Eternal reuse of overused voice samples

Alek

Triggered by EPs use of the vocals that hop in about 3min in his track Fairytale. It's been used before by Shpongle.

This has nothing to do with my personal thoughts that all samples used should be original, this is reusing the unoriginal. There seems to be a sample disk floating around which people seem to consider highly usable unaware that it's been used and overused. Examples:

1) Voices of Istanbul. Same Turkish singing can be heard at the end of "Around the world in a tea daze" and Asura's song "Lost Eden" is actually the entire vocal part.

2) Entheogenic and OTT using the same vocal samples on their debut albums. Can't remember which ones, but give them both a listen and you will hear.

3) Shpongle and OTT in general. Sure you can't get on a bus and tour Africa recording samples, but for fuck's sake change the CD... always the same samples that can be heard in mainstream music and many other forms of chill music.

And we're talking about the best of the best our scene has to offer. It's not some kid in Israel whose daddy just bought him a synth. There is so much originality in their music yet this sample business is a complete contradiction of originality. The samples are not even modified, it's just played as-is. Does anyone agree with me on this?

If you're gonna use a sample off a CD, you can't expect to be the only one using those samples considering they come from a highly popular sample disk anyone can get.

My thoughts exactly & I'm not talking only about vocal samples, also general sounds are being over-recycled imho

295450[/snapback]

Yes, it gets a bit boring now... all the digital farts etc..

i 100% with you! its annoying to listen to the tracks after some time!

and especially with indian chanting and so on.. i mean there are 1000s of cds with mantras, etc that can be "freely" ripped for samples out there!! why is everyone using the same ones beats me...

i 100% with you!  its annoying to listen to the tracks after some time!

and especially with indian chanting and so on..  i mean there are 1000s of cds with mantras, etc that can be "freely" ripped for samples out there!!  why is everyone using the same ones beats me...

295564[/snapback]

true!

btw i love the sample at Electric Universe - The Prayer

Guest .::E.P

Triggered by EPs use of the vocals that hop in about 3min in his track Fairytale. It's been used before by Shpongle.

This has nothing to do with my personal thoughts that all samples used should be original, this is reusing the unoriginal. There seems to be a sample disk floating around which people seem to consider highly usable unaware that it's been used and overused. Examples:

1) Voices of Istanbul. Same Turkish singing can be heard at the end of "Around the world in a tea daze" and Asura's song "Lost Eden" is actually the entire vocal part.

2) Entheogenic and OTT using the same vocal samples on their debut albums. Can't remember which ones, but give them both a listen and you will hear.

3) Shpongle and OTT in general. Sure you can't get on a bus and tour Africa recording samples, but for fuck's sake change the CD... always the same samples that can be heard in mainstream music and many other forms of chill music.

And we're talking about the best of the best our scene has to offer. It's not some kid in Israel whose daddy just bought him a synth. There is so much originality in their music yet this sample business is a complete contradiction of originality. The samples are not even modified, it's just played as-is. Does anyone agree with me on this?

If you're gonna use a sample off a CD, you can't expect to be the only one using those samples considering they come from a highly popular sample disk anyone can get.

295414[/snapback]

You know very well what I wrote in the other topic that I have had that sample on a DAT tape for years and that I dont sit around listening to every single track produced in order to not use a sample someone else used.. And how come it's suddently Shpongle and not Younger Brother that used the sample? You wrote Younger Brother in the other topic. I am sure if Simon used the sample it's also been used by other artist in other genres of music. Espcially if it's been on a sample CD which I personally never owned or saw. So much for the "who came first" bullocks.

I say get over it or start making your own "original" sampled flawless music.

I've simply lost count of howmany tracks there are using that sample from the Doors: "The dj's took pills to stay awake & play for 7 days"

I can think of at least 3, of which 2 came out last years.

& indeed don't get me started on Matrix, Fear & Loathing or chanting-samples.

Cool samples are everywhere!!

At Tshitraka everybody was playing this full-on tune "Tribal dance" with the vocals from an ANCIENT 2Unlimited (early 90's Euro-dance) track. Now the song was crap but thàt's an original sample.

You know very well what I wrote in the other topic that I have had that sample on a DAT tape for years and that I dont sit around listening to every single track produced in order to not use a sample someone else used.. And how come it's suddently Shpongle and not Younger Brother that used the sample? You wrote Younger Brother in the other topic.  I am sure if Simon used the sample it's also been used by other artist in other genres of music.  Espcially if it's been on a sample CD which I personally never owned or saw.  So much for the "who came first" bullocks.

I say get over it or start making your own "original" sampled flawless music.

295997[/snapback]

You might want to check who you're talking to, because I've got no fucking clue what you're on about. What topic what dat what YB?

Anyway, I grow tired of talking to you EP... you take it personally and put stuff in my mouth like "who came first" which I never said or implied... besides, you don't have the decency to finish a serious discussion which kinda pisses me off. So I will not make it happen for the third time, but read my post again minus the bitternes.

You might want to check who you're talking to, because I've got no fucking clue what you're on about. What topic what dat what YB?

Anyway, I grow tired of talking to you EP... you take it personally and put stuff in my mouth like "who came first" which I never said or implied... besides, you don't have the decency to finish a serious discussion which kinda pisses me off. So I will not make it happen for the third time, but read my post again minus the bitternes.

296197[/snapback]

Sorry for not rembering correctly and checking that it was someone else earlier thread and that i did not get all facts right. But this topic have already been debated (maybe the search function would be a good idea?):

Here we go again

It seem to me that you take it much more personal that i dare to join this debate and say what I think ;) Mayeb it's the usual "artists should be good boys and girls and not have an opinion" ?

I always finish debates if the ones I debate with care to not attack me, call me names and dont twist my words to their own advantage ;)

I still stand by my view that I cant know what every artist use. I dont use much sample CD's. I try to make much of my own sounds and use other resources than pre-made sample CD's. I dont know where Simon found that voice sample (spanish). I dont own that sample CD if it's from a sample CD? But I can assure you it's been on my DAT tape for a long long time. It's just one of those things that happens. I can only say live with it or do it better yourself if you can. I hate to be told what i am not "allowed" to do when I make music. It's my creation and my decision what i want to use. You can critisise it all you like. That's cool. But at the end of the day I am the one that decide what I do. Nobody else.

Edited by .::E.P

just wanna say this:

artists are almost always right on such matters.. but its not important. if your fans complain about it you should consider it. of course in the end the music each artist makes is his/her creation and composed in any way they see fit.. but all these complains lead to one conclusion: we re tired of it.

Alek wrote:

Asura writes

The entire vocal part of "Voices of Istanbul" last 4mn38 sec Alek...

just wanna say this:

artists are almost always right on such matters..  but its not important. if your fans complain about it you should consider it. of course in the end the music each artist makes is his/her creation and composed in any way they see fit.. but all these complains lead to one conclusion: we re tired of it.

296250[/snapback]

And I can asure you many of us are tired of the "fans" endless suggestions ;)

full on artists are also tired from suggestions. but this doesnt mean they shouldnt consider them, does it? i mean if you release the music.. its music made for people to dig....

and its not like we re talking about limiting artists' expression or anything.. on the contrary ; )

full on artists are also tired from suggestions. but this doesnt mean they shouldnt consider them, does it?  i mean if you release the music..  its music made for people to dig....

and its not like we re talking about limiting artists' expression or anything..  on the contrary ; )

296270[/snapback]

First of all I make music for myself because I cant help not making music. It's in my blood. Yes I get happy if people like my music but I dont get tears in my eyes if someone think my music suck. It's all random and I cant satisfy all people. My obligation is to make the music that I like. Not what you like or want me to make.

I dont sit around and wonder if people are going to like this sound or that sound or sample etc. That's exactly where you go wrong. Music should come from the artists heart and not wonder if someone dont like the sample or not.

And I can asure you many of us are tired of the "fans" endless suggestions ;)

296265[/snapback]

To be honest, when we did the track lost eden, we didn't know Shpongle already used it. But if we had known it, I am not sure we wouldn't have done it as we did it. I think the artist has the right to reappropriate material which is available for his work. As synth layers or drum loops by example.

To be honest, when we did the track lost eden, we didn't know Shpongle already used it. But if we had known it, I am not sure we wouldn't have done it as we did it. I think the artist has the right to reappropriate material which is available for his work. As synth layers or drum loops by example.

296281[/snapback]

Exactly. And as I wrote earlier it's impossible to be up to date with what all artist use or not. What matters to me is if the music come from the heart or not.

295414[/snapback]

Nevertheless, I am proud and happy you consider Asura among the bests, Thanks Alek!

But you know, we tried to modify enough the vocal track and take only fragments so that It makes part of our world. That's right we used many "Voices of Istanbul" samples in "Lost Eden" album, but I hope we put our touch on it so that one can say: "yes, they used it, but with their own manner, and not by the way another artist did it billions times".

Nevertheless, I am proud and happy you consider Asura among the bests, Thanks Alek!

But you know, we tried to modify enough the vocal track and take only fragments so that It makes part of our world. That's right we used many "Voices of Istanbul" samples in "Lost Eden" album, but I hope we put our touch on it so that one can say: "yes, they used it, but with their own manner, and not by the way another artist did it billions times".

296292[/snapback]

I can't tell you how I fel the night the bombings in Iraq started. I must have listened Lost Eden thru like 10 times that night. It fit the moment so well. I was at some Yahoo chatroom were all the americans we going like "USA USA".. bloody fucks B) it was so sad and the music just made the moment unforgetable

hmm somehow I have the feeling I've said this before..

btw any news on incoming Asura albums?