New Shulman album

mind.breeder

So what do you think about Random Thoughts (RT) - a new Shulman album??

I gave it 3 listens already and I must say it is a big dissapointment for me :(

First off, I don't understand the point of giving so many collaborations and remixes on a full length solo album. It looks like kind of trend lately (Entheogenic, Bluetech...), but at least here IMHO it destroys the integrity of the album and gives it somehow incomplete feeling. It was one of things that ruined Dialogue of the Speakers for me - there were too few Entheogenic tracks and they were very stagnant IMO (paradoxicaly, the remix from ott was the only one song I really liked from the album). But I would get over that if only RT was good in other aspects.

What is worse, most of the songs here are really dull and sound uninspired. I can't say I'm not dainty, but there was really not a single track that made me want to replay. The song production leads to nowhere, just hangs in the drowsy tripped out soundscapes. Of course the music is relaxed and soothing, but I was expecting a lot more, because the second album showed a really good songwriting and it had a story, diversity and spirit. Here, Shulman sounds stuck somewhere between journey and stasis. It was probably meant to sound like random thoughts, but I didn't felt touched by the music like before. And I'm really tired of those "must be" ethnosounds like random wailing, flutes and sitars that are just scattered across the tunes with little melodic progress or structure :angry:. I guess my expectations very a bit too high :huh:. Anyway, I think that "Meaningful moment" was a lot better. And I'm sure that expectations haven't clouded my senses :D

On the other hand, the sound quality and technical side of production is very good. Shulman further improved their technical skill. The sound manipulation is detailed, the whole album has a very warm and soothing sound and it doesnt sound rather plastic like before. Some of the effects used are perfect and i like that dripping-like percussion and fx as well as some impressive rhytms. However, all songs sort of sound the same :(

My favourite song is "Staring at the Abyss" - fine ambient with interesting gelatinous sound, fantastic atmosphere and that nice Shulman feeling. Probably the only one that will be ripped and put into winamp playlist :P

Hmm maybe I look overcritical <_< The album is probably better than many other chillout releases this year, but for me, it's the same as with Entheo and Bluetech - nothing impressive. If I were to make a review, the grade would be 7/10 :ph34r:

I'm sorry if this topic is on the wrong place or something... Haven't seen it around yet :unsure:

i'm loving it..partially :P it couldve done without the michele adamson & entheogenic rmx's.. i dont really dig "look honey its the vitties" either, it doesnt seem to fit in.

well so far it's still shiny & new & a joy to listen to (most tracks) ~ but i do suspect this one won't age very well... unlike the previous albums.

mm, though the 'random thoughts' concept does fit in nicely after the 'in search of a meaningfull moment' concept i think :]

there are a few gems on it though, i'm currently addicted to "staring at the abyss", heh, playing it again as we speak.

Don't like it. Looks more like a compilation of various tracks from here and there. No flow what so ever. Some tunes (3) are previously released and i already have them. His next album is supposed to be with Ishq, the yawnbient master. I guess it'll be boring as well.

Looks more like a compilation of various tracks from  here and there.

447405[/snapback]

"As the title hints, it contains different compositions in different tones that accumulated in Shulman's studio independently of any specific album project."

From the promotional text, which you will also find in the .nfo file.

So I don't feel that this album is a let down, because it sounds like what I expected. A compilation of various Shulman tracks.

"As the title hints, it contains different compositions in different tones that accumulated in Shulman's studio independently of any specific album project."

From the promotional text, which you will also find in the .nfo file.

So I don't feel that this album is a let down, because it sounds like what I expected. A compilation of various Shulman tracks.

447451[/snapback]

Feathers would mention the word half baked. The only worthy tracks from here i already have from other CDs

Well I was expecting something a little more psychedelic

added having the other 3 tracks already

It was a bit let down for me

The tracks are good and his production skills have gone higher no words for that

but rather than the production I think I look for something else

I enojyed the song elements from the first album more than any Shulman track

and its basically like a remix of Ravis Shankars Mantram The Chants of India s 3 tracks, but its a lovely track that makes me float...

Cant say its a bad idea, and it sounds like Random thoughts rather than an album, so I guess this is what Yanive was after

So what do you think about Random Thoughts (RT) - a new Shulman album??

I gave it 3 listens already and I must say it is a big dissapointment for me  :(

i agree

Yeah, its a nice album, thats all....but nohing else!!!

didnt listen to it yet... been quite off the new releases.. will check it out when I get home...

His next album is supposed to be with Ishq, the yawnbient master. I guess it'll be boring as well.

447405[/snapback]

no no no.. huva network invented the meaning of yawnbient.. ishq is good :D

Guest The Journey Man Project

mmmm haven't heard it yet... was more intersted in ordering Eleve (brand new Ishq) and the autographed copy of Niyaz album from www.dakinirecords.com ... shulman won't sell out very fast... it's alqays restocked rapidly...

lets agree that in search of a meaningful moment is better.

nevertheless, this album has some fabulous tunes. what pisses me off, is that 3 tracks were already released, I was expecting 9 new and fresh tracks.

Ra heya, great as it is, was released in 2004 ffs. it realy is more a compilation then an album, which ruined the flowting that attended in the previous album.

however, Ill enjoy this album until it'll age and ill get back to meaningful moment

lets agree that in search of a meaningful moment is better.

nevertheless, this album has some fabulous tunes. what pisses me off, is that 3 tracks were already released, I was expecting 9 new and fresh tracks.

Ra heya, great as it is, was released in 2004 ffs. it realy is more a compilation then an album, which ruined the flowting  that attended in the previous album.

however, Ill enjoy this album until it'll age and ill get back to meaningful moment

447783[/snapback]

Many albums have a lot already released tracks on them..

2 good examples:

Shpongle - Are You SHpongled

Prometheus - Robot-O-Chan

:)

i can live with an album that released 1 track as a single , but 3? damn its 33% of the album, its like buying a 6 tracks album.

moreover, its been 2 years since the ra heya remixes, too long.

447810[/snapback]

Prometheus album had 3 out of 9 already released too.. yet I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Can't remember how many on the Shpongle one were released before the album.. 2 or 3 out of 7..

I don't see the problem with getting an album with tracks that are already released, look at all the other genres in the world. An album should not be about releasing "9 fresh unreleased tracks ready to bomb the dancefloor!", but about what tracks really represent the artist.

For instance, I would like an album with Fungus Funks tracks for 2003 and 2004, on one disc, instead of having to change cds all the time, from compilation to compilaiton.

Maybe it's just a way to re-offer those tracks to ppl who don't already have'm? Like me ;)

447875[/snapback]

Exactly, I don't have these compilations either, I'm not even sure what compilations they are on. I only know that the Ra-hey-ya remix is on the cd-s, and there's no way in mordor I'm buying that.