About the reviews...

cangrejo

Ok here's what I think about the reviews. First of all, everyone has their own taste of music and that can't be helped so I don't really care about it.

Second of all. I've never seen a review get less than 8/10. I guess this is partly because I haven't read all of the reviews, but most of all since everyone is reviewing their favourite artists/labels.

That being said:

Discuss (so what if it's been brought up before, just discuss anyway)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second of all. I've never seen a review get less than 8/10. I guess this is partly because I haven't read all of the reviews, but most of all since everyone is reviewing their favourite artists/labels.

359348[/snapback]

yes very good... you cracked the case ;)

why am i going to bother writing a review that i wouldn't personally recommend to other people? there are exceptions but i'm not going to search for them now ;)

p.s: have you read basilisk's reviews? half of his stuff i would not call positive and he explains his reasons well...

Guest Astro Cortex

Ok here's what I think about the reviews. First of all, everyone has their own taste of music and that can't be helped so I don't really care about it.

That being said:

Discuss (so what if it's been brought up before, just discuss anyway)

359348[/snapback]

I don't see what's your point somehow. If you have a similar taste to that of a specific reviewer, it is logical that you tend to agree with him/her more than with others. The more you find out about the overall taste of the reviewers, the more helpful the reviews can be for you. This is totally obvious.

And why should you review something or even bother listening to it, if you're not the slightest bit interested in it? Sure I could write negative reviews of the stuff that I don't like, but it becomes kind of pointless if the style of the respective artist or label isn't to my taste at all or if I havent't heard enough in that style to be able to compare it to other releases in the same category.

It's not fun writing a whole page about a mediocre (according to you) release. However i think you can find lower grades in the shorter replies.

And then if someone you know has a similar taste gives a high grade, put it on your list =)

Guest Astro Cortex

If you listen to something with high expectations but are disappointed with it, then of course it makes sense to give a negative review as a warning to all who expect it to be good. But that rarely happens to me, so you will rarely get to read negative reviews from me ;)

And why should you review something or even bother listening to it, if you're not the slightest bit interested in it? Sure I could write negative reviews of the stuff that I don't like, but it becomes kind of pointless if the style of the respective artist or label isn't to my taste at all or if I havent't heard enough in that style to be able to compare it to other releases in the same category.

359365[/snapback]

I dont get the idea that it's pointless to write negative reviews. If there's no negative reviews to balance out the in my opinion way too many "clap our hands and jump of joy" praising reviews I see here and on isratrance then it all become a bit to "sucking up" and "oh we love you" kind of reviews. And just as when a movie or a show sux and get bad reviews in the newspapers it's perfectly ok to say a CD sux here as long as the reviewer explain why.

I dont get the idea that it's pointless to write negative reviews. If there's no negative reviews to balance out the in my opinion way too many "clap our hands and jump of joy" praising reviews I see here and on isratrance then it all become a bit to "sucking up" and "oh we love you" kind of reviews.  And just as when a movie or a show sux and get bad reviews in the newspapers it's perfectly ok to say a CD sux here as long as the reviewer explain why.

359372[/snapback]

Kris, I know what you mean Kris, but then again, I chose the reviewers that I am reading reviews from, because they have similar choise to what I have. I htink the problem is not how they reiview, its WHAT they review :)

To all: You have to keep in mind that the people here review stuff that they buy in record shops, and they buy it because they like it. I think it would be a total diffrent story, if they got nice promos from ALL KINDS of labels.

Radio stations/News Papers etc etc, they get their promos, and can keep a broader variation of reviewers/reviews.....

I put a lot of time into my reviews, so even though I agree that we need more negative in-depth reviews, I almost only make extensive track by track reviews of stuff that I like. It's just not that interesting to sit for hours listening to something you really don't like, and writing about it. To me it's only a small hobby.

I try to contribute to review-threads about most of the stuff I buy with shorter reviews though, regardless if I like it or not.

I put a lot of time into my reviews, so even though I agree that we need more negative in-depth reviews, I almost only make extensive track by track reviews of stuff that I like. It's just not that interesting to sit for hours listening to something you really don't like, and writing about it. To me it's only a small hobby.

I try to contribute to review-threads about most of the stuff I buy with shorter reviews though, regardless if I like it or not.

359383[/snapback]

Ok let's make a deal. I'll provide psynews and isratrance with the negative reviews ;) Just as long as people remember not to take it personal. I did a review of Squaremeat at Isratrance and wrote exactly why I thought it was a bad CD. I was almost lynched haha :D

Just one question. Some of you "pro" reviwers surely get some promos from labels. Aren't there any bad CD among those promos? Why not then review them too? After all the labels hopefully want the naked truth or?

Edited by Kris

Ok let's make a deal. I'll provide psynews and isratrance with the negative reviews ;)  Just as long as people remember not to take it personal. I did a review of Squaremeat at Isratrance and wrote exactly why I thought it was a bad CD.  I was almost lynched haha  :D

359385[/snapback]

Please go ahead :)

Just one question. Some of you "pro" reviwers surely get some promos from labels. Aren't there any bad CD among those promos?  Why not then review them too? After all the labels hopefully want the naked truth or?

359385[/snapback]

I can honestly say that all the promos I've received so far, I've either found above average, good or really good. But ok, I don't receive 20 promos each month like DP, Damion, PKS, guy cohen etc - and so far I've only recieved promos from progressive labels.

It you can get me on the promo-list for Chemical Crew for instance, I'll be more than happy to write some very extensive reviews of their upcoming releases ;)

The +3 minutes samples at Saikosounds are worth about a 100000 times more than any review. Besides most (if not all) reviews here & there are boring generic crap. imo of course

edit.

damion has some funny ones once in a blue moon.. but that's about it

what people seem to forget is that this is a forum and reviews are food for thought, you can agree or disagree with them. Likewise you can very well state your point of view or opinion on the respective threads. I think having a number of bad comments and good comments on a CD adds a lot more weight to 'overall picture'

Ok let's make a deal. I'll provide psynews and isratrance with the negative reviews ;)  Just as long as people remember not to take it personal. I did a review of Squaremeat at Isratrance and wrote exactly why I thought it was a bad CD.  I was almost lynched haha  :D

359385[/snapback]

there's also the matter of not liking or understanding certain musical styles. I don't go around reviewing minimal tribal morning progressive 'cause it's not my cup of tea and I don't know it very well. I accept the fact that I don't understand it, and it's a matter of respect for people who do enjoy it and understand it - so I generally stay away from reviewing that style of music.

I only like reading sincere, subjective reviews... starting-point should be your own taste and your own knowledge and experience with music.

I like reading a review that describes what the reviewer feels when he's listening... when he describes what the music is like in his own words... it could be very positive or very negative and everything in between....music = emotion

people who try to be objective about music are full of crap

I only like reading sincere, subjective reviews... starting-point should be your own taste and your own knowledge and experience with music.

I like reading a review that describes what the reviewer feels when he's listening... when he describes what the music is like in his own words... it could be very positive or very negative and everything in between....music = emotion

people who try to be objective about music are full of crap

359500[/snapback]

Yes, reading higly subjective reviews (long ones) is very pleasurable indeed =] even more than objective ones, I'd say.

However there is need for objective reviews, I can't agree with you... There is a small number of people able to write a nice subjective review, most do the following "Unrsld killargh psy killlllaargh!!!!1" or something like that. So you can't trust everyone - only the ones you know.

What I don't like about reviews is that :) they are not objective... for example, I feel synthetic touch in some of the reviews of guys that get free promo CDs... it's like they receive a free CD so they have to make a positive review (or not a bashing one) so they will keep receiving CDs and are such nice guys... <_<

Also I'd like the rules to stricken reviewers for full lenght track-by-track ones... only!

there's also the matter of not liking or understanding certain musical styles. I don't go around reviewing minimal tribal morning progressive 'cause it's not my cup of tea and I don't know it very well. I accept the fact that I don't understand it, and it's a matter of respect for people who do enjoy it and understand it - so I generally stay away from reviewing that style of music.

359478[/snapback]

Well of course I do not review music I dont consider my "ball game". But there's enough bad releases withing my "ball game" to make reviews from now on and eternity ;)

im really confused between objective and subjective :huh:

when im writting something, i try to talk about why the song was good/bad with a few details so you'll know it sounds like russian full on and not... like ticon...

as far as i'm concerned why not be both? i present the song so even if i didn't like it (and i ussually say so), other people might pick on the cues and if i did like it - i mention it too... is there really more to it?

I review a lot in dutch on another forum not this one...

1. off course you review the releases you like cause you want to share that and people want to know it's good...

2. reviewing a release you like is more pleasant and your review is much better cause you feel the music

3. nowdays If I should review everything that I don't like I should write 10 reviews a day.... :rolleyes:

reviewing cost time my friend, and off course you spend that time in reviewing in the ones you like ;)