Is progressive trance psy's subgenre? Or not?

Procyon

After reading some comments, reviews, etc, I realized that to some people progressive trance is in a league of its own, not related to goa or psytrance.

Not being a fan of progressive, but knowing of acts like Liquid Soul and Ace Ventura, I see that progressive has some elements in common with psy: namely, the melody.

And some quite different ones: the basslines.

But I can't come to a clear conclusion: is progressive trance related to psy?

There is a difference between progressive psytrance (Ace Ventura, Liquid Soul, FREq, Symphonix, Neelix, etc.) and progressive trance (James Holden, Shiloh, Luke Chable, etc.). Compare the two and it will be abundantly obvious for the most part.

+1

But In Club or After club releases there is also progressive trance.

And again totally different.

I guess it's best to say progressive is slower and less melodic.

Just like Progressive House is compared to House for example.

or something like that ! Posted Image

Music is a continuum, not a set of discrete categories. Still, in the case of Ticon, I would say their newer material retains less of that psytrance flavour than, say, Ace Ventura. When the BPMs drop below 130 and the music shows more influence from electro house and minimal techno than psytrance I think it is reasonable to say it is more of that world than the psytrance side of things.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the difference between progressive trance and progressive psytrance has been explained already, but what I'd like to second is the impression that progressive psytrance of today got more and more sterile and adapted to what's actually progressive trance. In the past there was a bigger difference between these two, which got kind of diluted. The two genres definitely got closer to each other. Which is not always that good.

Fortunately there are some artists out there who are engaging in bringing back the spirit of the old style, which involves the substantially bigger difference towards ordinary progressive trance (PANZAR PRODUKTIONZ crew in particular -- a little reference never does harm :) ). Listen to some of that and then the difference towards the ordinary progressive trance becomes more obvious.