How much should an artist make for one song?

Basilisk

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.  You're wrong (and I don't normally make categorical statements like that).

All you can say is "... and it usually turns out to be something I don't like".

PS.  Some of the opinions you have put forth in your posts have made me quite pissed off.  I haven't got the time to reply properly right now because I've got to pack and leave for a gig very soon.  I might just leave you to fester in your own 'idealism' (I bet you don't pay for all the music you download, either, am I right?)... being creative might not be a 'job' for most people who try and express themselves with music, but making stuff that's worth listening to takes TIME - far more time in some cases than most of you imagine.  I worked it out on Isra once, and for what we (and most people) get paid for a track (if we get paid at all), the equivalent hourly rate works out at literally a few cents an hour.  "What about gigs?" I hear you cry... sure, they can sometimes pay ok but for 95% of people who make trance getting a decent gig AND getting paid for it is nigh-on impossible as promoter's artist budgets are normally gobbled up by the fees demanded by headliners.

I'm fed up to the back teeth of being skint; of not knowing whether I'll be able to keep my car on the road; of surviving on ramen noodles for the last week of every month.  But I tell you now, if money was the motivation I could be earning £50k as a computer programmer right now... but if I did that I'd be too tired in my time off to make music.  People like you make me sick; you don't have any appreciation of how much artists give of ourselves, just to give you a 10MB download.

448010[/snapback]

respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good on you colin

i'm buying 2 of your new album

Only good ones of course, isn't the Posford getting like almost 10000 pounds for a live+dj ?

450944[/snapback]

What you have to understand is Twisted Records is in a VERY SMALL minority of psytrance labels that are actually successful (and therefore can afford to pay out more to the artists etc). I doubt that Simon recieves £10,000 for his live act.

What you have to understand is Twisted Records is in a VERY SMALL minority of psytrance labels that are actually successful (and therefore can afford to pay out more to the artists etc). I doubt that Simon recieves £10,000 for his live act.

451382[/snapback]

Divide by 3 and you'll be in the right ballpark.

3000 pounds = 4000+euros isnt enough for a live act?

that's 4+ salaries.

451470[/snapback]

Keep in mind that he's the biggest name within psytrance, not many psy acts/djs are even close to getting that kind of money for a gig.

Most psytrance acts/djs gets less money for a gig than your normal top20 dj who plays mp3s at your local shitty club where drunk people get togheter to dance, make out and perhaps start a fight.

Divide by 3 and you'll be in the right ballpark.

451465[/snapback]

Yes, I was thinking the same myself but I wasn't sure so I didn't post that.

Most psytrance acts/djs gets less money for a gig than your normal top20 dj who plays mp3s at your local shitty club where drunk people get togheter to dance, make out and perhaps start a fight.

451473[/snapback]

Yes, a LOT less money. Because the scene is a lot smaller = less people going to the venue = less ticket sales = less money all round.

Yes, I was thinking the same myself but I wasn't sure so I didn't post that.

Yes, a LOT less money. Because the scene is a lot smaller = less people going to the venue = less ticket sales = less money all round.

451490[/snapback]

Not always, but often, yes.

451382[/snapback]

Oh I just remember reading an interview of some finnish pie organizer. He said that certain UK act asked 8000 pounds for a gig. He was talking about the Twisted label party which was here some years back. Hell maybe it was the price of the whole party then? YB live + Hallucinogen Live + Prometheus Live + Ott live + Ed dj set ?

Oh I just remember reading an interview of some finnish pie organizer. He said that certain UK act asked 8000 pounds for a gig. He was talking about the Twisted label party which was here some years back. Hell maybe it was the price of the whole party then? YB live + Hallucinogen Live + Prometheus Live + Ott live + Ed dj set ?

451495[/snapback]

Can you remember any such incidents when the label concerned WASN'T Twisted Records but was another psy label?

this party was in Finland

451509[/snapback]

There's a lot less money in psytrance than there is in commercial pop.

Read this:

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/netmusic/story/...1385687,00.html

...Although sales of vinyl and CD singles declined again by 14% to 26.5m last year, more than 5.7m downloads were sold during the year. Peter Jamieson, the BPI's chairman, said: "We have already announced that downloads will soon be included in the official UK singles chart and had downloads been included in the singles figures for 2004, the market would have shown a 4% increase."

Chart compilers are planning to include download sales within the main chart by the middle of the year.

In the final week of 2004, more than 312,000 single downloads were sold compared with 282,000 high street sales, marking the first time the digital format has outsold the physical one.

Are You Shpongled? has sold around 20,000 copies. And that's one of the biggest selling albums of our genre.

Are You Shpongled? has sold around 20,000 copies. And that's one of the biggest selling albums of our genre.

451511[/snapback]

Says at Shpongle.com that Are you Shpongle has sold over 30000 copies.. actually it has said that for many years.. I bet it has sold atleast 5000 more after that :P

Anyways didn't Hallucinogen's Twisted (or was it TLD) make it to the french pop charts back in the days, surely that requires quite high sales too?

Says at Shpongle.com that Are you Shpongle has sold over 30000 copies.. actually it has said that for many years.. I bet it has sold atleast 5000 more after that :P

Anyways didn't Hallucinogen's Twisted (or was it TLD) make it to the french pop charts back in the days, surely that requires quite high sales too?

451515[/snapback]

I think I heard somewhere that Twisted had sold 75.000 copies. Or perhaps that was both Hallucinogen albums? Or all the albums Simon has made combined? I can't remember.

451515[/snapback]

Fair enough, last time I checked it was 20K. But seriously, do you really think that the majority of the psy scene sells that many records?