New Psynews Contest

Ormion

Ill certainly try, but the competition is very intimitading atm, and as i wrote above im very certain even more class AA+ producers will contrubte :P

thanks for support :)

Nah , you shouldn't feel that way , this is a good chance for new people to show what they can do :)

For starters i am not participating on it since i'm busy with Submoon and the new album and even if i wasn't i think this contest is good for new people not for the veterans. Just being honest. :)

Did I ever say I wasnt gonna participate? I dont recall that :/ I even said "Ill certainly try".

And dont you agree that Imba, Nova Fractal and Vaesna is Class AA+ producers, and it makes it a little intimidating for someone like me?

Or do I just rub you the wrong way for some reason.... was hoping bygons would be bygons. For everything.

Peace bro.

Dude no need please :) chill.

I respect your views if you find them top-notch producers.

Well , hope you can overcome that 'intimidation' and that you can maybe work out something nice.

Take it easy. :)

/Filipe Santos

• Like 1

Did I ever say I wasnt gonna participate? I dont recall that :/ I even said "Ill certainly try".

And dont you agree that Imba, Nova Fractal and Vaesna is Class AA+ producers, and it makes it a little intimidating for someone like me?

Or do I just rub you the wrong way for some reason.... was hoping bygons would be bygons. For everything.

Peace bro.

No. I don't agree. I think your track could be just as good as theirs (I don't even know who Nova Fractal and Vaesna are:)) POST YOUR TRACK NOW! :)

No. I don't agree. I think your track could be just as good as theirs (I don't even know who Nova Fractal and Vaesna are:)) POST YOUR TRACK NOW! :)

Say what now? Nova Fractal just happens to be the nr 1 new school goa producer atm, with artifact303 close tied, or second :)

Vaesna is and up and coming amazing talent.

But yeah, ill try my best to do something for the contest, obviously.

I just meant, its intimitading to know which you are competeing against, people with studios, real equipment, at least monitors and soundinterfaces..

I dont wanna make excuses ppl can do great stuff with just headphones or computer speakers but heck, there is no need in denying that having a proper DAW (mine is from 2009, using ONE(1) CPU core, and I do not have a real audio interface nor do I have monitors.)

But that said, sure, Ill try my best :)

Dude no need please :) chill.

I respect your views if you find them top-notch producers.

Well , hope you can overcome that 'intimidation' and that you can maybe work out something nice.

Take it easy. :)

/Filipe Santos

Thanks bro! :)

• Like 1

Say what now? Nova Fractal just happens to be the nr 1 new school goa producer atm, with artifact303 close tied, or second :)

Vaesna is and up and coming amazing talent.

But yeah, ill try my best to do something for the contest, obviously.

I just meant, its intimitading to know which you are competeing against, people with studios, real equipment, at least monitors and soundinterfaces..

I dont wanna make excuses ppl can do great stuff with just headphones or computer speakers but heck, there is no need in denying that having a proper DAW (mine is from 2009, using ONE(1) CPU core, and I do not have a real audio interface nor do I have monitors.)

But that said, sure, Ill try my best :)

I don't listen to new school goa. I don't like it, except a few great tracks here and there. But let's not get off topic here.

Can't wait for your track ;)

• Like 1

If I decide to enter one of my old tracks, it's made in Impulse Tracker in 1999, on a Pentium 133MHz PC with a Sound Blaster 16. No EQs or compressors on other fancy effects anywhere. Mixed on an amp+speaker combo from the '70s I got for free. And it still sounds fucking great on my proper studio monitors, barely anything needs to be done to the mix.

So basically, ignore who you're "up against" and go for it.

• Like 3

intimidating

What? :D

I mean, I get where you're coming from, but I'd say the most interesting music wins in a competition like this, not what has been produced by the most experienced people. I usually find music by newcomers more interesting than music coming from people who released 4 albums before.

Not saying production doesn't matter, certainly experience helps here like nothing else. But being unexperienced often means that you'll experiment more, and that's where the good stuff comes from. :)

No need to feel intimidated - depending on the perspective, you might even have an advantage!

• Like 2

Aight. Lets leave that discussion out of this thread then.

Cool, thanks for your support.

Peace

Yeap , forget about it , it's done and dusted , you think about it and do what you feel , as always , do it for yourself! :)

Stay positive man!

You're welcome. :)

If I decide to enter one of my old tracks, it's made in Impulse Tracker in 1999, on a Pentium 133MHz PC with a Sound Blaster 16. No EQs or compressors on other fancy effects anywhere. Mixed on an amp+speaker combo from the '70s I got for free. And it still sounds fucking great on my proper studio monitors, barely anything needs to be done to the mix.

So basically, ignore who you're "up against" and go for it.

Very true :) Respect .

What? :D

I mean, I get where you're coming from, but I'd say the most interesting music wins in a competition like this, not what has been produced by the most experienced people. I usually find music by newcomers more interesting than music coming from people who released 4 albums before.

Not saying production doesn't matter, certainly experience helps here like nothing else. But being unexperienced often means that you'll experiment more, and that's where the good stuff comes from. :)

No need to feel intimidated - depending on the perspective, you might even have an advantage!

I'd say the best is just be yourself , do what you feel and the rest who cares! :D

Everybodys different , everybody sounds different , no need to feel intimidated by 'big names' in the end it's all psychological , it's all in your head!

Speaking of myself i just love making the goa trance i like to listen to , just saying this if new people will find me intimidating which i don't want that to happen , I do it mostly for myself and what i like to hear , if im 'big' or not i don't really know what that is and i really don't care haha :)

I don't listen to new school goa. I don't like it, except a few great tracks here and there.

As being honest i don't listen to 'new school goa' i don't like it either. Sorry 'new school' fans.

Very rarely there's a good 'new school' goa that i can honestly say it's good , the songs tend to 'drag' a lot on knob twists instead of giving out good melodic content. There's lots of layer 'fillings' instead of focusing on the necessary instruments. No need to put random sounds floating on background if it's just there just to say it's there. Does it contribute anything to you and the music you are producing? Does it contribute anything to you? I'll leave that to the new ones to think about. :)

I can pull a good Goa track with 4 instruments and a drum machine. How? Use your imagination.

I did Particle-X - Ion Space with 2 old electribes and a few effects. Was I happy? Damn straight i was. Less is more. Focus.

Doesn't matter to me how many layers an artist puts in but what counts to me and Goa is that every layer has to have your Soul. Simplicity can be a lot Complex.

Filtering is part of the magic too but i think the content is way more important. It's not a competition , me and my Goa is about not trying to impress anyone and show off how 'killer' my and your music is. That's not what my Goa at least is about.

The new producers and many of the old school too still have a lot to learn of what Goa really is , it involves a lot of studying , meditation and inner development , for many it sure is just opening a computer program and just write some eastern melodies.

Goa is a way of life , it's deep and clean for me , i'm not involved in dirty parties , people involved with chemicals and it sure isn't about money, fame , ego , showing off or simply saying : i got this i got that , look how big I am and so on. No , Goa is special to me and it will always will . Pure and simple love for the Music. It's deep and personal , I share it and sell it because there are always costs involved with my production but what I get i am very grateful for it everyday. I appreciate people that love and show their support by buying my Music and i hope that it can bring good to your life. What else is outhere i have no interest in it whatsoever.

As for now i am not going more in-depth with this topic I'm going to move on and not dwell on it , after all there's an old saying : 'Each one for himself' right? At least I hope I can teach and I hope the new generation can learn some good things from me and my work since I feel i'm carrying so much of the best of the Old Goa Legacy , afterall i'm also a dad now and i'm glad to teach the same to my son and hope one day he will carry what I have in my music :).

Back to the contest : I wish you all Good luck!

For the new Goa producers that's best tips i gave and no more shall be given.

My apologies to OP for deviating from the contest a bit.

:)

Wish you all a good Saturday!

Peace :)

• Like 2

Aight. Lets leave that discussion out of this thread then.

Cool, thanks for your support.

Peace

Yes. Get to work buddy.

If you can make Spiritual healing sound nicer than the original, I have no doubt that you can get a good track for the competition. Good luck. :)

@Paul -- can't wait hear your track. Downtempo? Uptempo? Midtempo? :D

Yes. Get to work buddy.

If you can make Spiritual healing sound nicer than the original, I have no doubt that you can get a good track for the competition. Good luck. :)

@Paul -- can't wait hear your track. Downtempo? Uptempo? Midtempo? :D

I'd suggest to astralprojection to do something original and put Spiritual Healing aside , personally i give more credit to something from their own person than 'latching' their names next to 'big names' . Sorry doesn't work for me.

astralprojection my friendly advice is : try something from you! the spiritual healing pitch bends are really hard to nail , it's mostly a straight midi note with pitch bend modulation :) hope i could've been of some help . :)

i just love making the goa trance i like to listen to , do it mostly for myself and what i like to hear , if im 'big' or not i don't really know what that is and i really don't care haha :)

As being honest i don't listen to 'new school goa' i don't like it either. Sorry.

I feel literally the same here. Every track I make ends up in my everyday playlists. ;)

And yes, if I can simply put something in a category - to me that means that you know something else that sounds very similar if not the same - I'll most likely dump it. It happens with plenty of newschool productions, sadly.

• Like 2

Remixes of other artists' work are not allowed, sorry.

Sorry for not being clear. I meant - if the dude can remix that classic and make it sound nicer (to me) then, I am pretty sure he can get a good(original) track for the competition.

(Bad English, I know. Working on it)

I feel literally the same here. Every track I make ends up in my everyday playlists. ;)

And yes, if I can simply put something in a category - to me that means that you know something else that sounds very similar if not the same - I'll most likely dump it. It happens with plenty of newschool productions, sadly.

Well yeah mate that's how it works , afterall you have to work in your own music. It's part of the process , it's not an ego thing , i just simply don't want to be influenced by what i don't want to. Of course there's good music I listen to , even yesterday i played some MWNN - Big Troubles In Outer Space and Elixir 3 in Goa-Head. I do re-visit things , it's part of work and studying.