3. Inner Inca
4. The King And Eye
5. Bube (The Tube)
6. Happiness (OOOD Remix) - FORUFREEZER
7. Dum Dum
8. English Pizza (OOOD Remix) - OOOD AND LOOPUS IN FABULA
9. Shpiral
10. Eye Of The Beholder (Sonic Species rmx) - OOOD AND OTT

I haven't listened to an O.O.O.D. album since aLive. Is that wrong? It was so good that I didn't want to f*ck any of it up by listening to their style change. Stupid really, because as any artist will tell you, unless you're Boris Blenn your music should evolve and grow. I know they made other albums...the one with the egg thingy and then the brains on the cover. Never heard them so...I'm guessing they're not making goa any longer?

Nope. They do more.

Let's start with the project which is a four piece outfit that plays live with real drums, guitars, and keyboards. They just don't stand behind a deck and twiddle knobs while getting blown by a groupie. They're actual musicians so they have talent. I mean, they're DJ's too, so they probably get their fair share of chicks with daddy issues. Aside from their first album, all I know is that Colin has made a name for himself in the mastering field. So what are they up to?

Eclectic. Original. I would say their style on this album is psychedelic and would call it Suomi-like, if they were looney toon Finns. But they're from the UK and the craziest people I met when I was over there were the soccer fans. Dems some crazy f*ckers. I love hockey, but I'll be damned if I wanna fight anyone over it.

There are all kinds of crazy sound manipulation going on all the while getting that groove going. It's out there at times, I mean who would think of putting Elvis and a 303 together? They did, and it's damn good. Bube (The Tube) is some funky sh*t Crystal Method would be proud of. That bass is pure filth and volatile fuel for the dance fire. They play with different rhythms and draw from a lot of genres. Sometimes it's techno or breakbeat or...whatever, but rest assured it's always with an eye for you people to shake your tukus. Like moving the back end? I defy you not to get down to English Pizza. It's like the soul train awards up in here.

9zYlx1P.gif

"Hey blonde chick! Get back behind the decks! Save your talent for the uh, talent!"

Also I wanted to note that they didn't end with the cliche downtempo number. Nope, they tore the doors off with a pretty good storming track full of bass snarls and more pounding than a headache.

The sound quality is top notch so you hear every note and sound they intended. Is it perfect? Of course not. I would say there isn't one track that you simply must hear. They all have their quality moments, but nothing stands out head and shoulders above the rest. And when that happens you have to really pay attention to detail because when you hear a cracker you know it. You feel it. And that guy isn't here. But the funky stuff is here for all to enjoy. And if you pay attention you will also appreciate the detail behind this. Yeah it's not goa, but you know what?

Grow up.

Psyshop

Beatspace

Goastore

Mdk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I like this album a lot. None of the tracks have something really special, but somehow they keep me interested. I guess it's the combination of the groovy beats and a more happy, non-cheesy attitude. I prefer this style over the more organic of Free Range.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

This album has grown over time. I like Inner Inca and Dum Dum now, both really crank up the psychedelia. I guess whats missing is the rhythm that gets one into a state of trance in the other tracks , i mean there are nice build ups and all to keep the listener interested but that quickly gets lost if you dont take those build ups to their logical destination. They are not bad in any way mind you , it could have just been sooooo much better. 7/10

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Artist: O.O.O.D.

Title: You Think You Are

By now, most psytrance heads know that the reason why we as sonic spectators rarely get to experience OOOD live on the yearly festivals around the globe, is mainly due to the fact that they as a live group, consist of 4 interactive members. And four (musicians, dj's) members of a humble yet powerful and quality marked psychedelic trance act without being a typical household name who pulls shitloads of prty-ppl, are usually expensive to book – especially with travel & accommodations in mind, organizers (who are often looking for income security more then a psychedelic security..) do not get out of bed all that often to book OOOD in full. But of course the OOOD's wants to be booked, so they have solutions for you if your event wants to make something OOOD happen ---- So regardless of OOOD's high quality throughout the 24 years of existance (imagine that, 24 years .. thats a long time, Babas), they are not really that commercially or mainstreamingly known, except maybe for their -now old- «Just a Ride» track with the famous Bill Hicks roller coaster sample, which isn't even by OOOD, but by Voice of Cod consisting of only 1 OOOD member. 

OOOD has -as many know- been in the scene providing quality Psychedelic Goa-trance music since the mid. 90's. And for the last 10 years or so the more active OOOD on the webs, Colin, has among others made quite the goood impression on providing sought-after mastering for labels and artists. Which pays, and also gives OOOD (The Stooodio) general attention and remembrance. Else I know Steve OOOD is an active dude as well. Maybe a new OOOD album is in the making? It's been about 6 years since this You Think Yoo Are album on Vertigo Records.. 

So I read remarks that this quite brilliant You Think You Are album by OOOD doesn't have any «hits», a track that stands out from the rest of the album outside the overall albums eclectic gloryness and groove. I disagree on this. The intro track «K.A.R.R. - album edit» starting with a cutie greeting and the promise to be protected by a knight... is one amazing ride. I often come back to this track which in return leads me to listen through most if not all of the album. Let's say that I come for the strong kick, and stay for the mesmerizing content. The huge amount of pleasurable and ear catching subtle details which is all over (!!!!) in such positively felt ways, is of pure psychedelic technoided QUALITY. Which kinda makes this whole album a hit not needing or wanting a «stand-out-track». The album in the most pleasurable way remind me a lot of Koxbox's «The Great Unknown». Such variation without loosing its homogeneousness. It's funky, detailed and smooth, techno-cidered full-on, with highly psychedelic oddness (Them bends, man. Such amaze), and the overall groove with pearly details layered beautifully makes this album to be a tasty and flavorful cake with many jummy tastes. Great production and so so much to whetstone your ears, body and mind on! The cover-art and its motive is really nice, and reflects the album very nicely.

So yeah, Oh Oh Oh D.... what a fly album. Enjoy the ride. Totally groovey. And pretty hoovering actually. Sturdy and solid but also soft and damn funky, pretty wise as well. Drums from the deep calls all psychedelic blaster master ravers. O.O.O.D. which obviously is a stretching of the -jut of land- word «odd», is a shortening for Out Of Our Depths. Which is coool. These psychedelic people, the OOOD, really smell like the best of people. Full of love, humour, compassion and understanding - also comes off as somewhat openminded yet sceptic - not being blind nor rejecting. Right now, I'm so hungry I'd love to go for a english pizza with pepperoni on the train-station. I'm flexi-vegan btw. I know I am.

oood.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Discogs user Maroko left this review on the album release page in 2015:
https://www.discogs.com/OOOD-You-Think-You-Are/master/497562

You know the movie "Crank" with Jason Statham? Remember when Chev Chelios, the lead character, gets juiced by a hit from a defibrillator, speeding his heart rate to the extreme and sending him into an adrenaline daredevil frenzy?
If you do, "You Think You Are" is the musical equivalent of that experience.

O.O.O.D. have been around and doing their thing for twenty years now, and while they were always heralded as a highly creative and talented collective, they were always a sword's edge away from delivering a full blown masterpiece. From "ALive" through to "Free Range", all of their albums unleash more quality than you could squeeze out of a kitchen sponge. Yet, somehow, when most representative albums within the realms of psychedelic trance are brought up, O.O.O.D. are frequently left out. Regularly praised upon initial release, with time their full lengths manage to get overshadowed by releases which at the time had more mass appeal, or for various reasons, struck a chord better with the audience.

That said, "You Think You Are" is that album we all knew knew (hoped) that O.O.O.D. could always deliver, and here it is. Building upon two full decades of active music making and globe touring, this album simply absorbs the finest aspect of modern psy trance and combines it with meticulous production vaults, genuine melody work and a plethora of far out effects that put most to shame. It is pointless to do a detailed track by track review, as in my ears this album does not have a stand out tune. No lead singles here. This entire album is one gargantuan lead single, and that is its greatest achievement. No pigeonholing and style trainspotting here. These four lads dig deeply and expertly combine old schoolish reckless attitude with modern sound design and intricacy. Best of all, is that this album doesn't lose its dance floor friendly purpose for a single second. Where most sacrifice complexity and craftsmanship in order to succumb to current dance podiums, or dive so far deep into contemplative sound structures that they lose track of fun & funk, O.O.O.D. take no prisoners and unload both, densely twisted psychedelia and dance-away-like-nobody's watching beefed-up beats. It has seriously been a while since a psy trance album worked so easily on so many levels.

Where many veterans got lost in the shuffle, either (un)successfully trying keep up with the ever changing trends and hold their own against a new breed of producers, or worse yet, are completely lost trying to regain former glory, O.O.O.D. keep growing from album to album. Don forget that, after all, this is dance music. When it is this good, and when it transcends styles and trends, coming across this fun despite the fact it's not a goofy full-on album intended to last half of a festival season, you slowly start to appreciate it for the sheer beauty it is.

If the last few efforts of their were close but no cigar, then this is that masterpiece we've been waiting for. It took a while to get there, but who's complaining? Most artists can only wish to craft ten tracks this good in their entire recording career, and here you ave them laid out across a single plastic surface. You really don't have to be a psy trance nutter to appreciate an album of this caliber. Recommended to all who are into uplifting, powerful and challenging electronic music. What a pleasant ride "You Think You Are" is. The cover art is eye candy as well.
In my opinion, this is a future classic, and undoubtedly the finest O.O.O.D. album to date. A tour de force of modern psychedelic trance, a celebration of blasting beats and spine tingling audio trickery. A psychedelic joie de vivre .

Hop on for the ride or you're missing out on something truly special and unique. Yes, I said it, unique.

• 1 year later...

Like others said there isn't any single track that stands out but what makes this album a masterpiece is the sum of it's parts and unapologetic moments of uncomfortable dissonant weirdness seamlessly woven into some of the hardest grooves you'll find and then dissolving into nonsense again over and over throughout the album.  You are conditioned by the end of the second track to just lean into the weird moments because they've got a seriously energetic satisfying groove coming out the other end and not in spite of the weirdness but the weirdness meets halfway with the groove and they give each other a context that they just wouldn't have separately.  This is easily the most faithful and powerful psytrance work I've heard as a whole if the goal is to put you in that psychedelic headspace due to the no holds barred approach to making you uncomfortable for brief moments only to be paid off in spades minutes later. 

• Like 1