Seriously, the prices are killing me.

Penzoline

Everywhere I look, everything has been bought already. Hardly any stores(All three of them) carry old stuff anymore and then you go look at used one's, and they go at extremely ridiculous prices. Finally I have some money so I could buy something, I don't own a single pre-2000 release, apart from DATRec releases, but the ludicrous prices are just too much. Why couldn't the labels have print more copies? Or why can't some labels re-release stuff? Avatar is at least putting some old one's back, but slowwwly. Case to the point, I'm not paying 30euros for a CD when I could get 3 new one's with the same amount.

It also didn't help as I finally got myself a paypal account, it takes money to transfer from bank account there, a certain release went out of stock at saiko as I was waiting for my money. Really, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? HeadToWallHeadToWallHeadToWallHeadToWall

Gah, I just needed to vent.

Get yourself a visa card ;) I get your drift, I've been collecting since 2003 and I've managed to get 3 pre 2000 releases besides the reissues from DAT, Inpsyde and Avatar. But I think with the resurgence of Goatrance there will be more in the near future at least, I hope. For now I download as much as I can find(and pay for it BTW) of the older releases and when I find the opportunity to buy the CD for a reasonable price I'll buy it. It's the next best thing. :(

No point in making a re-release.

Pressing 500 copies is quite pointless, if only some goa-freaks are going to buy it.

The solution in my opinion, is to put all of the older releases as digital downloads.

Can't get the topic.

What pre-2000 releases are you talking about? If it's about the first Pleiadians album, the Sunimo album or Accidental Occidentalism compilation I can understand, but if you want to build a decent collection of pre-millennium tracks compilations like Goa-Head, Pulse, Distance To Goa, Destination Goa and Tantrance are very easily accessabile. You can't go wrong with these. Similarly, at least 90% of the most glorious artist albums are still very easily accessable and humbly priced. Astral Projection, Hallucinogen, Total Eclipse and Infected Mushroom to mention very basic 4 are still cheap.

Can't get the topic.

What pre-2000 releases are you talking about? If it's about the first Pleiadians album, the Sunimo album or Accidental Occidentalism compilation I can understand, but if you want to build a decent collection of pre-millennium tracks compilations like Goa-Head, Pulse, Distance To Goa, Destination Goa and Tantrance are very easily accessabile. You can't go wrong with these. Similarly, at least 90% of the most glorious artist albums are still very easily accessable and humbly priced. Astral Projection, Hallucinogen, Total Eclipse and Infected Mushroom to mention very basic 4 are still cheap.

Indeed! By the way, you can still buy some oldschool albums on the Phonokol website! Straight from the source for only 8$. You just need to know your CD's and shops/websites. :)

Can't get the topic.

Where?

All old and new Elysium material is 100% free. So no fancy prices here ;)

www.elysiumworld.dk

I know :) but I'm looking for hard copies here.

Indeed! By the way, you can still buy some oldschool albums on the Phonokol website! Straight from the source for only 8$. You just need to know your CD's and shops/websites. :)

This is actually helpful. You actually named a site where I could get some.

Indeed, Discogs, Ebay and also the Selliing category at psynews/isratrance/... - there you can find some cheaper albums. Patience is here extremly useful.

Some classics, however, will never get cheap. :(

It's also useful to buy more items from the same seller, maybe get some friends to also check his inventory. This way the shipping expenses go way down..

No point in making a re-release.

Pressing 500 copies is quite pointless, if only some goa-freaks are going to buy it.

The solution in my opinion, is to put all of the older releases as digital downloads.

Pointless??? I disagree! Why is it that some record company's are releasing reissues of classics of the 90's. Because they love the music and want to offer a decent cd release to us , the buyers. Downloads are good but it never beats a genuine cd release which is affordable. I hope they are gonna release a lot more of these reissues in the near future! :rolleyes:

Pointless??? I disagree! Why is it that some record company's are releasing reissues of classics of the 90's. Because they love the music and want to offer a decent cd release to us , the buyers. Downloads are good but it never beats a genuine cd release which is affordable. I hope they are gonna release a lot more of these reissues in the near future! :rolleyes:

Pointless from a business perspective, not a fan perspective. Old schoolers already have the old albums, so the customer base is all newer fans. Now if you have a new album, the customer base is everyone who is willing to buy.

Pointless from a business perspective, not a fan perspective. Old schoolers already have the old albums, so the customer base is all newer fans. Now if you have a new album, the customer base is everyone who is willing to buy.

Then why are some record company's releasing reissues like for instance Transdimensional by Dimension 5(Suntrip), Dragon tales by Koxbox(Inpsyde), Lost in time by Zirrex(Hado records),...because it's pointless from a business perspective??? It's not because the old schoolers have all the classic albums that there is no market for it. If you haven't had the opportunity to buy these albums when they were originally released like me than these reissues are Godsend. Or maybe you just don't care ...O... I have the album then it's pointless to do a reissue...come on!!! :angry:

Then why are some record company's releasing reissues like for instance Transdimensional by Dimension 5(Suntrip), Dragon tales by Koxbox(Inpsyde), Lost in time by Zirrex(Hado records),...because it's pointless from a business perspective??? It's not because the old schoolers have all the classic albums that there is no market for it. If you haven't had the opportunity to buy these albums when they were originally released like me than these reissues are Godsend. Or maybe you just don't care ...O... I have the album then it's pointless to do a reissue...come on!!! :angry:

A few albums may be re-released out of specific interest, but overall I just don't think it makes business sense for any label to consider re-releasing large numbers of out of print albums. I also would love to get my hands on many of those old releases, but I understand that in most cases it makes little sense to do so. Ask Draeke or Mars about it if you really want to know.

Wasn't Transdimensional pretty hard to find before it was re-released? I don't really know about the other two - I haven't heard much Koxbox and I've never heard of Zirrex.

Get a job and stop whining.

How about you stop being a douche and get the fact I'm still a student with limited amount of money.

And even if I had the money, I wouldn't pay those ridiculous prices either way. Collecting is fun, yeah, but wasting money is not.

mars, on 21 April 2010 - 11:54 AM, said:

With all due respect, Kristian, this is not true.

Ok, to begin with, many so-called limited editions are actually 1000 copys batches. Fewer are 500 copies batches.

And when you know most labels nowadays only press 1000 as an initial volume, you realize many "limited edition" labelled cds are just a crook to make you buy the stuff.

Within the techno scenes, I consider 500 copies a limited edition. Not 1000.

Secondly, pressing a cd involves "fixed costs", one of them being the glassmaster, the kind-of negative that's used to press the final product. This sole item can be between 150 and 300€. Worth mentioning that you don't pay it again if your batch is a reissue from the same factory, but sometimes there are years between 2 batches and material gets archived and lost... That's not all: fatories may allow you to press any random number of cds, but only a multiple of 1000 paper parts (booklet, tray). You want 1200 copies? You pay 1200 cds and 2000 paper parts! In other words, the system is such that if you press under 1000 copies, the price/cd skyrockets and you need to sell more to make money...whereas you actually pressed less.

An example? Ok. Let's take an average release: CD replication with full-color, jewelbox with transpaprent tray, full color 4-page booklet, full color tray/back, shrink wrap, shipping, and assume there are no replication rights or royalties or promotion.

* With a eastern europe factory I know: 1000 copies = 727€ cds (0,72/cd). 500 cds = 722€ (1,44/cd).

* Not convinced? A big UK factory then: 2000 cds = 1412€ (0,71/cd). 1200 cds = 1008€ (0,84/cd). 1000 cds = 769€ (0,77/cd). 500 cds = 746€ (1,49/cd). 200 cds = 594€ (2,97/cd).

With an average distributor gross price, break even is at 160 copies with a 1000 cds batch whereas break even is at 124 copies with a 200 cds batch. Your cash flow will be very limited with the remaining 76 copies, so will be your possibilities of reinvestment.

We studied it thoroughly at Suntrip because we want to repress our early releases. In the real world you also pay artists advances, promotion, copyrights, promos, etc, which makes the break even amount much higher. We came to the conclusion that we should keep the factory price/cd under 0,80€.

Conclusion:

- a real limited edition generates less revenue than a normal batch.

- to be economically profitable, it's better to press at least 1000 copies, even for a reissue.

<_<

Piss off, gaywhale.

HHmmm ... gaywhale ... another old school collector I guess with nothing to say except... gaywhale. Man that doesn't even sound offensive. My five year old nephew can come up with something more insulting that!

Guest antic

HHmmm ... gaywhale ... another old school collector I guess with nothing to say except... gaywhale. Man that doesn't even sound offensive. My five year old nephew can come up with something more insulting that!

It wasn't meant for you, but for the user above you whose posts has now been deleted by the admin. BWhale is/was a guy coming here to start up controversial topic, to start fights and offend people. He was banned several times, but comes back occasionally under different nicknames.

So chill :)

It wasn't meant for you, but for the user above you whose posts has now been deleted by the admin. BWhale is/was a guy coming here to start up controversial topic, to start fights and offend people. He was banned several times, but comes back occasionally under different nicknames.

O I see ... I'm fairly new to this forum...don't know this bwhale...thought Rotwang was picking a fight...now I understand the gaywhale thing...excuse me officer :unsure:

A few albums may be re-released out of specific interest, but overall I just don't think it makes business sense for any label to consider re-releasing large numbers of out of print albums. I also would love to get my hands on many of those old releases, but I understand that in most cases it makes little sense to do so. Ask Draeke or Mars about it if you really want to know.

Wasn't Transdimensional pretty hard to find before it was re-released? I don't really know about the other two - I haven't heard much Koxbox and I've never heard of Zirrex.

It will be nearly impossible to reissue ALL the classic releases but I would settle for a few of the classics like I.F.O. by the Pleiadians. If you take the big names from those days and reissue those classics whom are out of print I don't think it's pointless: the record company's can benefit from the big names they are reissuing and the young crowd can buy a proper release. ;)

Dragon tales by Koxbox and Lost in time by Zirrex are worth checking out + they are available!

O I see ... I'm fairly new to this forum...don't know this bwhale...thought Rotwang was picking a fight...now I understand the gaywhale thing...excuse me officer :unsure:

Sorry, my fault. I should have quoted Bwhale for context. As antic says, it wasn't meant to be a reply to your post.

Sorry, my fault. I should have quoted Bwhale for context. As antic says, it wasn't meant to be a reply to your post.

I was ready to take you on anytime anywhere brother :ph34r::lol:

What he meant to say was..

Posted Image

On Topic: Like previously stated discogs, ebay and isratrance/psynews great places to find old stuff at usually reasonable prices (depending on it's scarcity). Not that I condone file sharing, but that is always an option and you can check to see if that artist has a working internet site where you can currently donate to them directly, because any of those other avenues stated above, the money isn't going to go to the artist anyway so it's a moot point.

I know about discogs for quite a while now. I'm sure you can find classics at reasonable prices. But I'm talking about those rare classics whom are ridiculously priced like 50 euro's or more and the fact should they be reissued or not. Anyway thanks for sharing!