Remastered and Rereleased Oldschool Music

Laserflip

I wanna buy some Music for my Oldschool Collection. What I've found:

Cosmosis - Retro Vol 1+2

Dimension 5 - Transdimensional

any others out there?

Avatar records has rereleased many-many old school gems.

Wouldn't an oldschool collection be the original releases, not remastered "fake" new versions of them? :blink:

He said old school music not old scholl cds.

Old school music is still old school in a remastered ''fake'' version.

Wouldn't an oldschool collection be the original releases, not remastered "fake" new versions of them? :blink:

I've heard this argument quite a few times :)

I don't agree with it though, while I fully understand. First of all, whoever is persistent with this attitude oftenly lacks what it takes to elaborate upon the concept of "fake new versions". If the music is defined as old school goa trance, then all technicalites and geekish software improvements set aside - it remains old school goa trance. Period. Exclamation mark. Whichever one you prefer. We all know what an original CD looks like, be it an Avatar reissue or an old Matsuri dusty CD you saw Shiva's sister in while combing your hair.

A collection of old school goa trance directly implies you have CDs/vinyls/DATs defined as old school goa trance. Different bar codes, cat.# and sound improvements, whatever, are frequently possibilites to shed light on forgotten gems, and give new comers a possibility to have a peak at what was it all about a decade and maybe some more ago. It's not a crusade against old school goa trance, but a well intentional step toward giving some of that stuff respect long time overdo.

One additional thing: most die hard old school collectors have both, the original and the re-issue, 'cause now one can sit on the shelf and look nice, while the other is used for playing :)

I'm a eager collector of original CD's, but I'm not so picky about a Koxbox - Dragon Tales CD being original release or re-release. As long as I got it I'm happy and proud. Of course, some sense of extra pride would be placed by having the authentic release but it's not important, at all.

You don't give anything respect by mass producing it in a cheaper new modified form from what it was originally created, they're just out to make more money off it.

Do you really believe that Avatar is making money from the re-issues series?

You don't give anything respect by mass producing it in a cheaper new modified form from what it was originally created, they're just out to make more money off it.

Sorry man that's just nonsense! By buying re-released CDs u actually do show the artist respect, since u actually give "direct" support to the artist(s) who made the music, instead of sponsoring another collector! I mean wtf does the artist gain from that?

Sorry man that's just nonsense! By buying re-released CDs u actually do show the artist respect, since u actually give "direct" support to the artist(s) who made the music, instead of sponsoring another collector! I mean wtf does the artist gain from that?

Giving someone money isn't the same as giving them respect. Would paying a prostitute also being showing her respect? :unsure:

And it's hardly respectful of an object to mass produce cheap imitation copies of it.

And yes, this will pull in money. I'm not claiming goa trance it's the biggest cash cow genre or anything. :rolleyes:

Giving someone money isn't the same as giving them respect. Would paying a prostitute also being showing her respect? :unsure:

And it's hardly respectful of an object to mass produce cheap imitation copies of it.

And yes, this will pull in money. I'm not claiming goa trance it's the biggest cash cow genre or anything. :rolleyes:

What's so "cheap" about a re-release?

In many cases the sound is remastered, at least attempting to make it sounds better and sometimes even extra track or two (Sandman, Elysium) or even entire bonus CD (Planet BEN) are added.

OK it will "pull in" money, but so what? No one is being forced to buy it.

Is selling something hoping to make money bad?

What's so "cheap" about a re-release?

In many cases the sound is remastered, at least attempting to make it sounds better and sometimes even extra track or two (Sandman, Elysium) or even entire bonus CD (Planet BEN) are added.

OK it will "pull in" money, but so what? No one is being forced to buy it.

Is selling something hoping to make money bad?

Most of the ones I've seen they seem to come in crappy new jewel cases that are usually broken in the mail with modernized gaudy version of the original artwork. It's like the made in china cheap version marketed directly at people who aren't willing to fork out a little more for an original copy. Also umm the mastering is part of what makes the music, so why try to change or "improve" it 10 years later? That's not being true to the music or preserving it, but bastardizing it instead and trying to suck a little cash out of it's fame.

Most of the ones I've seen they seem to come in crappy new jewel cases that are usually broken in the mail with modernized gaudy version of the original artwork. It's like the made in china cheap version marketed directly at people who aren't willing to fork out a little more for an original copy. Also umm the mastering is part of what makes the music, so why try to change or "improve" it 10 years later? That's not being true to the music or preserving it, but bastardizing it instead and trying to suck a little cash out of it's fame.

1) jewel case vs digipack - which one is easier to replace? Or just a broken jewelcase.. I guess new ones aren't that hard to find :)

2) artwork - I partially agree (hicksville for example)

3) mail order - it's not the labels fault, the shops are irresponsible

4) "who aren't willing to fork out a little more for an original copy" khm? No comment.

1) If the jewel case is broken is not the labels fault, unless you really believe they use broken jewel cases in the first place.

I have bought many-many Avatar rereleases and none of them had a broken jewel case.

2) Now the artwork. Not really sure what are you talking about. Possibly in some reissues the new artwork sucks, but in most of them are simply an artwork. You act like the new artworks are made with MS paint or something.

3) Now the mastering. I can tell you that most of the time is almost the same. Personally I can't hear any difference between the original and the ''remastered'' version of Indoor-Progressive Dance. Maybe some hats are cleaner, but that's it. I agree that trying to improve the original sound may lead to a crappy result especially with the overcompression of our days, but I haven't listened that far to a rerelease that 'kills' the original sound.

4) You do know that not everyone in this planet has the money to buy a used original version of a cd when some of the times is priced even 100 euros? And not everyone wants to buy stuff from a seller in the net etc.

I can partially understand why you're bitching, you believe that these re-releases may ''kill'' the price and importance of the originals, but like rino said if someone wants to buy the original he buys the original even if he has 20 of rereleased copies.

BTW does the 'b' in your name comes from bitching?

Transwave's Phototropic album is available on Juno-Download as of today. Costs 8.86 EUR for the 320 kbps download.

They have a lot of old school classics already in their catalog and more and more are coming. I think this is ok. Many Goa classic second-hand CDs are so ridiculously overpriced. I still prefer CDs, but if some label will kick out the Etnica Juggeling Alchemists album, I will gladly buy it whatever format it is.

:lol: omg :lol:

I think most artist would disagree on your concept of respect!!! :rolleyes: