Protoculture played by... Armin Van Buuren

Lemmiwinks

OOOD: I don't know about your pop career, wish you success.

I think it's funny your last paragraph: you mean, you never ever disliked someone's work? A book? A movie? Clothes? etc...?

Because, according to what you wrote, it's not the movie, the book, the clothes, that are not good. It's the taste and expectation of the one who buys, watches, wears it that is not well adjusted.

If you agree, then I envy you. It must be nice to live a life where everything is beautiful, nice, charming. No ugly stuff anywhere around.

Now, if you disagree, then can you elaborate your last line, please? Because, then, I and a thousand guys need to understand why "Alien Jesus", for instance, is a good work that was not decently appreciated by us.

Heh it's not a career, not yet, just another outlet for the things inside me. One day maybe. But to your question - Sure, there's plenty of things I don't enjoy, but that doesn't mean they're 'bad'. If I enjoy something and someone else hates it, which one of us is right? BOTH of us, because in matters of taste and creativity, 'good' and 'bad' are not absolute and external, they come from inside us and we have no right to apply our standards to anyone else. Sure you can identify whether a piece of music is well-produced or not, but that doesn't necessarily have a bearing on the quality of the music represented by that production. And it's not a case of being 'well adjusted' or not; I will stand by your right to like - or not - any work of creativity you choose. You're an individual, with your own tastes. So am I.

Just because I don't mistake my opinions for the facts, as it seems you do, doesn't mean that I don't find some things ugly, or that everything is beautiful and nice. But I'm aware that that's only my opinion of those things: my opinions are not necessarily the facts. Get this into your head and a world of sponteneity will open to you, beyond the rigid barrier of your expectations and prejudices.

"Is Alien Jesus good"? Well it's not my favourite set of trance tracks for sure, but 'good'? I don't even believe that's a real question. Is a rose 'good'? How about if one of its thorns pokes your eye - is it still 'good'? The rose hasn't changed.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOOD: so, in your point of view (as opposed to mine) what are the facts then? Your perception of them is the one to be followed? Mine? Your friends'? My dog's?

So you see, OOOD, it doesn't mind what you think or what I think. I may say I don't like "Alien Jesus", and yet, you may think it's great. You may say that Protoculture is your parameter for trancing out, and yet, I may think his music makes me down-to-earth in seconds.

Point is: if you like it, and if you write you like it. I will respect your opinion (just like I do in every post I write here). And I expect the same from you.

If you don't like it, and if you say so. I will respect your opinion also.The same rule applies here.

What really bothers me, is when someone writes "well, his work is not good at all", then someone else comes to say "your opinion is distorted, I have the truth here: bla bla bla".

It bothers me even more, when this comes from the author himself/herself.

A little dose of humility is more than welcome (mainly when you SELL what you do).

Learn from guys from this very forum that distributes tracks for free, and are humble enough to ask people what they think about their work.

Well, OOOD you are on my list of gods of trance, along with Protoculture and a few others: they can't be touched, or talked about, or they get angry ;) (God forbid!) :o

"Is Alien Jesus good"? Well it's not my favourite set of trance tracks for sure, but 'good'? I don't even believe that's a real question. Is a rose 'good'? How about if one of its thorns pokes your eye - is it still 'good'? The rose hasn't changed.

Dude, I couldn't have put it in better words... thats my point exactly. Beauty (or musical taste in this case) is in the eye of the beholder.

So you see, OOOD, it doesn't mind what you think or what I think. I may say I don't like "Alien Jesus", and yet, you may think it's great. You may say that Protoculture is your parameter for trancing out, and yet, I may think his music makes me down-to-earth in seconds.

Point is: if you like it, and if you write you like it. I will respect your opinion (just like I do in every post I write here). And I expect the same from you.

If you don't like it, and if you say so. I will respect your opinion also.The same rule applies here.

Excellent, we agree! :) That's exactly what I was saying in my last post. It just sounded like you were trying to lay down rules for everybody about what was 'good' or 'bad', or about what was psychedelic or not, but obviously I was wrong. Of course it's fine to disagree, and to say whether or not you like something. Just don't diss other people for having other opinions :)

About your comment about me learning from others on here who distribute free music... I have a present for you:

http://www.ektoplazm...2008/oood-alive Hope you enjoy it! By the way, please call me Colin; 'OOOD' on it's own refers to the four of us in the band. Cheers!

Hooray a thread for those who like Alien Jesus!11

Posted Image

Just saying, I rather have you guys bring up yahel or infected mushroom, rather than Alien Jesus. Alien Jesus... <_<

About your comment about me learning from others on here who distribute free music... I have a present for you:

http://www.ektoplazm...2008/oood-alive Hope you enjoy it! By the way, please call me Colin; 'OOOD' on it's own refers to the four of us in the band. Cheers!

Yes, this was an awesome share!

Penzoline:

Just saying, I rather have you guys bring up yahel or infected mushroom, rather than Alien Jesus. Alien Jesus...

Man, haven't you just read that it's not that bad, it's just that you expectations were not met? Expect nothing, then you will love Alien Jesus :D :D :D

Penzoline:

Man, haven't you just read that it's not that bad, it's just that you expectations were not met? Expect nothing, then you will love Alien Jesus :D :D :D

LOL did you actually read what I wrote?

"What is this? This has nothing to do with Psytrance at all."

Who says it has anything to do with psytrance? I just posted that I'm not really into psytrance anymore... this may be a "psy" forum, but I gues this does have something to do with me since the thread's name is "'Protoculture' played by Armin..."

'Hey, Protoculture (when you're reading this), can I ask why you didn't choose another alias?"

Why should ditch a brand which I spent 10 hard years building up from nothing? Protoculture is MY thing, My own little genre, MY means of expressing myself... it doesn't belong to you guys, the psy trance scene or anyone else. The reason I never changed the name is because i feel I never changed the essence of what me and my music were about. Its still uplifting, cheesy to some of you Im sure, happy music that I write from the bottom of my heart... its just slower now and being marketed to a crowd who actually appreciate it for what it is. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved the psy scene, but I'm moving on to new things now and I don't feel I should be expected to leave my hard work behind in a scene that I'm not interested in anymore.

I'm always amazed how... particularly in the psy trance scene (suppose cause thats where I've had the most experience), you people (I'm generalizing so please don't automatically take offense) think everything belongs to you because you've been to a few parties? Funny, its always the people who put the hardest work into the scene that have the utmost respect for everything and everyone else... and completely the opposite from the people who just hang around forums and complain about shit they're not willing to do anything about. I've had this conversation countless times before... and I think I say this for all the artists that take flack for trying to evolve or do their own thing. We don't owe you anything... we're not in this to make the minority of critics happy... and if you don't like it, the simplest and most logical thing is to not listen. Forget about it, go out and make your own tracks the way you think they should be, go out and throw a party and book the artists you wanna book.

hey man, thanks for answering

I was just surprised that it has nothing to do with psytrance, you know. When I read the thread title, I thought AvB would play Psytrance now because he plays your (psy) tracks...

And I now understand that you don't wanna ditch all what you have done before by changing your alias. That would actually not be very wise.

cheers

wow...

i really dont understand what all the hubbub is about.

why should we care if the guy wants to make different music? hes the artist...its his music...he can do whatever the hell he wants to. if prtotocultures next album is zydeco who gives a shit? if you like zydeco listen to it...if you dont...dont.

although i do think if youre gonna drastically change music style...a new name is in order, but thats just my opinion.

front line assembly has like 10 different names for different styles of music....i still know theyre all fla

that might be a bad example (i dont know how many of you are familiar with them, but i bet you all have heard of delirium)...but you get the idea.

heres a better example...we all know manibus and prosper is the same guy.............dont we?

hey man, thanks for answering

I was just surprised that it has nothing to do with psytrance, you know. When I read the thread title, I thought AvB would play Psytrance now because he plays your (psy) tracks...

And I now understand that you don't wanna ditch all what you have done before by changing your alias. That would actually not be very wise.

cheers

No worries. In fact, the tracks that Armin has supported I don't consider to be psy at all. I doubt anything thats gonna be coming out of my studio for the next while will be psy. That was the whole point of me posting here... not to defend my work but to let you guys know where I'm coming from. I totally get some people would be a little annoyed if I was punting some of my new stuff as underground psy... thing is I'm not claiming its psy at all. I'm in a bit of a transition at the moment, where a lot of people know me for what I've done in the past.

My main thing is I'm tired of being boxed into a genre... and the psy scene is a very small little box ;) Not that its bad at all... its just I want to be able to wake up in the morning and go... hey, "lets do a vocal today", "let's try a bassline other than a 16th saw riff" or "cool, lets write some frigging country music" (Ha ha, just kidding ;)).. but you get what I'm saying. I don't really want to even call myself a trance artist, or progressive artist for that matter... I just wanna do what I do. Its Protoculture, nothing more, nothing less. And whats coming out of my studio at the moment is what I feel like doing.

@Procyon ... my final say on the matter, please don't misunderstand me. I'm really not pissed or defensive that you don't like my work, in fact I'm sure our musical tastes are complete polar opposites so you not liking my music is probably a compliment ;) (Again, not to say there's anything wrong with your musical tastes). Thats really not the issue. Was more the matter of fact way you made your statements... it kinda comes across as you thinking you're the be all and end all of music. I'm sure thats not the case, but thats how it sounds... a little arrogant. Anyways, water under the bridge. Didn't mean to offend anyone in any way.

So finally... basically, if you're a hardcore psy trancer and into your underground stuff... don't bother checking out the new Protoculture releases, cause its probably not for you as thats just not where I'm at at the moment. Just realise I'm not putting out these tracks to "pollute" the psy scene or whatever some people may think. I honestly couldn't give a shit about psy genre's or trance genre's or whatever. I'm just making music I like at the moment. Otherwise, thanks for listening and all the comments ;)

@Procyon ... my final say on the matter, please don't misunderstand me. I'm really not pissed or defensive that you don't like my work, in fact I'm sure our musical tastes are complete polar opposites so you not liking my music is probably a compliment (Again, not to say there's anything wrong with your musical tastes). Thats really not the issue. Was more the matter of fact way you made your statements... it kinda comes across as you thinking you're the be all and end all of music. I'm sure thats not the case, but thats how it sounds... a little arrogant. Anyways, water under the bridge. Didn't mean to offend anyone in any way.

I was wrong man. Colin OOOD just opened my eyes and now I regret what I wrote you: I just can't stop listening to your tracks and the Alien Jesus CD :) I have changed my expectations towards Eskimo, Wrecked Machines, the Infected Mushroom vocal-stuff and that full-on tracks that I used to say that destroyed the scene, and now I am enjoying all of them. You know what? I will ditch all my Goa CDs, my tech-trance tracks, the last Opsy stuff, Liquid Soul last tracks, I have changed my mind. Thanks to your (and OOOD's) pointing me you guys only make wonderful, really good, trance at its maximum, tracks. I was blind, really.

Go in peace. You have made a fan here.

I was wrong man. Colin OOOD just opened my eyes and now I regret what I wrote you: I just can't stop listening to your tracks and the Alien Jesus CD :) I have changed my expectations towards Eskimo, Wrecked Machines, the Infected Mushroom vocal-stuff and that full-on tracks that I used to say that destroyed the scene, and now I am enjoying all of them. You know what? I will ditch all my Goa CDs, my tech-trance tracks, the last Opsy stuff, Liquid Soul last tracks, I have changed my mind. Thanks to your (and OOOD's) pointing me you guys only make wonderful, really good, trance at its maximum, tracks. I was blind, really.

Go in peace. You have made a fan here.

Posted Image

I really dig hexfires' comment on this. I prefer to listen and party to Goa/psytrance but I can really appreciate a good trance track, even with vocals. The same with other genres of music, as much as I love psytrance and psychill, I cannot listen to it the whole time. I stopped using the connotation "commercial" too because it just don't make sense to me. It's good or bad, period, you don't need to get all worked up on it.

Edit: Ormion is probably gonna post that I'm wrong, aren't you :lol:

As a guy who loves mainstream trance, no I don't disagree with you.

As a guy who loves mainstream trance, no I don't disagree with you.

Posted Image

How is possible to not like this?

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8L4_wqdTyw

B)

So, you're not kiddin'. Went to have a look at the normal trance thread and saw you did post some trance tracks.

Posted Image