unnoticed around the flute. The beat continues to increase in intensity from a few smatterings here & there to a fully incorporated one. The piano melody floats around very musically & before you realise it, the air is full of all different sounds. Very nicely done I must say. The track progresses lightly & it's worth it's length. Easy to drift off & get lost in this one.

4. Pianissimo

As you can guess from the track title, this is a very piano orientated track. From just the piano melody by itself at the start & when the bass & tribal drums come in it just oozes class. Probably the best track on the album thus far, with rhythm, melody & a lot of feeling. The feeling is intensified by the beautiful vocals which drip with regret. The string melody in the latter half while light in manages to give a dark edge. Quite a melancholic track. Very nice as it comes full circle so although it progresses it goes back to the great start, so you enjoy but look forward at the same time.

5. Mother Tongue

Flute & guitar in the intro, really soft & nice. This is more vocal than anything else on the album. The vocals are right in the foreground of the music but they don't dominate like they could. Maybe my inability to understand the words makes the voice sound like just another instrument. But the human voice can be such a wonderful instrument can't it? Without the distraction of crappy lyrics I can appreciate the voice without it distracting me from the quality musical elements behind it. The guitar is just about constant & creates a fantastic base for the rest of the sounds to amble along.

At their peak, the vocals are a little too dominating but the peak is brief so doesn't still my enjoyment of the track too much.

6. Heal

This starts of with what sounds like a very Spanish guitar so this instantly makes me feel warm & summery. Think about standing on a beach in midsummer, looking out over the sea to the deep blue and then back in land to the verdant greens. This is the feeling I get from the intro. The beat kicks in almost unnoticed until the flute draws my attention to it. A very nice mellow beat it is too, fitting very well with the relaxed summer vibe of the rest of the music.

the flute & the strings take me away from the beach further inland but with the same mellow holiday feeling as before.

7. Celestial Reasoning

Keeping with the warm feeling but a much more evening feel to the music in this track. Beautiful sounds played from the piano, the guitar & strings float effortlessly around the darkening air giving a sense of achievement & satisfaction to the atmosphere. When the tribal beats kick in, it really feels like the home stretch of a wonderful journey. The travelling has been great but the excitement of reaching the destination takes over. The flute & the vocals both ethereal in tone & let the mind drift away to an astral plane while the body rests among the tall grass. Although it's over 14 minutes long, this track seems to fly by. It's always changing slightly & progressively getting more intense. The sounds cloud the air in the final third before they are stripped away to leave only the guitar & soft distorted vocals before the end.

If you like Dakini's sound then you really need this album. It is a must in any collection of a lover of good ethnic chill. As always with Dakini, the ethnic music manages to sound real & honest not overused sample ridden stuff but original, well constructed music. Whenever I listen to this album, I always smile reflexively. i just can't help myself with this infectiously warm happy music.

• 1 year later...