Imagine a goa trance café

radi6404

I must think about it, it is a dream but shame the psynewsers are not all in one place, otherwise they could donate and money from me and the cafe could be opened. 60 000 would be enough in Bulgaria to open it, 70 000 with everything, 2000 for the hifi.

Guest D N H

edit: backdoor - its pretty much saying you're not cool enough to enter the front, be seen and keep our image looking good. so please enter the OTHER way ;p

No. Just no reason to enter at all :D

Nothing dirty implied, radi!

I must think about it, it is a dream but shame the psynewsers are not all in one place, otherwise they could donate and money from me and the cafe could be opened. 60 000 would be enough in Bulgaria to open it, 70 000 with everything, 2000 for the hifi.

In which currency are you counting? :huh:

Guest D N H

You want it big and classy hah? 70 thousands euro is a lot of money nowadays. And i think in Bulgaria the prices are much lower than in eurozone countries.

What a great idea ! I've me too already thought about that Radi, Im happy to see Im not the only one who thinks that making such a café would be a great things !

To answer people saying which music should be played in this place, I would say all kind of Psychedelic Trance Music. It means old school and new school goa trance, psytrance, full on, prog...And a little bit of ambient.

Why ? because in order to survive, a such café need people...And if you only play old school goa trance, only old school goa trance fan would come. So if you play all kind of psychedelic gender, that's more people coming in the café !

As someone said, price are quite low in Bulgarian, I went it 1 week, in Budapest (Was amazing)...comparing to switzerland, there's no comments haha !

Even with all kinds of psytrance it would be very hard to survive, that is why shpongle must be played, Ott must be played, Union Jack with normal trance and lots of progressive aswell so people think it is house or some general techno and come to the café, but with that I believe it would be a success, and it would be awesome, incredible girls entering the café, holding their breath when listening to goa trance, people wondering what music that is, would love to see that.

Could work yesssss :D

0082_80sle.gif

hahah, what the hell is this?! Are they putting glue in a toothpaste tube? then laughing like maniacs? ;p so funny!

especially in a city, a "dance" theme anything survives well. clothing stores play commercial stuff but even for me walking by or within those stores, it has a nice vibe. so a cafe would easily do it just as much. I always thought such a cafe should have a mini jukebox or something on the table where you can select what to play for your table. This could be done without interfering others. I remember being in the Virgin electronics store in NYC and walking a foot in one direction I heard different music from the ceiling speaker and it amazed me so I would walk a step or two back and hear the other song. such thing would work on a table I think too with hopefully not too loud a volume. But this could be expensive to add so if the place had an overall radio like almost any store, so be it ;D

I think I have a solid opinion on this, as I am indeed the owner of a lounge bar and sometimes I play goa on the sound system. Business-wise you gotta have constant influx of people - and their money - in order to be able break even your initial investiment and daily/monthly bills, and music is an important aspect that can help increase or decrease said influx. In my experience, you can't play only one genre of music, or you will attract a small crowd that likes that kind of music and will lose the rest of your customers. I play goa every now and then, but the reaction is that people don't like it. So, I play a mix of techno, trance, house (and all of their subgenres, including chill-out and ibiza) in a sequence of uptempo to downtempo, from 18h30 to 24h00. That's how it has worked for us. The nights that I stubbornly play only a genre, say, tribal house, I see more people coming to the counter and asking us to stop playing it. So, a cafe playing Goa is not a safe bet, IMO. You will go down in less than a year. I went to two Goa cafes in Japan, both closed down, and mind you, the Japanese market is very mature and I was surprised they went under.

We had a kind of psy-cafe in Los Angeles for many years: http://novaexpresscafe.com Not exclusively psytrance, but the local psytrance scene would gather there after parties, and sometimes they would DJ there too. Other nights you'd hear electro clash, psy rock bands, a whole mix.

It was a trippy looking place, with its retro science fiction/alien theme. Their pizza was good and I remember their 15 foot Cthulu fondly :)

There are some vegan/vegetarian cafes with similar ideas. Inspiral - in Camden is one i have been to a few times. Though not playing goa only, still you can hear some in the background through the day, and they have psy events there some nights.

Really cool place. I like your idea and it might work, I'm sure there might be/were some like that in Byron bay in Australia too. You would just have to find a "laid back" kind of area :D

there has indeed!

but not anymore

byron scene is dead!

there has indeed!

but not anymore

byron scene is dead!

Yeah I thought that might be the case. Haven't been for a couple years but it is definitely a different place these days than it was. Wish I saw it in the real beginnings! :) Beautiful place though, no matter the crowd.

In my cafè Boris Blenn work would play every day, some bit of him, Nexus would probably be heart several times a day and Visiting Venus and Alien Encounter and Stardiver and Sirrius Shuttle and Endorian Gravity and Joy, I guess Nexus will kick out all the people who do not want tough stuff since it is not an easy going track at all, but the real fans will stay.

We had a kind of psy-cafe in Los Angeles for many years: http://novaexpresscafe.com Not exclusively psytrance, but the local psytrance scene would gather there after parties, and sometimes they would DJ there too. Other nights you'd hear electro clash, psy rock bands, a whole mix.

It was a trippy looking place, with its retro science fiction/alien theme. Their pizza was good and I remember their 15 foot Cthulu fondly :)

THIS PLACE LOOKED AWESOME! I would only go here. Totally my style! Moment of silence for them....

man! lucky you 8) still not sure how the cosmic pizza can stack up against NY style but I'm willing to try it ;p

• Like 1

I'll go with Procyon on this matter. A cafe is still another FOR-profit organisation.
The only chance of such a cafe surviving is if it was something like an Electronica Cafe-Bar. So you'd play different kinds of easy-going (not the BOOM BOOM stuff) electronica through the day. like dub, psychill, LOW-BPM techno/acid trance/club-trance/prog and then you'd have themed nights like techno night, prog night, goa nights etc

You mustn't forget that when people are having a coffee, they want to talk generally, not talk about music.

A summer beach-bar would be a safer bet but then you'd need a lot of money for DJs playing different styles through the day

The volume of the music depends aswell I think and how the café is organized. For people the café should become a place where they feel confortable goin to and talking, if that is achieved they will like it.

They wont mind playing Electric Universe - Visiting Venus at the day and Order Odonata if it is a place where they feel confortable talking and hanging up.

I also don't care about beaches man, I don't want to live where beaches are, I am not a sea man, I am a mountain man so I prefer the bar to be either at a normal town or a mountain town. A mate of mine has such a café in the town of Bansko, fammous Bulgarian mountain town, he plays house mostly and some electronica that has hard kickdrums but otherwise reminds of goa trance and has same electronic beats. He is succesful with the café

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen pictures of Bansko Radi, a place I would like to go see someday. The B. girl I knew showed me photos of the place, awesome mountains. So I think you should try to do this project man, but I think you should definitely do something like the inSpiral lounge in london, less the whole vegan thing which is very silly, have a look here: http://www.inspiralled.net/feel-our-events

They regularly have artists to perform live or dj and i know they had very successful events with Ultimae artists with the place completely full (i was at one event) abd they also had a lot of people when Taj Mahal (the french dj/producer) was djing psytrance and it was very cool!

But of course the 3 most important things: Boris Blenn, Steep mountains near and lot of skinny girls!

I've been in Bansko a lot of times and it is beautiful, the mountains there are not the most impressie in Bulgaria but pretty good indeet. it is a great place with mountains and flatness, they have both, also it has beautiful mountain river flowing through Bansko and it is a very relaxing place. I really like it and it could be a nice place for a café, but it is not very big and maybe in a bigger town there could be mroe success.

There is beautiful landscape in predela, 10 km west of Bansko where the peaks and slopes are much steeper than in Bansko, not as high but steeper so you can see the peaks just below the mountains, the rocky peaks, the Pirin mountain is beautful, as is the Rila.

And Bansko is a paradise anyway, you see the Rila mountain in the north and the steep Rodopi hills in the east, the big fields make Bansko really a place like in The alps, where you have high mountains in any direction and a big field in the middle, you should visit it, Bansko has also so beautiful girls, just priceless.

The extremly smooth road that connects the high fields with the lower fields and the nationalroad to Greece is extremly smooth. So living in those high lands you have, steep rocky mountains in any direction, Rila, Pirin, Rodope, extremly smooth mind boggling roads. Beautiful vegetation in the high lands, priceless girls, cafès with shiny interior and furniture and exterior so you think it is very luxurious. Now the roads are not that important, but other things are definatly great.

I tell you, what else do you expect, the area around Bansko is paradise for sure.

c619.jpg

This is before Bansko looking to the west. High Pirin to the left and high Rila to the right almost seem to merge at Predela. So you see both mountains there nad the big beautiful field in the middle, a turly great place.

• 2 months later...

Imagine you could walk out right now in your town, walk 500 meters or a bit more and enter a café that constantly plays oldschool goa, electronic ambient, some dub and psytrance like old GMS, wouldn`t it be great. The music would not be loud, but quiet enough to be able to talk to your friends, in the big room of the café would be two or four shelf speakers or four floor- speakers with great quality and the computer would have a great soundcard or the reciever would be very good and deliver a great signal from the optical out of the soundcard. For me it would be very impressive and I would be there many many times. The illumination could be of changeable lighttubes that can change the colour according to the time of day and could be dimmed, so the atmosphere would always be right.

For me it would really be a dream, seeing people come in, great girls, order drinks, have a talk, a beautiful looking café, it would just be incredible. It is a different experience to listen to trance in a café where you don`t know which track will play next and be surprised if your favourite track plays. If I had spare money I would open such a café where only this music plays, no matter if people come or not, there would be a few and they would enjoy it a lot.