Psytrance RIP 2012?

Time_Trap

Will check the tracks out soon-although neither used to be my cup of tea from what I've heard of them-, until then maybe that's a proof it's not dead, although the tracks are not 2012 but maybe even going back to 2008 etc with maybe some new tracks. EDIT# Which means it's not really a proof against psytrance fatal illness huh. But I just recalled it was a nice set and even slightly impressed me.

http://soundcloud.co...rie-saint-bruno

More on topic, I would love to see some discussion and opinions on my last relatively long wall of text. Prove me that this forum doesn't suffer from fatal illness too mates.

I am with Time_Trap on this topic: some real nice tracks, but nothing outstanding. But I concede that this is cycle - I have wrote about this in other topics - that affects almost other genres of music. IMO, writers have to study music more, to get used to live instruments. The first generation of goa/psy writers came from different areas of music: rock, heavy metal, 1980s electronica, Brian Eno-esque music. That is why it was so rich. This new generation found goa/psy's formula ready to digest. It is not a bad thing, but it will take some time until someone come with a surprising new bassline or arpegios.

In the meantime, let's appreciate the good music we have for now.

Nice reply I liked that :)) I have thought if I would ever get the skills to make a fusion of post-punk/hardcore/post-hardcore etc with psytrance. One's forms with other sounds etc. PsIDM or IDMpsy would also be interesting. I think only Electrypnose has been in these realms a bit with a couple of tracks from his innovative "psychill" (much more than that) album Subliminal Melancholies

I am talking two tracks here, "New Wave" and "This is the beginning". Too bad none of them is on youtube, I might upload laters. Here u go : This was innovation back in 2006

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwtKyr2qrLs

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P0jg7oIOHA

Bluetech also did something similar in some of his most recent albums, a fusion of his usual chill sounds in IDM forms. The result was nice enough.

I think it is a matter of listening too long to a genre...

The more/longer you listen to 1 specific genre, the more critical you become and the less you like all the music (you remember the first year you listen to psytrance? You liked it ALL :). Now you listen to 100 tracks, and "only" 5-10 tracks give you goosebumps. And well, some people give up at that point... I tend to search so hard, I am still satisfied :) I had several tracks/cds so far in 2012 which I absolutely loved... And are good enough to give me the feeling of my first goa cds :)

So the point, search enough and you'll find (and don't stick to "only" goa-trance, but also check out forest/ambient/...) :)

Ps for Tatsu: Crossing Mind was released today :) He played in BE last weekend too and he blew me away... ELASTIC HARMONIES pt. 2 is the best track in YEARS for me :)

I think it is a matter of listening too long to a genre...

The more/longer you listen to 1 specific genre, the more critical you become and the less you like all the music (you remember the first year you listen to psytrance? You liked it ALL :). Now you listen to 100 tracks, and "only" 5-10 tracks give you goosebumps. And well, some people give up at that point... I tend to search so hard, I am still satisfied :) I had several tracks/cds so far in 2012 which I absolutely loved... And are good enough to give me the feeling of my first goa cds :)

So the point, search enough and you'll find (and don't stick to "only" goa-trance, but also check out forest/ambient/...) :)

Ps for Tatsu: Crossing Mind was released today :) He played in BE last weekend too and he blew me away... ELASTIC HARMONIES pt. 2 is the best track in YEARS for me :)

True man. I'm with Anoebis here .

My advice , take a break from it for a while , explore new things for yourself and then when you get back to psytrance again you will feel it much stronger! :)

PS for Anoebis - The new CD = pure bliss , thank you very much. :)

In fact I didn't say anyone's taste sucked and anyone can listen to anything he wants (including R&B ,pop and neofolk).I only said and emphasized "IMO" (twice!) Richpa's was the best tracks, that's all.

I was expecting someone to prove me wrong and come up with an original album that would be to say "No psytrance isn't dead". Eg that happened in 2005 with Derango's Tumult. I hoped that would happen again but nah. I was expecting some interesting dark/forest/prog fusion (coincidence is I found about Merkaba today, whose music I found rather interesting)

I also want to discuss the stagnation of genres in general, not only psytrance, and wonder why other genres that have been here for more than a decade can still be innovative while psytrance fails, as of lately.And it's not only stagnation ,it's degression as well. Heck,ambient(and I mean pure,beatless/drone ambient in the realms of Steve Roach, Vidna Obmana, Robert Rich, Biosphere ) has been the same since 80s but it's still the same quality,although still lacking innovation.Now,psytrance not only stagnated but the quality also fell dramatically.

And when I say dead, I defined it in my last post. It's almost dead in the way I mentioned.

I still DO listen to psytrancebut it's mostly stuff from 95 - 2005.In fact as of lately I listen like ~20 psytrance tracks per day, that's enough considering I do listen to other music as well.

You know what? I think in a way what happened to psytrance is similar to what happened to punk.

Punk started pretty dynamically in the 70s, then we had post-punk, then hardcore punk, from which NYHC was born and then Hardcore/metalcore etc, then we had post-hardcore,lately some fusions between post-hardcore and sludge/post-metal/screamo, and now... We mostly have all these things of the past just with modern production ;)

Something rather equivalent happened to psytrance just with the names changing... psy/goa, dark psy, forest, suomi,prog,minimal... (in no particular order)

I don't exaclty how you define innovative but what you describe with psytrance and the name-changing for the sub-styles or with the punk genre is imho similar with all the genres I know. I mean there is (for me) interesting stuff coming out for all genres, for some more for some less. But I haven't heard a rock or hip-hop album which I have to rate as "I've never heard something like that before". Or if I did then it is a new style/sub-genre. So I personally fail to see why psytrance should be more alive or dead than any other genre that is not new.

For me something being alive is not only stated by the level of the innovativity that is shown but by amount of releases that (for my personal taste of course) stand out. Also because if I am wanting to hear something completely different I do not dig in the style I know for 10 or 15 years but into other styles. Not because I feel I can't find something new but even something new will not be completely different since it has its root in the same genre.. I'm amazed to see that when checking out psy I can still find gems. The Talpa album is one and imho it is even rather unique (unfortunately...). It's also funny to browse stuff and then find albums that are some years old and seem to be pure gold, still they went under my radar so I can find them now.

It seems you are not able to find intersting releases anymore. Which is sad but saying that because of that a style is dead or dying is imho a bit silly. It is just your own perspective as a listener, means it's once again about personal taste. I'm with Anoebis on this one!

And btw @Anoebis: I just ordered the two Crossing Mind albums. Very, very amazing music judging from the live and the samples. I have to say this music gives me the same feeling I had when I went to my first parties and heard the melodic goa madness. I think it is mainly the use of synths. With that he is even better than some old artists and their original music...

The more/longer you listen to 1 specific genre, the more critical you become and the less you like all the music (you remember the first year you listen to psytrance? You liked it ALL :). Now you listen to 100 tracks, and "only" 5-10 tracks give you goosebumps.

Hm Anoebis I get your point but for me it was mostly the opposite. At first I liked pretty much specific sound (I was a sucker for melody), for example when I heard GMS - No Rules for the first time I was like what the fuck is that shit but now I like the sound. It's certainly true that the more music you hear the more critical you get but at the same time I get more diverse and open as well and that makes things complex and chaotic and more interesting hehe.

Tatsu I will respond to u laters, for now I will only comment that 'innovative' is rather self-explanatory. To give an example most of the big psy/goa pioneers have been innovative one way or another at least a couple of times, and as for more recent examples, Derango,Electrypnose,Psykovsky and even Kindzadza as their started were for sure innovative.

I'm curious about your answer. :)

I'm allready adding something: sure the goa pioneers were innovative, but mind you: if a genre is new that is rather easy. On one hand because everything is allowed and on the other hand it is new so not everybody knows it. Then Goa evolved into psy, same thing again. Since I'm listening Goa has brought out full-on, prog (different prog and full-on styles even), dark, forest, neo-goa commercial and so on. As far as I can tell the music is still evolving. But how far can you push it until it is not really psy anymore? I mean those discussions arise with every new styll: is dark (or the more commercial releases, prog, full-on and so on) really psyish enough to be called psy? I do think so but the discussions are there.

But I haven't heard a rock or hip-hop album which I have to rate as "I've never heard something like that before". Or if I did then it is a new style/sub-genre. So I personally fail to see why psytrance should be more alive or dead than any other genre that is not new.

By rock u mean classic rock like Scorpions? Or use rock as an umbrella term for eg hard rock,psyrock,punk,metal etc? If it's the latter then it's obviously wrong.

As for hiphop there has been innovation there as well at least until 2000.

But how far can you push it until it is not really psy anymore? I mean those discussions arise with every new styll: is dark (or the more commercial releases, prog, full-on and so on) really psyish enough to be called psy? I do think so but the discussions are there.

The answer is yes. Goa,dark,forest,suomi,minimal,prog, all are psychedelic trance.

X-Dream mixed techno with psytrance and that was called tech-trance.

If something has many elements of a genre it might be called like this.But even if it's not that genre, what does it matter?

For me something being alive is not only stated by the level of the innovativity that is shown but by amount of releases that (for my personal taste of course) stand out.

I agree.

I'm amazed to see that when checking out psy I can still find gems. The Talpa album is one and imho it is even rather unique (unfortunately...).

Never got into Talpa and this new song is below average for me sorry

It seems you are not able to find intersting releases anymore. Which is sad but saying that because of that a style is dead or dying is imho a bit silly. It is just your own perspective as a listener, means it's once again about personal taste.

As much as your perception about psy being alive is subjective.

When did I claim any objectivity?It is needless to say anything we speak is based on our own individual perceptions.

It's dead for me and alive for you.

Also because if I am wanting to hear something completely different I do not dig in the style I know for 10 or 15 years but into other styles

Now that's contradictoy.At first you say it's not about innovation but the amount of releases that stand out. Meaning you don't have a problem with releases that follow the same formula as long as they do it well, but then you say you can't dig something that follows a 10-year recipe so you look for something different.

I still listen to music I listened 5 or even 10 years before and I don't have a problem if something new follows the classic goa recipe for example but is executed well.Neo-goa is almost like that actually, with different production but I haven't found much stuff executed well.

By rock u mean classic rock like Scorpions? Or use rock as an umbrella term for eg hard rock,psyrock,punk,metal etc? If it's the latter then it's obviously wrong.

As for hiphop there has been innovation there as well at least until 2000.

The answer is yes. Goa,dark,forest,suomi,minimal,prog, all are psychedelic trance.

X-Dream mixed techno with psytrance and that was called tech-trance.

If something has many elements of a genre it might be called like this.But even if it's not that genre, what does it matter?

I agree.

Never got into Talpa and this new song is below average for me sorry

As much as your perception about psy being alive is subjective.

When did I claim any objectivity?It is needless to say anything we speak is based on our own individual perceptions.

It's dead for me and alive for you.

Now that's contradictoy.At first you say it's not about innovation but the amount of releases that stand out. Meaning you don't have a problem with releases that follow the same formula as long as they do it well, but then you say you can't dig something that follows a 10-year recipe so you look for something different.

I still listen to music I listened 5 or even 10 years before and I don't have a problem if something new follows the classic goa recipe for example but is executed well.Neo-goa is almost like that actually, with different production but I haven't found much stuff executed well.

Nope, you missunderstand me (the last quote is what I'm talking about). I don't have a problem listening to something that sounds like typical psy (or goa or whatever style) even if it's not innovative as long as it moves me in one way or another. I also think you can sound unique without bringing a whole new innovation to a style. If you manage to create a special vibe, style or combine known elements new. But that's another story... Anyway, what i wanted to say is that psy and his sub-genres have a certain sound. It evolved over the year and is still evolving. But I don't expect another innovation every other month. Becuase of that if I feel that I have heard enough of psy/goa/prog I dig into other styles to get something different. i like to dig out psychedelic house/elecotro/techno tracks, there's lots to discover that is very different to psy but it still moves me in a similar way. Imho it's not a surprise you can't find innovative stuff every other month, I mean how should that be possible?

I^m not sure what you want to say about hip-hop. I mean back in 2000 you cold also find a lot innovative stuff in the psy genre. but we have 20102 now... i just used hip-hop and rock (rock in general but also subgenres like Metal, Hard-Rock and some others that I know) to show that imho psy is not that much more or less innovative than other styles that exist for long.

I agree about being alive or dead is a matter of perspective. That's exactly what I wanted to say with my reply. I'm glad you see that in the same way because for me (another subjective point of view of coruse) a thread title like 2012 RIP psytrance? does sound more like a general statement to me. Mainly because threads or discussions like that arise again and again and well, it's not getting more original with time. But I'm glad you could clear that up for me.

I^m not sure what you want to say about hip-hop. I mean back in 2000 you cold also find a lot innovative stuff in the psy genre. but we have 20102 now... i just used hip-hop and rock (rock in general but also subgenres like Metal, Hard-Rock and some others that I know) to show that imho psy is not that much more or less innovative than other styles that exist for long.

I can agree for hiphop ... Still that 33 Funk is released 2012 and I consider it innovative, however I recognize it's the excpetion to the rule. Plus we have other fusions like glitch-hop experimental etc.

About Rock that's a pretty superficial comment although excused since u haven't dug deep enough ( just look at how many fusions/sub-genres exist ).

I brought the example of techno as well.

Well, let's just hope psy will evolve in the future and it's just a phase... Let' see

I also think you can sound unique without bringing a whole new innovation to a style. If you manage to create a special vibe, style or combine known elements new. But that's another story.

Hehe, then that's innovation by definiton, no ? :D

Time_Trap: I don't know about you, but I really felt a jolt of good surprise when I listened to this track the first time. A very intelligent, well written track. I am very happy there are artists doing such a good work. If you liked it, try listening to "Perception", to me it's the "Mahadeva" of this new generation.

Nova Fractal - Autopsy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cZqr_nWDuI

• 2 weeks later...