NEED suggestions

murphythecat

Hi psyfreaks!

For the first time, ive listen to all the old compilation releases by tip record, and OH my FUCKIN god, this IS psytrance! I now understand all the fuss about the old psytrance being better than the shit that is coming out nowadays.

So, what album should I get next???

so you're completely new to this oldschool stuff? just want to be sure before i bore you with suggesting well known releases.

Completely new! I know everything thats come out since 2000, but before that, im a virgin! Apart the stuff made by hallucinogen.

I dont LOVE pleaidians tough, I dont really like GOA.

in this case it's advisable to check out some more compilations to get a good overview.

like Tantrance 1 - 6, Pulse 1 - 6, Goa Inside 1 - 3.

also try earlier albums by Cosmosis, Astral Projection, Asia 2001, Koxbox, MFG, UX, Prana

Some of the more "obvious" old school psy-trance releases you have check if you haven't already done so:

Koxbox - Forever After

Koxbox - Dragon Tales

Growling Mad Scientists* - Chaos Laboratory

Growling Mad Scientists* - The Growly Family

Sandman (2) - Witchcraft

Sandman (2) - Psycho Toons

Process (2) - One Drop Or Two?

Yamabikaya - The Arrival

I am trying to keep it psy-trance oriented (as it sounds like you would like psy-trance request, even though I also think it sounds a bit confusing as Goa-Head puts it). But I guess there are many cross-breads, and that is a good thing, no need to pigeon-hole everything (even though it's fun sometimes :P) !

ED:

some more... still no pigeon-holing :P

Hux Flux - Cryptic Crunch

Squaremeat - Squarebeat

Squaremeat - Wave Soup

Edited by Drosophila

If it's really your first dive into the oldschool and you started with TIP and you think to continue the journey label by label, I suggest you jump to Dragonfly next. You can pass their first CD since it's very basic and dated 1993 Trance. Same for Blue Room Released, you can safely pass their 1st CD since it's half Techno but I think wouldn't do bad listening it. Next try labels like Flying Rhino. Most of their backcatalogue is downloadable for free from their website, but the real old-skool sound is their 1996/1997 releases; by 1998 they had jumped to Progressive and Housey sound so it's not what you call real old sound. Try also Matsuri 1995 - 1997, by 1998 label had been experimenting in what's not.

Those were my label suggestions. As for compilation series try:

Goa-Head 1 to 7, maybe 8 and 9 later.

Tantrance 1 to 8

Pulse 1 to 6, maybe 7 later

Distance to Goa 1 to 7

Goa Vibes 1 to 3

These are always safe bets.

You liked the TIP comps but didn't like Pleiadians or AP, kind of confusing. The link in my signature has got most of the good stuff down, you could listen and see what you like and don't like. Maybe you'd like Dark goa which is closer to psy? MFG,Darshan,Xenomorph...

And wow, haven't heard any pre-2000 stuff? :ph34r:

Thnaks a lot, I dont know why, but I never tought the old psytrance was THAT good :ph34r:

Shame on me: the thing is, I've listen to some albums like old old eat static, or koxbox, or logic bomb, and it didnt made me freak out in the first place, but now, I feel like if i'm ready to listen to mostly all the old classics, and find some hidden treasure!!!!

I dont like Hux-flux.

Thanks for the suggestions, and keep them coming!!!!

And for some weird reason all the pystrance I know and listen is from pre-2000

For the first time, ive listen to all the old compilation releases by tip record, and OH my FUCKIN god, this IS psytrance! I now understand all the fuss about the old psytrance being better than the shit that is coming out nowadays.

Which V/A was that exactly? My favourite V/A-s from TIP are Blue, Phosphorescent, Orange, 3D, TIP Singles vol. 2; but damn, they're all at least very good!

Confused. You don't like GOA and you were blasted by the TIP old CD's ?

You liked the TIP comps but didn't like Pleiadians or AP, kind of confusing.

Well, I can fully relate to murphy's situation, because I'm the same - I LIKE Pleiadians and AP, but am very far, far away from LOVING their music. The pinnacle of old-school psychedelic trance music for me is Cosmosis "Synergy", closely followed by (in alphabetical order):

• Koxbox "Dragon Tales" (+ the singles: Life Is, Stratosfear, Too Pure),
  • Psychopod "Headlines E.P.",
  • Deviant Electronics "Brainwashing Is Child's Play",
  • Hallucinogen "The Lone Deranger",
  • Ominus' "Ominus",
  • Orichalcum & The Deviant "Orichalcum & The Deviant",
  • Psychaos "Cause And Effect",
  • Shakta "Silicon Trip",
  • Slide "Unstable",
  • Somaton "Future Memories",
  • Space Tribe "Sonic Mandala",
  • Technossomy "Synthetic Flesh",
  • The Green Nuns of The Revolution "Rock Bitch Mafia",
  • Transwave "Helium",
  • UX "Ultimate Experience",
  • Flying Rhino's V/A (Airborn, First Flight, Boyd In The Void),
  • X-Dream "Radio" (+ Radiohead & The Frog singles),
  • X-Dream "Panic In Paradise",

As you can see, these are not very melodic (like AP or Pleiadians), but much more on the psychedelic, twisted, mental side of things.

we should gather all the suggestion and make the "core" suggested psytrance albums. :)

Maybe you'd like Dark goa which is closer to psy? MFG,Darshan,Xenomorph...

MFG is dark goa?! didn't i listen carefully enough? i always had the impression that MFG sounds similar to Astral Projection, just a little harder or wilder.

MFG is dark goa?! didn't i listen carefully enough? i always had the impression that MFG sounds similar to Astral Projection, just a little harder or wilder.

Project Genesis and The Message are dark/dark-ish Goa IMO.