Basilisk

Was the review section on psynews better before the change?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Was the review section on psynews better before the change?

• Yes - it may have been less structured but there was more activity, which is more important
    • No - I like how the system is organized by year now, even if it is at the cost of some reviewing activity

The only thing I don't like (or I'm just not used to) is that the review's are sorted by name...

...so you can't see what are the newest reviews, it's only working if you are searching for a review of a particular album... for example you want to buy something, you go in this section, search for it and there it is... or it's not, you read it

But I'd like it to be sorted by the date of last comment, so I could see the most talked-about albums or the latest reviews. And that I think is what people like to do - shit on the album, fight about it, praise it or whatever.

There is an option to sort the reviews by name, so if my aim is to read a review of a particular album - I'll definitelly find it!

SO if you want to make higher activity do it by sorting them in the way I said.

UPD: Sorry, didn't read what you've written :rolleyes: I'm with you!

I also think having the default set to "by date" would be a lot more useful than sorting by name. I usually look at the reviews to find out which new stuff is good, not to search for a specific album/artist (although i do that occasionally).

That's the only thing wrong with the new system though. I actually prefer how they are grouped by year now. That way there aren't 1000+ reviews from the last 10 years all in one forum

I don't understand you people... first of all

I know what kind of activity a thread used to get when it was just posted in the old system...

Basilisk if I didn't know better I'd say that you're starting to act as a troll here... are you SURE you know what kind of activity a thread used to get when it was just posted in the old system? Cause I don't think you do... some reviews would be bumped down so fast almost noone would read them... not to mention that reviews from, say, 1996 would bump down reviews from 2004 and so on. And that basically everyone just payed attention to the reviews on the first page and as soon as a review went to second page it was long lost and forever buried... With the new sorting system - believe it or not - threads get MUCH more attention than they used to... maybe they get proportionatley less attention in the first week than before because it's not head of the list but over a period of a few months it remains MUCH more visible than in the past

Scond of all

SORT THE REVIEWS BY DATE!

what's this all about? :blink: they ARE sorted by date... if by that you mean "make threads bumpable" then personally I'm against it since like I said, anything that gets past the first page is basically unusable. Plus you CAN see the most active thread because each year has a "last post in..." section which you can see when on the front page. In the end it's really a choice between pushing the latest releases and having a long-term quality board... And since we know that pushing latest releases with a lot of KILAAARGH!!! posts is specific to another site which not many people around here like then... nuff said...

But I'm open to suggestions... from people who REVIEW actively on a regular basis if you know what I mean... Latley I get lots of complaints from people who are almost inactive in the reviews section... this to me is kindof like letting people who've never used a computer decide on the next Intel processor structure. Does it make any sense to you? It doesn't to me...

So let DP, Le Lotus Bleu, Seraph, Rain,... etc have their say, then I'll take matters more seriosly into consideration...

...of course you can leave the system as it is now and have a nice structure with no content.

You say 1996 gets lost, I say Z's get lost... Do I have to make a name for my TranceProject starting with A so everybody could see it? :)... I'm joking, but come on... <_<

DP, Le Lotus Bleu, Seraph, Rain, please...

Well, both ideas have its pros and cons...

If we keep the year and make the threads bumpable it will be just like Isratrance & Psy-forum.co.uk where only the first page is interesting - and other stuff would be easily forgotten...

But the way we have it now, you can't easily tell which threads are most active... Unless you use the "post since last visit" function as I do...

If I had to choose, I'm afraid I like the current system the most... But it's not like I'm gonna protest if you change it back into bumpable...

/DP

Voila, everyone's happy.

err... not really Basilisk. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to start a flame war with you. I know that you have been one of the most dedicated persons around here to reviewing and this for a long long time. For this I highly respect you BUT you seem to be the ONLY long-lasting regular reviewer who is AGAINST the new system. You know I prefer them the way they are now but I'm no dictator... if other long-lasting regular reviewers demand a revamp then they shall have a revamp. But in the meantime I can't change something based on one person's opinion + the one of a few non-regular reviewers who'll probably switch to another site in a few weeks anyway.

So if you want support then start rallying people to your cause :)

PS RAH of course I apreciate your reviews too!!! Just that you've only been around for a few months so I can't tell if you're gonna stay here long term or not... I hope you will :)

PS 2 Anoebis: don't you think it's time you started reviewing again? You know it was your positive reviews that got me into swedish stuff (BotFB, Ka-Sol,..) in the first place so I'd much like to hear your new pics :)

@ Lemmiwinks

This is nothing personal of course, but the way it is now is one of the reasons why I post less (no?) reviews (and also the fact that I don't hear so much "new" music).

I don't see a point in writing a review on page 2 of 2005, because I never looked @ page 2 myself, so I guess it's the same with others, so like that the reviews get lost...

It's true that with "last post first" system only the popular reviews will stay on top, but nobody will withhold you from posting a review of a less popular cd and bringing it on top like that...

The best solution would be a system like psynews before... With the real reviews... But it will be here again... One day......... :ph34r:

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

My feeling is shared, at first i was prefering the bumpable system like Isratrance so when Lemmi changed the reviews order i felt a bit bothered. With the time i finally admitt the current system is the best fr a simple reason: in Isratrance for example it's used to be very easy to make a trick for the label & having a released's review on top fresh order by just adding 'wow that's great all these reviews'. In this same way you can act to refresh some reviews in reality in order to get some others dissappear from the most recent ones.

But let all reviews readers or writers express themself :)

I am not much of a reviewer, but I shall cast my vote:

I like it the way it is. By year, alphabetically and without bumping.

Pedro

But in the meantime I can't change something based on one person's opinion + the one of a few non-regular reviewers who'll probably switch to another site in a few weeks anyway.

276090[/snapback]

Fair enough... I'm just agitating to generate discussion after all :)

This is nothing personal of course, but the way it is now is one of the reasons why I post less (no?) reviews (and also the fact that I don't hear so much "new" music).

ahem you didn't really post much reviews in 04 under the old reviews system either *cough cough*

ahem you didn't really post much reviews in 04 under the old reviews system either *cough cough*

276198[/snapback]

well yes, like you noticed I wasn't much on psynews 12-4 months ago, but it caught more interest again :)