What's wrong with the German Trance scene?

Mallenaut

Hey guys, I just have to rent a little bit here. For someone not familiar to the German Trance scene, at first you have to know that everything Trance related is called 'Goa', no matter if Psytrance, Forest Trance and so on. My biggest issue is, that in German, for some unknown reason, Progressive Trance and Dark Trance are the main Trance genres, while (Melodic) Goa Trance and to some extent Psychedelic Trance remain underrepresented. I have absoloutely no idea, how the main genres got lost in Germany, but for me, who got in contact with this music in Israel, it is hard to enjoy Trance parties in Germany.

Anyone else can relate?

Ja dikka lass mal ne Goa gönnen - dann gehst du hin und es is ne scheiß proggyproll veranstaltung

In Germany there's exactly 2 crews that play oldschool somewhat regularly (Return Of The Sun in Berlin and Kandizucker Kollektiv in Karlsruhe) Other than that oldschool parties are a rare beast, but sometimes crews that generally don't do oldschool make an exception for a retro party. 

Also this calling everything "Goa" is why I try to not say Goa anymore - because everyone instantly thinks proggy and most of the techno scene rightly despise it - while if I show them some oldschool they generally tend to think it's Acid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mahasamatman said:

Ja dikka lass mal ne Goa gönnen - dann gehst du hin und es is ne scheiß proggyproll veranstaltung

In Germany there's exactly 2 crews that play oldschool somewhat regularly (Return Of The Sun in Berlin and Kandizucker Kollektiv in Karlsruhe) Other than that oldschool parties are a rare beast, but sometimes crews that generally don't do oldschool make an exception for a retro party. 

Also this calling everything "Goa" is why I try to not say Goa anymore - because everyone instantly thinks proggy and most of the techno scene rightly despise it - while if I show them some oldschool they generally tend to think it's Acid.

Was diese ganzen aufgepumpten Aggroprolls da suchen, habe ich nie verstanen.

Most of the people in the German Trance scene don't even know old school classics like Astral Projection or Cosmosis.

Well I think there's quite a few who've at least heard the name Astral Projection, but barely anyone actually knows any oldschool tracks (except for maybe LSD) 

Aber ja wenn du dich nach dem alten sound sehnst, gibt's in Berlin in so ca. 3 wochen (am 12 April) die nächste return of the sun. Ist lokal und Klein aber echt schön. 

20 hours ago, Mallenaut said:

but for me, who got in contact with this music in Israel, it is hard to enjoy Trance parties in Germany.

Anyone else can relate?

90% of music played there is much worse than that Offbeat which have some sense, musicaly + production wise.

Believe or not this is the main thing there:

Ear-bleeding ultra sharp kicks, same bass paterns over and over, few note 'melodies' and often oriental vocals that doesn't make any sense. There is no sense in any of it at all but it's as you can see, what crowd wants...

4 minutes ago, Imba said:

Ear-bleeding ultra sharp kicks, same bass paterns over and over, few note 'melodies' and often oriental vocals that doesn't make any sense. There is no sense in any of it at all but it's as you can see, what crowd wants... 

So, psytrance basically.

On 3/26/2019 at 1:36 AM, Mallenaut said:

Anyone else can relate?

i don't have an issue with "goa" being the umbrella-term for all psy here as well. what is "goa trance" in english is "oldschool" in german. in my hometown we have maybe one or two parties with oldschool goa (one set, not a whole evening) per year and the crowd is enjoying that sound. that's a huge improvement over the situation 5 years ago.

yeah, proggy and darkpsy are the dominant subgenres today. but it's not specific to germany, but rather an (almost) worldwide phenomenon. if you're lucky the local crews play proggy like e-clip and forest, if you're unlucky they play neelix and psycore ;). thankfully where i live the psycore/hitech hype is more of less over here and wet get a nice dose of forest. proggy is a mixed bag; they often play the good kind but we still get our share of stop-and-go offbeat bullshit. what i'm missing (apart from a little more goa trance) is fullon. they do play some fullon, but now that the cheesefest-fullon has thankfully been dead for a decade now, there are so many good releases which get comparatively little playtime.

what i really find curious is that good psy is represented much better in the relatively small city where i live (ca. 200 000 inhabitants) compared to our capital city. when i was living in vienna almost all parties were either huge events with the worst of prog (absurd prices and sometimes an hour of waiting in the queue) or good psy in pretty small clubs with shitty sound systems…

4 hours ago, Padmapani said:

i don't have an issue with "goa" being the umbrella-term for all psy here as well. what is "goa trance" in english is "oldschool" in german. in my hometown we have maybe one or two parties with oldschool goa (one set, not a whole evening) per year and the crowd is enjoying that sound. that's a huge improvement over the situation 5 years ago.

yeah, proggy and darkpsy are the dominant subgenres today. but it's not specific to germany, but rather an (almost) worldwide phenomenon. if you're lucky the local crews play proggy like e-clip and forest, if you're unlucky they play neelix and psycore ;). thankfully where i live the psycore/hitech hype is more of less over here and wet get a nice dose of forest. proggy is a mixed bag; they often play the good kind but we still get our share of stop-and-go offbeat bullshit. what i'm missing (apart from a little more goa trance) is fullon. they do play some fullon, but now that the cheesefest-fullon has thankfully been dead for a decade now, there are so many good releases which get comparatively little playtime.

what i really find curious is that good psy is represented much better in the relatively small city where i live (ca. 200 000 inhabitants) compared to our capital city. when i was living in vienna almost all parties were either huge events with the worst of prog (absurd prices and sometimes an hour of waiting in the queue) or good psy in pretty small clubs with shitty sound systems…

Totally can relate to this. The bigger cities are full of bad parties, while the country side (especially Mecklenburg-West-Pommerania) have a really nice Trance party culture for German standards.

Well I don't know, in Berlin we have two almost pure oldschool Parties a year, and while Yeah, the rest of the psytrance Scene Mainly sucks here, we have an awesome acidtechno scene. And one of the oldest technoparties being revived regularly. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...