Basilisk

Was the review section on psynews better before the change?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Was the review section on psynews better before the change?

• Yes - it may have been less structured but there was more activity, which is more important
    • No - I like how the system is organized by year now, even if it is at the cost of some reviewing activity

care to elaborate Rain? Mind you "sorting by date" means in Basilisk's terms "making threads bumpable", they ARE already sorted by years...

276264[/snapback]

:D my mistake :lol:

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

4 the moment I believe the best choice is to keep the actual system...

just my opinion...

277232[/snapback]

to Spifer Jo & all interested in this poll topic don't forget to put your vote in the poll with the button, more the votes there will be, more the result ll be representative of the whole Psynews community :)

I first liked this new review section just because I hated bumping.

After I get used to this, I found it as unsufficient as Basilisk. I even post less reviews after that actually and most of my newish reviews got 20-30 views and almost no reply at all. I think it is better for people to see what new reviews is there and not go and look for it.

For example, who wants to check all of the 2004 or 2005 reviews section with 3-5 pages of it ? I am sure that you will find the best way of sorting that out Lemmi...I told you at first I liked it but now I don't find it as sufficient as before...;)

I see that the point is in "having a review section looking not like the the one at isratrance"... come on...

It can be different... but the number of reviews and comments will also be different, think about this.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that the current system is preferable to the bumpable threads.

The bumpable system makes it more difficult to find the reviews that one is interested in by not having them alphabetised. Instead it priviledges threads which happen to catch the fancy of a couple of people who are exchanging views. It can also be manipulated by people wanting to see 'their' thread remain at the top.

I would like to see the different threads treated more evenly and the equitable solution is to have it ordered alphabetically. Inescapably, a release with the letter 'A' will be easier to reach than one with the letter 'Z'. But this is better than having to search for a release (for example, with the letter 'A') deep into the pages of threads.

The alphabetical system may not maximise reviews, but it does not keep them from being read. I am sorry to hear that Basilisk feels so upset that his reviews are not getting the attention they deserve under the current system that he is less keen to grace us with his helpful reviews.

The original review system (before the forums reviews) was alpabetical. We are now back to alphabetical and let us keep it that way. We should limit the bumpable threads to the other forums.

Pedro

PS By the way, I would hardly characterise the current voting as having the necessary minimum number of votes (or quorom) to be deliver an unequivocal verdict of our opinions regarding this matter.

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

I see that the point is in "having a review section looking not like the the one at isratrance"... come on...

It can be different... but the number of reviews and comments will also be different, think about this.

277357[/snapback]

i don't think it has a major impact, these very recent days a nice package of fresh reviews has arrived :) it's more matter of motivation & time opportunity from reviewers, nonetheless i admitt in some limited case like Anoebis told it, it can hold yourself to write again.

Then the alphebetical or freshness order is just a matter of taste.

he original review system (before the forums reviews) was alpabetical. We are now back to alphabetical and let us keep it that way. We should limit the bumpable threads to the other forums.

amen to that :) Basically during all the years when the database was down people complained that it was impossible to find a reviews site sorted ALPHABETICALLY... and now I give you that and you still complain!

pedro also has a point on the quorum... who's to say that 100 reviewers who prefer the actual system never voted because they never even bothered to open this topic?

BTW Anoebis: I suppose that you're mostly upset because Apsara is on page 2... but look at the review on isratrance. Noone replied after my review, on one site or the other (which is a real pitty IMO). But doesn't that mean that in the end the sorting system doesn't really matter? People just prefer trendy releases and with the bumpable system à la isratrance I'd be giving them just that: an oportunity to push mediocre but very talked about releases! Whereas with alphabetical order people will still be able to find easily Apsara in july, in september, in 2006,in 2007 and so on...

anyway as promised I'll give this some more thought... I'll also ask mars what he thinks about this.

ok basilisk you win :) I talked to mars and aparently he prefers bumpable posts as well... so I guess the easyest way is to try out the new system and see in a few months if things change. Maybe in 2-3 months people will start a poll wanting the alphabetical system back? ;)

PS to all the people complaining about the alphabetical order: you'd better start reviewing like crazy now if you want me to take you seriously next time...

BTW Anoebis: I suppose that you're mostly upset because Apsara is on page 2... but look at the review on isratrance. Noone replied after my review, on one site or the other (which is a real pitty IMO). But doesn't that mean that in the end the sorting system doesn't really matter? People just prefer trendy releases and with the bumpable system à la isratrance I'd be giving them just that: an oportunity to push mediocre but very talked about releases! Whereas with alphabetical order people will still be able to find easily Apsara in july, in september, in 2006,in 2007 and so on...

anyway as promised I'll give this some more thought... I'll also ask mars what he thinks about this.

279042[/snapback]

To be honest I don't really care about that, being on top on psynews is not the reason why we would sell 50 cds more at all... But for me it really is the fact that nobody checks page 2-3... And what if you release a comp called

v.a. - Zoom in december?

It will probably end up on page 4 on the bottom... Nobody would read it imo... :)

Anyway, I'll start reviewing again, héhé

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

ok basilisk you win :) I talked to mars and aparently he prefers bumpable posts as well... so I guess the easyest way is to try out the new system and see in a few months if things change. Maybe in 2-3 months people will start a poll wanting the alphabetical system back? ;)

PS to all the people complaining about the alphabetical order: you'd better start reviewing like crazy now if you want me to take you serious next time...

279948[/snapback]

the most important is to please the psynewers majority & keep animated, attractive the review section :)

hm i prefer the old sticky topics, this is chaos / messy ... oh well.. ill get used to it.