23 replies to this topic

#21 acid-brain

acid-brain

Happy mushroom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:41 PM

i do not think that they are exclusively focused on beeing raw and banging and i think that they would be quite offended by this insinuation. for example: surgeons rmx for rue east "birmingham" (https://www.discogs....s/release/30467)

is that only raw & banging ? on a monday morning at berghain ?
quote:" The Birmingham sound marked a turning point in the development of techno and its influence can be heard throughout the Berlin techno of the Berghain and Ostgut Ton.[6] It also formed the starting point for Regis and Female's later Sandwell District project.[7]"

That's why I mentioned Regis, not Surgeon. I'm a big fan of Regis's early work and as I recall even he said in interviews that he was putting everything through an amplifier and aiming for the most uncompromising sound possible. Sure in his later work particularly with Sandwell District there is a more psychedelic air but it's still far from the psychedelic synths of artists like Orphx and Rrose.

Exactly, the Birmingham sound influenced the Berlin sound, but in other respects they are quite different. That is why I chose this broad title for the thread. If I called it simply "Birmingham Techno" or "Berghain Techno" most of the tracks I posted wouldn't fit, whereas if I called it just "Techno" that would be far too broad and people would be posting Detroit stuff. I don't find debating genre boundaries particularly interesting or enlightening so why don't we go on recommending tracks?

In fact if I had to choose a different thread title it might be "Stroboscopic Artefacts", the label which is pushing this sound the most. Excellent releases all around.

#22 ulmehagen

ulmehagen

Enlightened Ape

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:04 PM

i`m with you. the question for me was: what is berlin sound? for the younger ones is it the current berghain sound. older associate with it the sound of maurizio&basic channel together with the old tresor sound (which is also a blend of detroit&birmingham).
and you are right with this one:" I don't find debating genre boundaries particularly interesting or enlightening so why don't we go on recommending tracks? "
https://www.discogs....release/3553175
a nice mixture of hard industrial and some deep-sea-diving like donato dozzy stuff...
cheers!

#23 acid-brain

acid-brain

Happy mushroom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:00 PM

i`m with you. the question for me was: what is berlin sound? for the younger ones is it the current berghain sound. older associate with it the sound of maurizio&basic channel together with the old tresor sound (which is also a blend of detroit&birmingham).
and you are right with this one:" I don't find debating genre boundaries particularly interesting or enlightening so why don't we go on recommending tracks? "
https://www.discogs....release/3553175
a nice mixture of hard industrial and some deep-sea-diving like donato dozzy stuff...
cheers!

Great recommendation. I'm a big fan of that hypnotic Italian sound. Sabatini got a lot of play on the techno circuit a few years back with this:

Also, the Zooloft label is full of stellar releases.

#24 Starkraver

Starkraver

Acid Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:08 PM

Wrong post!

Very nice atmosphere in this above track. Eeeeeerie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users