cd/psytrance madness is starting to kick in! 2 problems

technosomy

have you ever gone looking in your collection for a cd you know you have and cannot find it?

you keep looking and looking and nothing.

then....................... you either............. stop looking, and the next day look again and.......... there it is!

or

you look again and nothing, but i swear i have it and really love it so......... go to discogs, buy it and usually before it arrives, you find the old one!

now this has happened to me twice now and i swear i must be losing it.

i have a lot of cds (probably over 10,000 )now this is probably the problem i have just to dam many, i don't claim to have all but up to about 99 i have almost all the psytrance made, but you out there who know me know that i sold alot of my collection, (ripped to wav and stored in folders now) except the ones that are precious,as well as other genres have you had this problem?

secondly

i am starting to drag out cd's that havn't listened to for a long time, some hardly at all, and they skip?????

take it out and it has marks and blemishes almost wear signs?

now i know these were good as they were bought new, hardly used, and i really look after them, so what is it?

i remember reading years ago that the makers of cds said they have a life, someone said 10 years? is this the start of deterioration?

now i have some cds that are over 20 years old and still play fine today, but some not, and are way newer?

your thoughts please

especially you oldtimers like me/ freak collectors

thanks

For scratches, maybe you've moved them from time to time? I don't know, but about the deteration, it is completely true that it will happen eventually. Depends on the quality of the CD, humidity and all that sort of stuff.

I think this is a good thing to keep in mind tbh. CD's won't last forever, unless they're made like M-Discs are lol.

Personnally I sort cds by genre (Psy/Ambient/Everything else) and then sort Albums, then VA's, in alphabetical order. No more cd lost.

As for the scratches, there shouldn't be any if you don't manipulate your cds. They don't deteriorate either, I mean, look: glass melts over hundreds of years (see the windows of old houses in Amsterdam), and plastic is supposed to be more stable. I have 20+ years cds and they're still perfect and play perfectly. However, if they are exposed to a lot of hot/cold temperatures, that might be a problem. Even when the Sun hits a window in your place and the cds are exposed one hour per day might hurt after a few years. But the biggest issue I saw several times, was with smoking people. It seems the smoke gets onto the cds over time and alter them. I don't smoke, but some friends have had issues like that. My 0.0.2$

thanks guys, i used to be a smoker so possibly, and mars i to sort by genre but i think the prob is not all can fit in one stand so some do get missed placed in other part, quality of disc definatley to i think as have had issues with blank cdrs over the years especially when i was ripping the cd's i was selling, in general i was getting good quality cdrs but because i ripped so many thousands, affordability was a issue so i did go on the cheap, and may suffer because of it.

Rip all the most precious and keep the FLAC (save space instead of WAV and it is the same)archived on 2 drives (one for listening one for backup) that seems to be the only way to preserve the music as long as you live.

Physical media will deteriorate eventually at some point for different reasons (smoke, humidity, scratches, etc). I started ripping some years ago but I also have way too many and am not even near the 15% of it probably :/.

i remember reading years ago that the makers of cds said they have a life, someone said 10 years?

That was probably aobut CDrs. Their maximum is around 10Y.

I have Czech classical cds from 1988 & they're all fine, my wife is listening to them often. I bet they're going to live another 10 years easily

BTW I'm also archiving my collection on 2 drives (1 backup) & I'm on D letter (sorted by labels)

i save everything on the pc for backup,then burn my own favorit combilations, i use (Verbatim Digital Vinyl CD-R) they should have about 100 years lifetime from what i know.

Another thing to remember is that nicks in the top/label side of a CD are more likely to cause skipping. There's just a thin layer of printing between the top and the data area. On the bottom there's a thicker layer of plastic, and marks on the bottom that cause skipping can sometimes be buffed out.

• 4 weeks later...

Periodically I re-organise my CD collection but it doesn't take long for the CD gremlins to get in there and just start moving everything about. I have everything seperated up & down then by label & artist all in alphabetical order but a few weeks after sorting everything out I can't find a CD I know I have. I find them a while later though well out of order, like in finding VA - Black Rhino in the Ultimae part of my downbeat section. I know I didn't put it back there and I live alone so I can only assume it's the CD gremlins :angry: