Image of the Day

Drosophila

Posted Image

A Lions Mane Jellyfish, the largest jellyfish in the world! They have been swimming in arctic waters since before the dinosaurs (over 650 million years ago) and are among some of the oldest surviving species in the world.

Apparently it's real and on Iceland. Got of a friend on facialbook so I don't have the source, I might just ask him for more details, it really looks out of this world.

Can't be Iceland because there are trees in that pic.

Posted Image

Looks fake to me since:

The largest recorded specimen found, washed up on the shore of Massachusetts Bay in 1870, had a bell (body) with a diameter of 7 feet 6 inches (2.29 m) and tentacles 120 feet (37 m) long.[1] Lion's mane jellyfish have been observed below 42°N latitude for some time—specifically in the larger bays of the east coast of the United States.

Looks fake to me since:

The largest recorded specimen found, washed up on the shore of Massachusetts Bay in 1870, had a bell (body) with a diameter of 7 feet 6 inches (2.29 m) and tentacles 120 feet (37 m) long.[1] Lion's mane jellyfish have been observed below 42°N latitude for some time—specifically in the larger bays of the east coast of the United States.

hmm well I'm no marine biologist but those dimensions would seem to fit the pic, I guess it all depends on exactly how far the diver was from the jellyfish when the picture was taken. Still, photoshop or not it's pretty impressive IMO ;)

Diver with his swimming equipment is probably no bigger than 2.3-2.5 meters, biggest jellyfish found had diameter of 2.3 meters, now look at the picture again, the jellyfish is ~2.5 times bigger than the diver and if you take into consideration that its some 2-4 meters away from the diver it should be even bigger.

What you said doesnt make sense about distance and perspective, sorry :D

Diver with his swimming equipment is probably no bigger than 2.3-2.5 meters, biggest jellyfish found had diameter of 2.3 meters, now look at the picture again, the jellyfish is ~2.5 times bigger than the diver and if you take into consideration that its some 2-4 meters away from the diver it should be even bigger.

What you said doesnt make sense about distance and perspective, sorry :D

ok you're probably right ;)

• 3 weeks later...

"Nasa satellites this week captured an unusually strong storm over the middle of the Arctic Ocean. Such storms - more common in the winter - can have a large impact on sea ice"

'It seems that this storm has detached a large chunk of ice from the main sea ice pack. This could lead to a more serious decay of the summertime ice cover than would have been the case otherwise, even perhaps leading to a new Arctic sea ice minimum,' said Claire Parkinson, a Nasa climate scientist. 'Decades ago, a storm of the same magnitude would have been less likely to have as large an impact on the sea ice, because at that time the ice cover was thicker and more expansive'. In the image, the bright white ice sheet of Greenland is seen in the lower left"

Posted Image

Aw...it's not a pic, but I have to share it with you guys...me and my brothers broke up in tears laughing our asses off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fPi8w4h-NY

and, as some dudes on the net are always too good to be true, this is the result

These are the moments I cannot praise people's spare time and the internet enough for.

Nah I wouldn't be so pessimistic...probably the washing machine had some kind of defect before, so that it would not have been economically reasonable to repair it,

e.g. the heating unit was out of order, or the pumping system or whatever. So they just decided to have some fun with it in their spare time, because that's the main

objective for almost all people in the world - to have fun in their free time. Some people play soccer, some people discuss niche music genres and other stuff in an

online community, others throw bricks into washing machines!

So they bypassed the security measures of the washing machine and played the old "let's see what happens"-game, as curiosity is one of the main driving forces of mankind.

The result has been at least one aching stomach - mine!

I too thought that the machine was probably already defective in some way before they embarked on their "experiment".

I played that clip at work the other day and one of the people I work with remarked across the room that it was a strange sound(brick in the machine) coming from my speakers. I told him what the sound was and he burst out laughing and asked me if I'd deliberately searched for it or just came across it inadvertently. :P