Floaters

Ormion

You know them. That annoying shapes you see when watching the sky.

Floaters.png

They're harmless and normal and apparently everybody gets them as you getting older, some more than others. I have them and since I'm myopic they seem to be worse.

I never actually cared about them, but the last year I kind of have a hypochondriac period and things I used to ignore now bug me.

So I'm now having my floaters period. I see them everywhere especially when I'm looking at bright and monochromatic surfaces. They're really annoying and you can't fix them, only with a very risky surgery that no doctor recommend.

Of course when I stop thinking about them I rarely notice them.

As someone who went to school to become an optometrist I can tell you that unless the floaters are ridiculously problematic surgery is the last thing you want to do. We usually just live with them and as you noticed they get worse when in bright conditions. You see it's a piece of the gelatinous material in front of the retina called the vitreous that sort of pulls away from the eye, creating the floater. Now as a myope you have to watch the condition. The worse the myopia the greater the risk of retinal detatchment. That risk however is quite small.

Tomorrow we'll discuss the need for adequate sun protection.

Mdk

I have ton of floaters, blue entopic field phenomenon, visual snow and probably some form of oscillopsia. All this started to increase daily past 2 months. I also had laser surgery to fix up a tear and it left me with a big black spot on top of my vision on the right eye when the lighting condition is dim. I'm also what T2MU calls, a myope. Life is hell. :D

As someone who went to school to become an optometrist I can tell you that unless the floaters are ridiculously problematic surgery is the last thing you want to do. We usually just live with them and as you noticed they get worse when in bright conditions. You see it's a piece of the gelatinous material in front of the retina called the vitreous that sort of pulls away from the eye, creating the floater. Now as a myope you have to watch the condition. The worse the myopia the greater the risk of retinal detatchment. That risk however is quite small.

Tomorrow we'll discuss the need for adequate sun protection.

Mdk

Do floaters getting worse with age? Are they gonna multiply?

Hey, thank you a lot for this thread ... I have this too and I never was quite able to put it into words.

I talked to my optometrist (is that an eye doctor, isn't it?) about it about two years ago and she made me make a "blind spot" test ... don't know a better name. It involved looking into a screen where tiny dots were illuminated from time to tome and you had to press a button when you see one ... nothing unusual came out in that test.

Further investigaions on my eyes had to be cancelled because I was hyper sensitive. I was passing out very nearly once as they came close with objects to my eye (that's the reason doctors gave me although I blame it on the narcotic they squirted into the eye) ... and another doctor in the hospital couldn't make a certain examination which involved touching a sphere onto my eye which wasn't possible, I couldn't cooperate, not even as I wanted, the eye kept twitching once he went near.

I have visual snow and floaters very often. Thanks for the terminology!

I do also have some different type of the "snow" though ... it looks like tiny orange dots with a black dot in the middle of each, can't describe it better.

Oddly, these things were the worst recently as I was skiing in the snow, I saw them all everywhere. Maybe it has to do with blood pressure, when it is higher these things are even more visible.

I seem to be quite sensitive to light such as camera flashes and that aswell ... just two days ago I basically suffered from this again as I was on a party and they had these strong beam lights circling all over the place, I was basically playing hide and seek with the "algorithm" that controlled these lights, I had to because I hated when the light would struck my eyes.

Oddly, these things were the worst recently as I was skiing in the snow, I saw them all everywhere.

I guess because of the whiteness? They're more prominent when looking at bright, plain surfaces.

Yeah got that as well as blurring,'snow, ghosting/double vision & a few other things associated with my various eye conditions. All wore with stress & anxiety. Not as annoying as my phobia of ants & other bugs - I actually was found by my wife curled in a corner of our kitchen last year crying in terror of the ants who'd invaded. Now it's moldly manageable with a good psychologist. My eyes not much can be done. Such is life.

Hey, thank you a lot for this thread ... I have this too and I never was quite able to put it into words.

I talked to my optometrist (is that an eye doctor, isn't it?) about it about two years ago and she made me make a "blind spot" test ... don't know a better name. It involved looking into a screen where tiny dots were illuminated from time to tome and you had to press a button when you see one ... nothing unusual came out in that test.

Further investigaions on my eyes had to be cancelled because I was hyper sensitive. I was passing out very nearly once as they came close with objects to my eye (that's the reason doctors gave me although I blame it on the narcotic they squirted into the eye) ... and another doctor in the hospital couldn't make a certain examination which involved touching a sphere onto my eye which wasn't possible, I couldn't cooperate, not even as I wanted, the eye kept twitching once he went near.

I have visual snow and floaters very often. Thanks for the terminology!

I do also have some different type of the "snow" though ... it looks like tiny orange dots with a black dot in the middle of each, can't describe it better.

Oddly, these things were the worst recently as I was skiing in the snow, I saw them all everywhere. Maybe it has to do with blood pressure, when it is higher these things are even more visible.

I seem to be quite sensitive to light such as camera flashes and that aswell ... just two days ago I basically suffered from this again as I was on a party and they had these strong beam lights circling all over the place, I was basically playing hide and seek with the "algorithm" that controlled these lights, I had to because I hated when the light would struck my eyes.

You should probably ask for a sedative when going to the eye doctor. It's messed up to have shit put on your eye but it's worth the pain to know if there's anything wrong. I also had that eye twitch problem but once I calmed down and focused I managed to keep it steady. Also the drugs they put in the eye really are awful.

Neck and blood pressure are always linked to eye problems, I'm going to do a thyroid check up soon personally.

Most of the time they are harmless. Very rarely leads to a retinal detachment, but it does happen on occasion. More than anything your eye doctor will tell you that it's something you monitor. Most likely worse case scenario? PVD. Posterior vitreous detachment.

As listed it's worse in bright light (sunny day with snow on the ground is the worst) and they can get worse with age. High blood pressure can make them increase.

If I can give anybody any eye advice it would be this. Do not. Under any circumstances. Sleep in your contact lenses. Even if they say you can do so on the box.

Mdk

I guess because of the whiteness? They're more prominent when looking at bright, plain surfaces.

Yes, the whiteness surely played a role, but when I'm in a white room or staying at white walls, they are nowhere as strong ... so I think the heartbeat / blood pressure does also play a big role.

By the way, sometimes, out of nowhere there appears a small spot in my field of vision that looks like when somebody has pointed a flashlight there. That thing stays for a while and after some time it goes back to normal.

You should probably ask for a sedative when going to the eye doctor. It's messed up to have shit put on your eye but it's worth the pain to know if there's anything wrong. I also had that eye twitch problem but once I calmed down and focused I managed to keep it steady. Also the drugs they put in the eye really are awful.

Neck and blood pressure are always linked to eye problems, I'm going to do a thyroid check up soon personally.

Hmmm ... I don't think a sedative would be good. I think I faded and almost passed out because something sedated me ... I suspect that the drug they put into my eye somehow travelled along the bloodstream into the brain or something like that...

Calming down was not possible. I actually was calm ... but it was like my eye took control over me -- I was not able to control it and make it stay still. The feeling of this glass sphere touching the skin on my pupil was unbearable to me.