Freestyle Genre-less Stuff

Tsotsi

Hey gang,

I saw a thread that has been removed (I guess) that was discussing 'freestyle music'

I'm after albums that don't really sit inside any genre. Maybe early pioneer stuff from the 90's, or something you would expect someone to make the comment 'before we had defined genre's' about.

Any recommendations would be great, the latest 'Sibilant - Proper Filth' is my only real reference point, or stuff by Sab Kuch Milegator.

Yes, if you are looking for experimental then definitely Psy-Harmonics and Demon Tea, also Devic Craft Cordings, WMS Records, it's mostly Australian stuff. 

If you like Sibilant then you might check 21-3 Records but I wouldn't call that freestyle / experimental,  it's begginning of psybreaks. 

Sab Kuch Milegator is unique forest goa, something maybe similar would maybe be Kiriyama. 

12 hours ago, Padmapani said:

talpa - when the somberness becomes the game comes to my mind.

A fun album with a nice concept, I really like the album artwork :) Although I would definitely not have a problem defining its style. It's on the border of darker melodic psy but also has some slight humour and also some melancholy. Stylewise it harkens back to some of Infected Mushrooms albums, B.P Empire perhaps and some small inspirations from The Gathering, Classical Mushroom  and Converting Vegetarians. It has a funky element too, and I'm sure it has inspirations from other contemporary styles/artists as well that I don't know about. But it's certainly Psytrance through and through. A very distinct Talpa-spin on it.:) Perhaps the humouristic touches are influenced by that aspect of Suomisaundi?

9 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

A fun album with a nice concept, I really like the album artwork :) Although I would definitely not have a problem defining its style. It's on the border of darker melodic psy but also has some slight humour and also some melancholy. Stylewise it harkens back to some of Infected Mushrooms albums, B.P Empire perhaps and some small inspirations from The Gathering, Classical Mushroom  and Converting Vegetarians. It has a funky element too, and I'm sure it has inspirations from other contemporary styles/artists as well that I don't know about. But it's certainly Psytrance through and through. A very distinct Talpa-spin on it.:) Perhaps the humouristic touches are influenced by that aspect of Suomisaundi?

it's neither progressive nor fullon nor darkpsy nor goa. and imho it's too weird and non-psy-like in sound choices to be compared to the classic psytrance of the early 00s (such as psysex, hux flux, ...)

1 hour ago, Padmapani said:

it's neither progressive nor fullon nor darkpsy nor goa. and imho it's too weird and non-psy-like in sound choices to be compared to the classic psytrance of the early 00s (such as psysex, hux flux, ...)

I see your point, but for me atleast it's melodic Psy-Trance with a pinch of darkness. Just because it doesn't fit neatly into the sub-genres you mentioned, doesn't mean it's genre-less? :) The same could be said of Infected Mushroom, experimental Psy-Trance sure. But for example the two first albums are certainly on the darker side at times, and most would agree that they made Psy-Trance. And those albums are certainly some of Talpa's points of inspiration. So whatever category people like to put early Infected Mushroom into, Talpa can be put too. It's all Psy-Trance, maybe not as generic as most that fit into the Dark-Psy, Full-On categories etc. And by generic I don't mean anything negative, just that those tend to abide rather strictly to some widely used formula.

It's like pop music or synth-pop or whatever, there are myriads of stylistic variations, unique expressions. Genre-less to me implies that's something that can't really be placed in a genre, stuff that might sound like house music, but with perhaps some acid touches or jazz melodies, dubstep or hardstyle features, or whatever. I don't think this Talpa album is that extremely out of the Psy-Trance boundaries at all. It follows most of the stylistic features set up by his precursors within the Psy-Trance scene. With regards to the type of kick drums used, the type of Psychedelic sounds used, the modulation/filtering of sounds so very typical for the genre.

I think a good definition is that if the music is played or can be played the Psy-Trance floor on Psy-Trance events/parties, then it belongs to the genre. Even if those parties would have specific DJ's playing different styles, the music would fit into the overall atmosphere, certainly with the night time style or the goa styles. This talpa album would only really fit in that type of context. Like for example forest parties here in Sweden, it would fit right in there. I even remember Dark-Psy DJ's playing Talpas stuff in the late 2000's here in Sweden. I think some of the tracks onTalpa's album in question would fit well in a DJ-mix with for example Hallucinogen - Gamma Goblins pt 2. It would also blene well with the Infected Mushroom track Return of The Shadows. So essentially with some darker Goa Trance/Psy Trance.

Perphaps Talpa's style will branch off and become its own sub-genre, Dark Melodic Serbian Psytrance or something? :) As is often the case with styles that are different enough after a while to form a new direction, if there are others which follow and keep developing the style that is.

If we take a look at the discogs entry for the Talpa album in question it says:

Talpa ‎– When The Somberness Becomes A Game

Genre:

Electronic

Style:

Psy-Trance, Goa Trance

Year:

So why complicate things further? :) Sounds perfectly fine to me. And yes discogs might not have the finer details when it comes to sub-genres yet in the Psy/Goa category. If we take a look at his spotify artist page it says that he nowadays consider himself a "Psy-Progressive artist". Or maybe the labels made the spotify entry I don't now. :) Either way, the album in question is definitely not Progressive Psy. But I guess that Progressive Psy is the style he might be into now. I haven't listened to his newer output actually.

If his discogs page profile is anything to go by this is what it says:

Talpa

Горан Јурић (Goran Jurić)

Profile:

Talpa a.k.a. Goran Juric was born on 22nd of July, 1982 in Palic, Serbia. The very first idea for this project he got in November 1999 attending the big techno/trance party "TraNSplant 2" in Serbia. Produces a very unique psychedelic trance music.

12 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

I see your point, but for me atleast it's melodic Psy-Trance with a pinch of darkness. Just because it doesn't fit neatly into the sub-genres you mentioned, doesn't mean it's genre-less? :) 

i think we interpret the topic a little differently. as i see it tsotsi is asking about psytrance that doesn't fit neatly into sub-categories instead of music that doesn't fit into any sort of genre (and therefore cannot be psytrance at all).

10 minutes ago, Padmapani said:

i think we interpret the topic a little differently. as i see it tsotsi is asking about psytrance that doesn't fit neatly into sub-categories instead of music that doesn't fit into any sort of genre (and therefore cannot be psytrance at all).

Yes you're probably right :D It's a bit vague, then again it's in the general psy section. @Tsotsi would you mind explain a bit more what you mean specifically with this freestyle genre-less stuff? I think I interpreted it a bit too literally lol. And went overboard with it. :P

Do you mean like stuff that was featured on for example psy/goa compilations that felt out of place? Or albums/EP's and so on that was marketed as psy but felt like something else entirely?

For what's worth I agree with AstralSphinx about yhe Talpa biz.

And for me pulling this out makes me feel dated: https://www.discogs.com/Psyknights-A-Faint-Light-From-The-Depth/master/23266

Not Talpa: 
https://procs.bandcamp.com/album/touchdown-in-hizzytown-lost-theory-2012

Pigeonholing music kinda ruins it #PSYTRANCE :wub: is in it self withour rules or boanderies. What matters is it it is Psychedelic or not, something you'øl more or less truly realize on a trip ..  :ph34r: objectivity?-retorical. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psytones said:

For what's worth I agree with AstralSphinx about yhe Talpa biz.

And for me pulling this out makes me feel dated: https://www.discogs.com/Psyknights-A-Faint-Light-From-The-Depth/master/23266

Not Talpa: 
https://procs.bandcamp.com/album/touchdown-in-hizzytown-lost-theory-2012

Pigeonholing music kinda ruins it #PSYTRANCE :wub: is in it self withour rules or boanderies. What matters is it it is Psychedelic or not, something you'øl more or less truly realize on a trip ..  :ph34r: objectivity?-retorical. 

Good point, that's how I fell in love with this genre. It just felt alien, and truly captured the essence of the LSD-experience. Albeit in audio for most part, and sometimes with nice complementary artwork. It should be a free artform like that with seemingly endless creative possibilites. It must've felt so liberating for the early pioneers of this genre to not feel the need to be restrained by the more restrictive style boundaries within other, at the time well-defined genres. Certainly if we compare the more colorful expression of early Goa Trance, to the mostly black and white spectrum of the Techno and Acid genres of the time. The limitless pervasive nature of the Goa and Psy genres are really its defining characteristics if you ask me. :)  

@psytones nice track, the procs one, has a Gamma Goblins vibe going :) but with a tribalistic touch.

Yes you're really right, and well spoken .. Some artworks man, know the psychedelic secret(s). I can do nothing but utter respect and admiration. Thanks for your spot on post. 

This normal artwork has always facinated me, because it's so ,,normal" and in it's own right, creepy. An old painted portrait of someone. I never did look at it on a psychedelic. 
https://demontearecordings.bandcamp.com/album/odd-harmonic-coincidentalism

PS. I've been told by Hutti Heita that he and Procs pioneered the modern Forest bass/kick thingy like 20 years ago or so. Not together, just in general. I find that statement interesting. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry i saw the posts throughout the day and figured it was doing fine, but yea, I was pretty vague. 

1 hour ago, AstralSphinx said:

It must've felt so liberating for the early pioneers of this genre to not feel the need to be restrained by the more restrictive style boundaries within other, at the time well-defined genres

"This exactly^
I'm looking for early works from artists, not necessarily freestyle but stuff that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that comment would belong on. So still trance, still psytrance even, but a unique early works that people would consider 'unrestricted'. Dragon Twins and Cronomi's releases I suppose are a good modern take on what i'm after. 

Or fuck it even a well known freestyle album. 

Damn this is very vague. I checked out the Demon Tea backlog and thought they had way more in their catalog than the 1 release per year situation (Just cause of how they are referenced a lot) anyway the albums I did listen to where close to what I want. But for the first time ever I'm looking for something a little more well known, maybe 'That' album. 

BTW I listened to the Talpa album (Great album, very unique) all morning and if it wasn't introduced to me in this thread I would've just taken the easy road and called it 'psytrance'. That's the beautiful part of that name, you can choose to take it literally and then anything psychedelic + anything trance fits in.....But ignore that perspective for the purpose of this thread :P  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is the 3rd track on this EP kinda what you're thinking about? Genrewise it's quite the original and crossover style by the Artist. https://kaliearth.bandcamp.com/album/balder-ep and I'd say the 2nd track is also that, original style .. Track one is also that maybe but for sure more mimic'ing the Forest style .. 

7 hours ago, psytones said:

Is the 3rd track on this EP kinda what you're thinking about? Genrewise it's quite the original and crossover style by the Artist. https://kaliearth.bandcamp.com/album/balder-ep and I'd say the 2nd track is also that, original style .. Track one is also that maybe but for sure more mimic'ing the Forest style .. 

Haha, funny you mention this, I just shot a quick vid for this yesterday. Been on my mind since I got it.

Not quiet the music in mind for this topic though. 

Think closer to 90's artists that 'were free to make trance without any presets or predefined styles 'restricting' them'

Out of the box thinking or a style that didn't hit mainstream.

• Thanks 1

Here's something I'd percieve as genreless:

...Psytrance or Trance or Tribal Industrial?

By the way, I think that This Morn' Omina is way underrated on this forum -_-

...again: what is it: Psytrance? Nah. Industrial? Nah. Genreless? Maybe. It certainly is a way to make the otherwise cheesy and bubblegum-like indian samples sound sharply on point ... and awesome, in my opinion. "Look up - and know!" :)

there seems to be a psytrance mix of this btw, but it's on an obscure sampler and I was not able to find it till now

...and now for something completely different:

...Psychill or HipHop or TripHop?

genreless! :)

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I decided to search 'Cookie-Cutter' into the psynews global search and came across people opinions of Crossing Minds - Inner Shift album.

This thread had a wealth of comments that sort of indicate the opinions towards the music i was looking for. Even though we can easily call this Goa, I think the comments praising it as unique and one of a kind are closer to the sort of album I was looking for.

Bad thread title on my behalf

Another mention in the thread was Jikkenteki which fits the mold. And I think maybe peoples opinions of X-Dream Radio would also illicit opinions of praise for complete originality and out of the box thinking....hmm, out of the box, that gives me an idea.

If anyone is still interested with this then I hope this helps clarify much more than every other terrible attempt from me so far :)

• 1 month later...

Huh okay so I was a bit in a wrong direction to waht you wanted there :D

However, if you throw in X-Dream's Radio there, I'd say Hux Flux - Cryptic Crunch? Has equal amount of "personality" - let's call it that - in my opinion. Not genreless though, but X-Dream isn't either :)

Son Kite - Prisma comes to mind. THAT is quite out of the box thinking in my opinion. Especially their last album is the farthest out there I'd say - previous works I prefer though, because that was good old progressive as we know it - even though Colors was quite modern already B)