Dub !?

Deepdrone

are you implying that some facts are not opinions, personal or collective?

401585[/snapback]

All facts are opinions somehow but maye not ultimate opinions?

my understanding is that ragga is reggae with electronics

401564[/snapback]

euhm yés your statement is correct but ragga is more then that, it's more then reggea with elektronics...

heavey basslines, tuff lyrics, but the problem is reggae is reggae but ragga is not ragga...

you have also dance hall raggga and more directions so well I can hear the difference buth explaning them is like always difficult :blink:

dub music is more trippy & psychedelic than nowdays psy-trance...it's a fact  B)

401580[/snapback]

I have to experience for a music style like dub that exist for such a long time there's isn't much envolving and new waves comping up... you can actually notice it all are a bunch of blowers gathering :D , if you hear new dub sometimes it sounds like from 20 years agoo... :rolleyes:

Well...if ska came before reggae, I think it is worth mentioning Mento music. Just got back today from Jamaica and am happy to report it is still being played today (although it is hard to find. it has taken me 14 trips before I ran into somebody playing it live).

Mento is the grandfather of Jamaican music (before we start going back to the old African music) and was critical to the development of Ska, rock steady, reggae et al. Although its beginnings go back to the 19th century, its heyday was back in the 1950s. It seems that it is largely forgotten (but not completely), and it did not help that even at its apex it was often mis-labeled as being a type of Calypso (which comes from T & T), even though it does sound quite different.

Enough history.

If I were to recommend one piece of dub/reggae it would be Lee Scratch Perry's compilation Arkology. It is 3 CDs brimful of good music (plus you get a nice booklet). In fact, everybody should own this.

I also confess to have a strong weakness for Tapper Zukie's In Dub compilation. But it is a less urgent purchase.

Finally, it is worth mentioning that dub is used by many in techno; for example, it famously featured quite prominently in much of the Chain Reaction label output, and by the Basic Channel /Rhythm and Sound duo (Maurizio and Ernestus).

Pedro

Well...if ska came before reggae, I think it is worth mentioning Mento music. Just got back today from Jamaica and am happy to report it is still being played today (although it is hard to find. it has taken me 14 trips before I ran into somebody playing it live).

Mento is the grandfather of Jamaican music (before we start going back to the old African music) and was critical to the development of Ska, rock steady, reggae et al. Although its beginnings go back to the 19th century, its heyday was back in the 1950s. It seems that it is largely forgotten (but not completely), and it did not help that even at its apex it was often mis-labeled as being a type of Calypso (which comes from T & T), even though it does sound quite different.

Enough history.

If I were to recommend one piece of dub/reggae it would be Lee Scratch Perry's compilation Arkology. It is 3 CDs brimful of good music (plus you get a nice booklet). In fact, everybody should own this.

I also confess to have a strong weakness for Tapper Zukie's In Dub compilation. But it is a less urgent purchase.

Finally, it is worth mentioning that dub is used by many in techno; for example, it famously featured quite prominently in much of the Chain Reaction label output, and by the Basic Channel /Rhythm and Sound duo (Maurizio and Ernestus).

Pedro

401604[/snapback]

cool to read I'm a big ska fan :)

Enough history.

Pedro

401604[/snapback]

actually ska was nothing like it is today. Funny fact when the skinheads got started their music of prefference was ska, which still came from the large population of afro-caribbeans, before they switched to punk...

i do agree... dub is way more psychedelic than most clubbing music nowadays ;)

get the mad professor a go... i love burning spear but thats more old school :)

actually ska was nothing like it is today. Funny fact when the skinheads got started their music of prefference was ska, which still came from the  large population of afro-caribbeans, before they switched to punk...

i do agree... dub is way more psychedelic than most clubbing music nowadays  ;)

get the mad professor a go... i love burning spear :)

401619[/snapback]

wooooooooow wooooooow

the original ska from 50 years agoo still exist and is alive !

just another genre came up called ska - punk....

hardcore ska was the first underground moshpit club music I encountered, back in the early, early 90s. then came ska-punk like the Toasters, etc.

First wave of ska, like Skatalites are the bomb, though..

hardcore ska was the first underground moshpit club music I encountered, back in the early, early 90s. then came ska-punk like the Toasters, etc.

First wave of ska, like Skatalites are the bomb, though..

401647[/snapback]

skatalites rule big time but exist lot longer then the ska punk...

the typical ska-p band is still the best, very motivating and powerfull music imo...

ska is just music for old men that we all didn't like back in the days but they just gave it a new suit, some new vibration, a happy sound and up it scores big time...

seeing skatalatis live is safe, the oldest member is still alive and like 80 or what...

I like he's 10-9-8.... 3-2-1 FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM ! :D

the new dub is more melodic and a bit more childisch...

not that 'jungle feeling anymore' imo... I understand you....

401646[/snapback]

I use to like it back when I listened to more dub, but after starting to listen to more psytrance and chillout it started to sound kinda naive like you said. Nothing beats Scientist vinyls :D

I use to like it back when I listened to more dub, but after starting to listen to more psytrance and chillout it started to sound kinda naive like you said. Nothing beats Scientist vinyls  :D

401649[/snapback]

true it doesne't envolve...

like psy ambient always gets better and better dub like stays swimming at the same place and it's normal you start to compare...

well you have dub that envolves like the famous zion train but that not 100% dub anymore... it's very trance too and they use a lot of dub elements but if you know the roots of dub ,zion train isn't that dubby at all...

but still saw them one month agoo and they know how to entertain the people...

so safe I think :)

ps: scientist is good, always found it very funny he called an album of him 'the best dub album of the world'... If I'm not wrong... :D

Hmm. The only real(?) electronic psychedelic dub I know is Ott, although his music is not that dub in the traditional sense. Some psychill is dubby, but wouldn't call it dub. High Tone is quite psychedelic (and very good ;))

Nothing to do with psytrance imo :blink: