Bluetech - Elementary Particles & Prima Materia.

Aleph Zero

Review by PKS courtesy of trance.net

post-131-1095713495_thumb.jpg

Surprising chill from Aleph Zero Records...

Aleph Zero Records is a label based in Israel, run by Yaniv Shulman and Shahar Bar-Itzhak. The first release on this label came last year, which was the fantastic second album by Shulman. They focus on the psychedelic side of electronic chill out music. Now they are out with the second release on this label, which is a double album by an artist from the US (Oregon) called Bluetech (Evan Bluetech). Bluetech is an artist I have heard much good about, but I have never heard his music until now. And what a positive surprise to suddenly sit here with a double CD full of chilled goodies from this artist! You also get a really nice cover art with this release.

Bluetech "Elementary Particles + Prima Materia" Aleph Zero Records 2004 (AlephZ02)

CD1: Elementary Particles

1. Elementary Particles (Re-Edit)

2. Alchemie Dub

3. Cosmologic

4. Koinonea

5. Prayers For Rain (J. Views Remix)

6. Oleander

7. Worthy

CD2: Prima Materia

1. Leaving Babylon

2. Prophetic Sines

3. Triangle (Retriangulated)

4. Rubicon

5. Prayers For Rain (Dub Mix)

6. White Magnesia

7. 7th Phase Dub

8. Burning Waters

9. Mezzamorphic

10. Desperate Ends

11. Cliffdiving

The first track on CD 1 called Elementary Particles gives us a beautiful, totally relaxed start on this journey. Floating vibes, with slow, dubby beats, echoing sounds and some beautiful sounds forming into a melody. Definitely one of the most beautiful chill out tracks I have heard this year. Perfect opening on a chill out set. Track 2 starts with weird, psychedelic sounds. Then some relaxed dubby beats glide into the track together with reggae influenced sounds and other weird ingredients. Quite happy, smoked out chill out track. You also get a beautiful ethnic voice in there. Fantastic track with great variation of melodies, sounds and dubby effects. Track 3 goes back to a floating soundscape again. Relaxing, very electronic sounding melodies and a totally mystic, psychedelic vibe all the way through. Again we get great variation so we never get a boring moment. Track 4 goes the dubby direction again. Relaxing beats with a wonderful melody floating above. I love those playful sounds that jumps in and out of these tracks. Track 5 goes another direction. Here we get some kind if electronic jazz. This track is actually remixed by J. Viewz (Jonathan Dagan) from Israel, who is one half of the famous duo called Violet Vision. Pretty experimental jazzy vibe with a lot of great variation. Fantastic! Track 6 has a bit more melancholic vibe, still with fresh psychedelic sounds swirling and jumping in all the way through. The last track on CD 1 is a totally floating track with some eastern vibes. Very deep and mystic. What a great first CD!

CD 2 called Prima Materia starts with a beautiful, varied track. Very psychedelic all the way through, with fantastic sounds, great melodies and even some twisted vocals. Track 2 on the second CD goes darker and more mystic. A very deep sound with an eastern vibe written all over it. Totally relaxing. Track 3 is a nice journey of slow beats and mystic sounds, perfect for chilling out in the evening or at night. This track was originally made by Sounds From The Ground, but here we get a remix by Bluetech. Track 4 has a very floating vibe with dubby beats and weird melodies. Nice one. Track 5 is the jazz influenced track we got in CD 1, with relaxing, playful electronic piano etc. This is a more dubby version of it. Track 6 is a pretty happy chill track, with great melodies and funny little details. Music you can never get bored of. Track 7 has also got some dub ingredients, but also tons of beautiful sounds and melodies, including some relaxing guitar and flute in the middle. Great track. Track 8 has some intense, rolling melodies that remind me a little bit of Entheogenic. Quite psychedelic track. Track 9 is more experimental. Here we get thrown into really far out, weird, psychedelic soundscapes. Very mystic, almost scary sounds. Track 10 is another favourite on this album. Heavy, dubby beats and some fantastic sounds swirling around. The last track we get on CD 2 is a short little track that slows us totally down, with some very melancholic piano and floating sounds. A beautiful finish on the album.

With this release you get two CD’s of fantastic chill out music for you listening. Great variation in and between the tracks on both CD’s. Definitely one of the biggest surprises this year and for sure one of the best releases on the chill out marked. Recommended!

PK

• 3 weeks later...

Bluetech - Elementary Particles & Prima Materia (Aleph Zero Records)

Artist: Bluetech (Evan)

Title: Elementary Particles & Prima Materia

Label: Aleph Zero Records http://www.alephzero.info

Cat: AlephZ02

Genre: Psychedelic

Playtime: 44:09 + 67:18 = 111:27

Elementary Particles Tracklist:

01 Elementary Particles (Re-Edit) 08:12

02 Alchemie Dub 06:43

03 Cosmologic 07:32

04 Koinonea 06:30

05 Prayers For Rain (J.Viewz Remix) 04:59

06 Oleander 07:08

07 Worthy 03:05

Prima Materia Tracklist:

01 Leaving Babylon 06:45

02 Prophetic Sines 06:18

03 Triangle (Retriangulated) 07:04

04 Rubicon 05:59

05 Prayers For Rain (Dub Mix) 06:54

06 White Magnesia 05:42

07 7th Phase Dub 06:30

08 Burning Waters 06:35

09 Mezzamorphic 08:00

10 Desperate Ends 05:34

11 Cliffdiving 01:57

My copy of Stephen Hawking's "The Universe In A Nutshell" says that a elementary particle is "A particle that is believed cannot be subdivided." So all in all they're pretty small thingies. They're actually very small thingies. They're infact even smaller than the diversity in the full on side of psytrance. No way? Yes, it does sound unbelievable, but do take my word for it, it's true! If you want to know more about them then here's a good site to start with http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/

If you went to Underwater Overground or Voov or Boom or Transit this summer there's a good chance you catched Bluetech playing. I did the Transit via Boom thingy and didn't to my knowledge catch him. Was he there? I don't know! I know I was. Infact I even know who's to blame. The finger points at Boom and Transit organizations. You know some people actually came there because of the chill out.

Prima Materia has been spinning in my cdplayer for the last couple of days, the thing is really growing on me. To tell the truth my hifi is still place unknown to Elementary Particles. I've rather taken a liking to Prima Materia. It's beautiful, melodic, atmospheric and most important of all, properly fucked. This is the album that was already released, right? How was I able to miss it? Was there a hype? I don't think there was! There should have been. There should have been a big one.

And now for something completely different.

It's been like two months now that I received this cd. And still at this very moment all that I've written of it can be found above. It wasn't supposed to go like this. I'm pretty lazy bastard, but still there must have been more to it. Back to the point. The album is good. It's way more than that. You saw that coming didn't you? But damn, you have to admit that it's a monster to review! Sure I could tell the basic shit like it's Aleph Zero's second release, first one being Shulman's In search of a meaningful moment and that the other cd of these two was released at some label already and umm, that's pretty much all I know. Well the guy, Bluetech I mean, his name, it's Evan. He also goes by the name Evan Bluetech, but seriously, that's not his last name now is it? I bet you a million euros!

It still remains to be decided which one I like the best. Elementary Particles lived in my sterea for around two weeks and now Prima Materia has a good ten day streak thingy going on. And this is the second round! No stand out tracks either, although I always and I mean always find that at some track (both album's got one) I find my concentration to the music increasing.

What the hell is the music like? In one word. The music is ”good”. In two words. The music is ”very good”. It's infact so good that it takes way more than two words to put it properly. It's sort of like classical music although it's nothing like classical music. It's sort of psychedelic but it's definitely not psychedelic in that eat mushrooms and take chemicals kind of way. It's more like comfy warm - that sky is sort of psychedelic and I like the stars - sort of thingy. Or the moon perhaps. The moon is big, nice, comfy and yellow! If Shpongle's ”Are You Shpongled” is the Death Star and ”Tales Of The Inexpressible” is Earth then this one is definitely the Moon. Why? How the hell should I know? It just is. Just like the Moon orbits Earth and Earth orbits the Sun and Death star could blow the whole fucking thing up in a second.

On the thank yous list thingy Evan tanks the Source, the Light and the Breath. It's a good thing he does for you can really feel their bid all the way thru. It took me like more than a month to realize but then it finally came to me. Just like a minute ago actually. I think that this album has that "not from our scene" feeling thingy. You know. You don't? Nevermind then, because I don't either. But anyways that's one of the strong holds of this album. It's as if this guy Evan has never ever before heard of "our music" and so he's doing his own style thingy, which granted, isn't that completely different to say Shpongle or Shulman or well you know the general psychedelic chill out. Now I could go on and on about this but if you don't hear it then don't. It probably isn't there anyways and I'm just audionicating. That's a new word for sure! Actually I bet I'm horrbily wrong.

The other reviews out there and here already describe the album to a point so there really is no point in going deeper. Have you come across a negative review yet? I sure haven't. Someone was saying something in the manner of "a bit minimal". I'd say he must have been listening to low bitrate mp3s for the sound is rich in this disc. The force aint weak either. =)

The artwork is beautiful, did I mention that yet? I don't think I did. J.Viewz of Violet Vision seems to only come up with quality tracks and a bad track from him remains to be heard. I don't see it coming anytime soon to say the least. Should you buy this album? If you dig the psychedelic side of chillout you probably should. If you're bored of psytrance then there's even more reason for the purchase. If you're just a mp3 lamer this one here is a great chance to change your way. Goes well on the same cd rack with Shpongle, Shulman, Ott, Life Is series, Kaya Project and all in all the ever growing insanity.

Now I should probably write way more, for this album does deserve it. Notice, when I say ”this album”, I'm actually talking about the whole release, both albums. But I have no words. You can't concentrate on writing when you listen to it and somehow you forget the music the minute it stops playing. It doesn't wear out that's for sure. Well that's it for now..

Massive respect for Bluetech and Alep Zero for this brave release..

• 2 months later...

Just got this 2 CD album about a week ago and I can say hands down it's my favorite album of 2004..

This album should be getting A LOT more attention - it's so much better than the Abakus album or boring "yawnbient" like HUVA "Distances".. I can't believe a simple, shallow album like Abakus has gotten heaps of reviews and this one has barely been noticed!

Like others have said in their reviews this album is *really* hard to describe - it's like classical-jazzy-lounge-mushroom voyage music or something... This has got to be fantastic tripping music...

This album sounds so totally inspired, like Traveller said, it's as if this guy had never heard our type of music before. It's like he was just hanging out by himself taking mushrooms in the woods or something...

In any case this is very busy and engaging music, full of beautiful synthesizer sounds and enchanting melodies - the sounds are so clear and beautiful, they go right to the center of your brain, unbelievable production...

This reminds me a bit of Autechre "Incunabula" or some of Orbital's music, but it's much more psychedelic... It has this ultra-classy, ethereal quality, pristine chords of cosmic harmony... Nectar to the mind and soul...

Anyhow I'm glad to actually be writing a review that isn't complaining about an album for once, and I'm glad to have an album that I could call a favorite in this year - this one will be a classic in the chill-out genre, right up there with Ott, Shpongle, and Shulman....

This album should be getting A LOT more attention - it's so much better than the Abakus album or boring "yawnbient" like HUVA "Distances".. I can't believe a simple, shallow album like Abakus has gotten heaps of reviews and this one has barely been noticed!

Like others have said in their reviews this album is *really* hard to describe - it's like classical-jazzy-lounge-mushroom voyage music or something... This has got to be fantastic tripping music...

This album sounds so totally inspired, like Traveller said, it's as if this guy had never heard our type of music before. It's like he was just hanging out by himself taking mushrooms in the woods or something...

In any case this is very busy and engaging music, full of beautiful synthesizer sounds and enchanting melodies - the sounds are so clear and beautiful, they go right to the center of your brain, unbelievable production...

This reminds me a bit of Autechre "Incunabula" or some of Orbital's music, but it's much more psychedelic... It has this ultra-classy, ethereal quality, pristine chords of cosmic harmony... Nectar to the mind and soul...

Anyhow I'm glad to actually be writing a review that isn't complaining about an album for once, and I'm glad to have an album that I could call a favorite in this year - this one will be a classic in the chill-out genre, right up there with Ott, Shpongle, and Shulman....

I agree that it´s a wonderful album! I got it recently in the mail and was very happy.. not to mention the nice cover art too =)

and lol at ´yawnbient´ with huva network hahah... Indeed its somehow too slow for me, except for a couple of tracks, but some people seem to love it.

But I disagree that abakus is shallow... I like it very much..

anyway, back to bluetech.. to bad it´s so short heh? 45 mins or something...

I love it... Recomend to everybody, great stuff

Yah I like a couple of the HUVA tracks but the others I'd have to be REALLY stoned to have the patience for...

I suppose Abakus isn't so bad...

Didn't you get the other CD "Prima Materia" with "Elementary Particles" though? That one is like 65 minutes or something...

I understand your feeling... this album has got an original sound and goes very deep... :D ... the fact is that it sounds a bit easy but I don't care... mostly I dislike releases that sound cheap and not over thought... this one hasn't got that much content but every sound is just a the perfect place and right time... and that is super because then you get the feeling that a story has been told...

still abakus is also one of my favourite... I like them both :) ... maybe abakus is a bit more intilligent so does score higher on my critical vieuw on psy releases ;)

" Didn't you get the other CD "Prima Materia" with "Elementary Particles" though? That one is like 65 minutes or something..."

yeah I did... I thought you were talking only about elementary particles =)

actually I preffer elementary particles to prima materia.. There isnt one single track I dont like in elementary particles, while in prima materia, there are a couple or maybe 3 that are not gems imo.. but overal, excellent buy, very good music, artwork, etc

=)

btw.. maybe you guys should try androcell.. its different, but it also has this emotional melodic quality that abakus and bluetech have

Yeah, it is very solid, liquid psychedelic ambient. It sounds like some 5 year old wunder kid doing acid and playing with machine, but I don't mean anything bad by this, just that it sounds playful and cute and not so serious as other ambient these days...

Mini-review:

What makes the Bluetech album so cool is that it fuses IDM and psychedelic downtempo. The result is innovative and plain wonderful! The atmosphere is warm and deep. Don't miss this album because it's one the best releases of 2004.

If you like this release and have an open mind I recommend:

Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children

Plaid - Double Figure

Björk - Vespertine

Arovane - Atol Scrap

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, totally mindblowing !

Better than androcell in my opinion ..

He played at a party at NYE in my city and i missed it.. :(((((((

Man i was sad ! But i had to work the morning after and he was playing at like 6 AM ..

• 5 months later...

This album is just great. I recommend it to everyone. Also to people that don't like psytrance/goa/fullon (or whatever the other names are) that much, but who like the psy influences a lot (like me).

It reminds me a lot of orbital: beautiful very rythmic melodies, great atmosphere. Only this has more psy sounds (not more psy structure or melodies) in it and is more dubby.

I was willing to ask this for a long time, but thought that mayby there were not that much people liking orbital, but now I'm going to ask:

Are there other artists that have this kind of rythmic melodies (like orbital). Breakbeat and also 4/4 beat music that is not like the average psytrance where the melodies are always the same and not realy rythmic. The beats are always the same,...

Or music with a lot other influences like in bluetech - Prayers For Rain (J.Viewz Remix).

I need syncopic rythms and most of all syncopic melodies (if you know what I mean)

I know already and like:

Ott

Juno Reactor

sugestions???

Wow, one of few albums that almost get no bad reviews at all... and it shouldnt! This is most definitely without any doubt the best thing i bought in 2004. I've listened to it A LOT of times and I still listen to it. That has to mean something!

And yes: it is great music to trip on. Prima Materia was playing the first time I smoked dmt and i've grown more fond of both dmt and bluetech. Also: that hás to mean something! :D

Maybe brilliant is the right word? Fantastabulous!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I think "Prima Materia" is a nice album. It's slightly experimental and it has some groovy parts. I can hear many small details here and there. Not an average chill release. I need to listen to more from this artist to figure out his sound for myself. But first impressions are good.