Artists you consider highly underrated

ollylovesgoa

Earsugar!! He (them?!) is a Swiss guy with some compilation tracks out but no full album. I heard a live gig of him at a party and I was totally blown away. He makes progressive trance but so psychedelic it is unbelievable what soundscapes he greates. Not just some simple noises but melodies and stuff that melts together to one big symphony. I have to say I wasn't sobber but he clearly stood out from all the other music (live gigs from Flowjob and Reefer Decree).

I can also say the same about Time In Motion from Denmark. Also heard their live gig at a festival and they also don't just create music but soundscapes from another dimension. Btw. I heard tracks from both of them back home and I still have to say this music is divine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hux Flux completely owns - if you don't have their first album "Cryptic Crunch" you're missing something spectacular - it will blow your mind - sounds like nothing else at all, you'd never confuse Hux Flux for any other artist - as soon as a Hux Flux track starts it is immediately recognizable as such..

Lots of people don't know anything about Hux Flux though, perhaps partially because "Cryptic Crunch" was out of print pretty fast (though it was reprinted I think)..

I wasn't as impressed with their 2nd album "Division by Zer0", but the first album and any miscellaneous tracks you can find are just epic - "Bring Your Own BIOS", "Degauss", "Errorhead" - all terrific..

I think Nystagmus is underrated as an artist also..

• 2 weeks later...

Hux Flux completely owns - if you don't have their first album "Cryptic Crunch" you're missing something spectacular - it will blow your mind - sounds like nothing else at all, you'd never confuse Hux Flux for any other artist - as soon as a Hux Flux track starts it is immediately recognizable as such..

Lots of people don't know anything about Hux Flux though, perhaps partially because "Cryptic Crunch" was out of print pretty fast (though it was reprinted I think)..

I wasn't as impressed with their 2nd album "Division by Zer0", but the first album and any miscellaneous tracks you can find are just epic - "Bring Your Own BIOS", "Degauss", "Errorhead" - all terrific..

I think Nystagmus is underrated as an artist also..

I agree about Hux Flux! It's so mindbendingly twisted! One step ahead of the rest when Cryptic Crunch came out, good shout.

There is something about this term "underrated" that doesn't ring well. Just because an artist isnt spoken about in forums too much or if there is a negative perception about him from a few quarters online would not make him underrated unless there is a hidden psychedelic artists ratings list somewhere that i am not aware of.

There is something about this term "underrated" that doesn't ring well. Just because an artist isnt spoken about in forums too much or if there is a negative perception about him from a few quarters online would not make him underrated unless there is a hidden psychedelic artists ratings list somewhere that i am not aware of.

+ 1.000

I guess you have a point, but we need to be able hight-light some artist we feel (subjectively) are not appreciated as much as one would hope for :P and I also think it could be considered in respect to artist actually being booked on festivals and so on, that was also on my mind any-ways... ;)

• 1 month later...

I have some unpopular opinions. :)

Biftek. Not strictly a goa/psy act, I know, but Sub-Vocal Theme Park was a classic in that small niche of semi-chill, downtempo-midtempo, second room of the party, trippy goa.

Brainman. He was like a poor man's Infinity Project, with a very organic, warm and uniquely 'alien' sound. And the way that he arranged his tracks, in that ultra-repetitive style with tons of bizarre samples dropped in, screams Suomi to me. Ahead of his time IMO.

Cwithe. Funky and fun. :) To me "Illegal" is nearly the perfect goa/psy album: futuristic, liquid and science-fictional soundscapes all the way through with irresistible rhythms. I've yet to meet anyone else who appreciates the Amsterdam weirdos, though.

Acid Rockers. Pretty much what I said for Cwithe goes for their album; they may have gone a little too far into techstep but the sounds, pads, melodies, production, really everything about Matt Buggins' music was exquisitely crafted and felt like a sound beamed from the very far future.

Black Sun. There's not a lot of love out there for Youth's early solo goa productions, but he made some tunes I can't get out of my head (Ligea, Cosmic Courier, The Machine). I even like the industrial guitars.

Ree K. Masa's better half who made some blinding goa back in the day.

Squaremeat. Their first two albums are just packed with clever musical ideas, innovative in the way that psytrance should be but so seldom is.

Nervasystem and Aether. I'm kicking myself for not buying their album when I had the chance.

Tamlin. Probably the most psychedelic psychedelic trance artist of the last several years. I really hope he keeps at it (hint hint)!

You may argue that festivals like BOOM and Ozora attract tens of thousands of people. Again, let's be realistic: of these tens of thousands, most are "parachuters" - people who enjoy psy, but also hip-hop,

rock, pop, etc.

You say that like it's a bad thing. As much as I love psy/goa, listening to it non-stop would get old (just as listening to any other genre exclusively would). Variety is the spice of life, as they say. Part of what makes this scene great is that people are usually pretty open to different ideas/music/art/etc

Now to actually stay on topic, I think Puoskari is amazing stuff, although I guess no suomi is really that popular.

Someone mentioned Xamanist, which I also agree with. Maybe he's not so underrated after all. :)

In a sense, I would also say Sky Technology is underrated, because I think it's possibly the best GOA ever made, which I doubt most people agree with (even if they do enjoy it). :)

In a sense, I would also say Sky Technology is underrated, because I think it's possibly the best GOA ever made, which I doubt most people agree with (even if they do enjoy it). :)

Agreed, Sky Technology really stands out from nowdays goa trance, he got unique style and his music i trully psychedelic. I would add one more goa trance act - Blackstarrfinale. Same thing like Sky Technology, very unique approach to goa trance and that's what is important to me.