Globular - Holobiont

globular is always quality music. i think this is one of the very rare releases where i'll pick up a physical album (along with one of magnitudes of order) when there's a free download available.

does anyone know how well that works through bandcamp? or is there a better place for these albums, where morrison gets a bigger share?

globular is always quality music. i think this is one of the very rare releases where i'll pick up a physical album (along with one of magnitudes of order) when there's a free download available.

does anyone know how well that works through bandcamp? or is there a better place for these albums, where morrison gets a bigger share?

I (almost) always use bandcamp for physical purchases unless I'm buying in bulk then I'll most likely go to Psyshop.

With bandcamp you can d/l the music immediately (and multiple times) from your collection on there, you can stream as well.

I've been a huge Globular fan from the start and helped fund this, so the CD should come soon. :D

The Bandcamp previews sounded a LOT like "In Formation". Listening to the Bandcamp release now.

EDIT: Finished now. Really, since the digital version is free, no reason not to grab it! Donate some to the man, he deserves every penny. Top quality as always.

So, what's the consensus around here about this release?

I'm personally a bit disappointed :( I mean it is still a good album, but after the magnificent "Magnitudes of Order" I expected Globular to distance his sound even more from S. Posford / Ott influence, trying to pursue his own style. Instead, the new one doubles down on taking even more inspiration from Shpongle, Younger Brother and Ott. The melodies are somehow less memorable and less evolved, there's fewer live instrumentation and sound tweakery; it's also more uniform in terms of mood and less energetic / dynamic. To make it worse, 1st part is plagued with annoying, repeating vocal samples of some exotic / children chanting, which never really worked for me since Ott's "Smoked Glass And Chrome". Further still, at least in two cases I'm sure I've heard the exact samples - just chopped up slightly differently - somewhere else (e.g. "An Upward Curve" uses the sample featured in "The Finger" by Younger Brother)... On the other hand, "The Might of Chondria" and "Overcoming Occhiolism" are damn near perfect.

At the end of the day it's still a solid 4/5 effort, but nowhere near the brilliance of "Magnitudes of Order" :(

A bit like Ott's Fairchildren in the sense that it's not as in-your-face as their previous albums. And I recognize a lot of the samples too :)

And his influences sure are there but he still has his own personal touch to it. You wouldn't really mistake this for anything else than Globular.

he has always used prominent voice samples, some of which cross the threshold to annoying (while others are great), but while this album has more than magnitudes of order, there are less than on self-fulfilling prophecy.

the latter had a few tracks i didn't like because of that, but just like magnitudes it had one insanely good one (to the other side of fractal phase space and fire&stars respectively). while the samples aren't too much for me in any of the tracks on holobiont i don't see an otherworldly great gem either (might of chondria is indeed the closest to that as far as i can tell with just 2 listens). so the album seems less daring than previous ones, but it still beats my favourite psydub of last year (illuminus - sweep dreams) easily with it's vibrant and creative sound.

A bit like Ott's Fairchildren in the sense that it's not as in-your-face as their previous albums. And I recognize a lot of the samples too :)

Yes, but somehow with Ott's latest I could clearly find the other avenues that he explored instead (here and here). I can't see that - yet? - with Holobiont.

he has always used prominent voice samples, some of which cross the threshold to annoying (while others are great), but while this album has more than magnitudes of order, there are less than on self-fulfilling prophecy.

the latter had a few tracks i didn't like because of that, but just like magnitudes it had one insanely good one (to the other side of fractal phase space and fire&stars respectively). while the samples aren't too much for me in any of the tracks on holobiont i don't see an otherworldly great gem either (might of chondria is indeed the closest to that as far as i can tell with just 2 listens). so the album seems less daring than previous ones...

Agreed - I guess we all feel it IS a great album, but slightly less so than we expected / wanted it to be :)

...but it still beats my favourite psydub of last year (illuminus - sweep dreams) easily with it's vibrant and creative sound.

Need to buy this one.

Ok, upon further repeated listening this really grown on me - I still don't appreciate the chanting, but I got used to it and it doesn't bother me as much. Instead, I started to discover small details, like the incredible percussive "acid line" in "Overcoming Occhiolism" which is my favorite of the tunes on offer.

https://youtu.be/Su1JJmgU8K4?t=57m23s

Go buy it people!