The Psynews Track?? (second try)

18 minutes ago, recursion loop said:

Will you be making the kick and the bass? Maybe make these first and then  tell us the key and the exact bpm?

I used Veracohrs file but all drums/percs are in the same track (in his file), if I get them to 3 seperate ones, I use it as it is - with some changes.

Bass I use his one and also made another one with 1 of the lines being modulated/filtered the other being the more static one.. man Goa/Psy music for sure can be better made with hardware, just edit on the fly and record. I find it more difficult with software to get "moving/living" sounds...I have 2 HW synths but not connected/stored away..

Your example is good enough I guess, why not make it longer and use it as PSYNEWS EP track. Ofc the problem is time, right?

PEOPLE can now vote on BPM like I said above, but ALSO vote for what speech sample you like ! I have a whole bunch, but not typical "goa" speech, or does anyone like Pearl Harbour under attack or Hitler or Taxi Driver movie in a PSYNEWS song ?:huh: Btw. in case of Hitler and PH both the speakers are dead now, is there still copyright on them :ph34r:? Other samples I remember to have, Apocalypse Now,2-3 xCNN news, 4-5x diverse horror/B-movies...these famous films might be problematic with copyright I guess...

4 minutes ago, Multi-Media said:

Ofc the problem is time, right?

Yep :) Also I don't really make goa, I'm more into proggy/full-on style.

Iirc I made that mini-track just to test the Diva sofware synth (it's all Diva except the drums). I don't think I ever going to put more effort into this track but I don't mind giving away the synth parts if someone wants to use them somewhere.

I typcially start any track with making the kick/bass combo and when I add the first lead synth into the project I already know what will be the key and the bpm. But it's just me.

9 minutes ago, recursion loop said:

Yep :) Also I don't really make goa, I'm more into proggy/full-on style.

I typcially start any track with making the kick/bass combo and when I add the first lead synth into the project I already know what will be the key and the bpm. But it's just me.

Prog/F.O. is part of the psynews world too. There is no law that it needs to be goa or "darkpsy" whatever. Until the admins say there is a law :)
I am not very organized like you tbh. I do not know at the beginning at all how a track would sound. But I also have no genre - guess there are 5-6 genres in which my tracks could count.. 

20 minutes ago, Multi-Media said:

I am not very organized like you tbh. I do not know at the beginning at all how a track would sound. But I also have no genre - guess there are 5-6 genres in which my tracks could count.. 

When you make "modern" psy, it's much easier to make leads when you already kick/bass/drums. Making kick/bass/drums when you already have leads is a total nightmare. Been there, done that.

In case of more freeform music I think it doesn't really matter, you may start with a cowbell or whatever. 

For this track let's say G Minor (or G Phrygian), 138 bpm. 

• Like 1

Ok. Votings so far (will make an average of all votes)

130, MM
138, RL

I just keep the 130 for now and post a snippet some day.
One can make a mix with the later agreed on BPM if more votes.
Or if someone has a cool sample idea... I guess the drugs and consqiousness related samples are quite boring/stylistic these days, so perhaps come up with something different but still fitting the genre(s)?? And not to well known and not "stolen" from other songs.

@recursion loop: Can you provide your melody at 130 for now - only if you think it works at that tempo or must be faster - like you wish :) Or whatever you like to include. For others the same of course...remember only if you have fun with it, should not be seen as "work" :)

9 hours ago, recursion loop said:

I think that track was much faster than 130, and it probably won't sound good is slowed down. I can make some new melodies for 130 bpm

Yeah eg. 2 thingies for 130 would be enough (if you have the time), but keep the 138 "on reserve" for a possible faster mix later. If other people come in too perhaps, it could be enough for 2 tracks actually (130+138):

EDIT, YUP 130 is too slow I noted now...!
Also it is not "oldschool goa" -  Vera´s "acid line" and some sound effects however should be compatible to the genre. As a noob in genres I would say some crossover Techno-Psy..

12 hours ago, Multi-Media said:

Download worked, also importing it..
But have a question is there an easy way to make 3 seperate tracks from the drumtrack, this one contains all drums and percs in your file. I did this the same years ago, but using 3 seperate tracks for eg. kick, snare and "higher up stuff" is way easier to EQ etc. I could ofc just copy the notes to a new track but is a bit too fiddly and time consuming...

Time consuming huh...all right, here you go:

http://www.veracohr.com/Psynews_Track_V.mid

I had it at 138 BPM, and in my software the tempo is in the MIDI file. Is that not the case for other people? Obviously that's the tempo I thought sounded best for it, but anyone can try it in any tempo to see how it works.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Veracohr said:

I had it at 138 BPM, and in my software the tempo is in the MIDI file. Is that not the case for other people? Obviously that's the tempo I thought sounded best for it, but anyone can try it in any tempo to see how it works.

Great thanks, I already noted that slow 130 did not work for your midi..:) See post above...
I do not know how to find the tempo in midi files :wacko: Guess it was in the text document, too lol 

I mean the tempo is embedded in the .mid file. When I open that file, the tempo is set automatically to 138. I suppose it’s possible that my software (Digital Performer) embeds that detail in a way other software doesn’t recognize.

3 hours ago, Veracohr said:

I mean the tempo is embedded in the .mid file. When I open that file, the tempo is set automatically to 138. I suppose it’s possible that my software (Digital Performer) embeds that detail in a way other software doesn’t recognize.

Googled Digital Performer and gosh from the looks of it, seems they took some "logical" hints. Seems not bad!

In this review here: https://www.amazona.de/test-motu-digital-performer-10-digital-audio-workstation/

I found what it is that your tempo gets set automaticly:

"Der Digital Performer 10 hat nun auch eine verbesserte Beat-Erkennung („Beat Detection 2.0“) und ein richtig gutes Stretching-Tool bekommen, die beide Hand in Hand arbeiten. Hat man die automatische Beaterkennung für Tracks aktiviert (was Voraussetzung ist), lassen sich diese über das Stretch-Menü recht zuverlässig an das Sequenzertempo anpassen – auch in Echtzeit, also im laufenden Betrieb. "

My old Logic should be able to do this at least with Audio files, for Midi I need to try. But it is more complicated not automatic.

Sorry for the confusion I caused with the BPM also to Recursion who said 138 already correctly :)

On 9/6/2020 at 8:28 AM, Veracohr said:

Here's something I started several years ago and never got anywhere with. I don't know if there's anything worthwhile there but it's the best offering I have right now.

The linked ZIP file has a standard MIDI file, a WAV file of the audio below, a WAV file with one of the tracks that isn't in the MIDI file, and a text file.

http://www.veracohr.com/Psynews_Track_(Veracohr_Basic).mp3

http://www.veracohr.com/Psynews_Track_(Veracohr_Basic).zip

So  are we working with this track?

Okay, that would be 138 bpm E minor.

9 hours ago, Multi-Media said:

Googled Digital Performer and gosh from the looks of it, seems they took some "logical" hints. Seems not bad!

In this review here: https://www.amazona.de/test-motu-digital-performer-10-digital-audio-workstation/

I found what it is that your tempo gets set automaticly:

"Der Digital Performer 10 hat nun auch eine verbesserte Beat-Erkennung („Beat Detection 2.0“) und ein richtig gutes Stretching-Tool bekommen, die beide Hand in Hand arbeiten. Hat man die automatische Beaterkennung für Tracks aktiviert (was Voraussetzung ist), lassen sich diese über das Stretch-Menü recht zuverlässig an das Sequenzertempo anpassen – auch in Echtzeit, also im laufenden Betrieb. "

My old Logic should be able to do this at least with Audio files, for Midi I need to try. But it is more complicated not automatic.

Sorry for the confusion I caused with the BPM also to Recursion who said 138 already correctly :)

Beat detection is specifically for audio. MIDI files contain tempo info, but of course I’m opening it with the same software I created it with, so no surprise that it just works for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 7:34 PM, Veracohr said:

Beat detection is specifically for audio. MIDI files contain tempo info, but of course I’m opening it with the same software I created it with, so no surprise that it just works for me.

Well your new midi (thanks!) can be opened directly with my DAW by "right click/open with" and voila now also the 138 is set automaticly. 
I started over with your 2nd midi, as the 1st try as said already seems more in the indus/dark techno direction which is not the forums main topic, so hardly could be a "Psynews Track". There was also not much left from your midi..

This one should sound a bit more goa.... as no one voted for a sample I already found one (drug related, it does not promote drugs ofc), now only need time and muse to complete the song :) 

Still time for everyone who wants to contribute something ...you can use either the 138 or 135 - possibly 2 mixes can be made, one long and a shorter with slightly different bpm

• 3 weeks later...

No one asked or wanted to participate or makes his own try on the midi as far I can tell :o

Still working on it, would say on Aprils Fool Day I have a raw version ready - I aimed for a 90ties feel.
I can work 2-3 hours / day on music, sometimes only every 2nd day so my progress is slow...But I now have a method to not start new tracks anymore and finish existing ones:
I strictly only work on 3 tracks at a time. Means cycling through them - running out of ideas or get bored at No.1 go to the 2nd and so on. When you arrive again at track 1 you might have refreshed yourself and make progress on this one again..

Btw, there is a 303ish wave which has quite low volume, is there a special reason?

• 3 months later...

Where are we currently?

Where can I get the files?

I have a studio session coming up. Maybe we can work on something. No promise.

• Sad 1

On 7/5/2021 at 1:04 AM, Psychedelic Superbeast said:

this emojis you gave me for my latest posts are just stupid....cant describe it in a different way. whats wrong with you guys?

It's called reactions and you can't command what people give you.

(However, you could try to influence it a little, maybe by providing good content.)

You also can't see who gives what reaction.

That's why we keep this feature as slim as possible. And to prevent abuse, negative reactions that decrease your status points are not possible. So nobody can downvote anyone. However, it's currently still possible to react on every post with a "sad smiley". And while that is peculiar, it's no reason for me to turn it off.
I would, however, limit the amount of reactions people can give each day if that feature was used for spamming continuously. And yeah, you can give a cry smiley on that one now :P 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 11:54 AM, astralprojection said:

Hey thanks for posting ... that is good, I prefer the second one but it's not that important. Whichever you can spare.

Do you have a project for these or only the wav?

9 hours ago, astralprojection said:

i have the projects, and could send midis or waves from both of them. 

cool ... feel free to post whichever you can spare - wav would be brilliant - and I'll try to see if we can do something in the (new) Skeletone studio ... no promise though...

I have scheduled monthly sessions and it'll take one or two till we can come up with something - so it'll take a while, but if anything develops in the meantime, I'll follow this thread...

12 hours ago, RTP said:

cool ... feel free to post whichever you can spare - wav would be brilliant - and I'll try to see if we can do something in the (new) Skeletone studio ... no promise though...

I have scheduled monthly sessions and it'll take one or two till we can come up with something - so it'll take a while, but if anything develops in the meantime, I'll follow this thread...

there were not many stems for these very tiny projects . let me know if something isnt right. each stem is 4 bars, in 48khz, at 32bit float.

https://www.aeap.se/tmp/psynews.zip

32 minutes ago, Psychedelic Superbeast said:

how can i use them? Sadly i just own FL Studio...what plug ins do you have?...what about if people send you just melodies/ideas on a piano roll or screenshot and you finish the track(use your great synths/mastering skills). it does not to be my stuff but if there is no one doing it...i meran comon we are lots of people loving it for years that music and understanding it! i think that it iss possible to do a cool track together :)

Also i promissed Suntrip Rec that they are allowed to use it in their new compilation...Joske was asking me months ago. I think it was somewhere on Nibiru in my Dream....we hat a nice drink together with Britney Spears <3

you could just import them if you like. either use them as is in your own projects, or take the kick or the hihat or whatever and use that.. or dont use it at all.

sure you could post midi files here of your melodies. ill be willing to attempt something with your melodies

• Like 1